F

flakeyknight

Jan 1, 2021
Absolutely tired of university and seeing my classmates do well doing less than me is demoralizing. I can spend weeks studying and still do worse than them. I could work on a college essay during the summer and get rejected while they can wait 1 week before the deadline and get accepted. It feels like a never ending uphill climb trying to compete with these people. And even though I am complaining I still have it better than some of my classmates. On my university's subreddit this student enrolled in a class the same time as me said they went to office hours, did extra textbook problems and watched YouTube videos only to get a C+. Meanwhile I overslept daily, didn't go to class for several weeks and still got a B-.

I cant understand a single thing from my textbook and our professor assumes we know more than we do. Averages are all low, grade deflation at this school is insane and professors hate curving. My classmates are showing off all these accomplishments on Linkedin while I can barley do the bare minimum textbook work.

Growth mindset doesn't exist...you're either born smart or you're not. The only way to barley compete is to slave away your entire life studying. Nowadays you need to be a genius to live a semi comfortable life in an apartment. Otherwise you aren't worthy of a living wage.

• Hugs
Reactions: Codependent loner, actual_fox, GasMonkey and 1 other person
StrangeAndDeath

StrangeAndDeath

Exhausted Human
Oct 12, 2022
Absolutely tired of university and seeing my classmates do well doing less than me is demoralizing. I can spend weeks studying and still do worse than them. I could work on a college essay during the summer and get rejected while they can wait 1 week before the deadline and get accepted. It feels like a never ending uphill climb trying to compete with these people. And even though I am complaining I still have it better than some of my classmates. On my university's subreddit this student enrolled in a class the same time as me said they went to office hours, did extra textbook problems and watched YouTube videos only to get a C+. Meanwhile I overslept daily, didn't go to class for several weeks and still got a B-.

I cant understand a single thing from my textbook and our professor assumes we know more than we do. Averages are all low, grade deflation at this school is insane and professors hate curving. My classmates are showing off all these accomplishments on Linkedin while I can barley do the bare minimum textbook work.

Growth mindset doesn't exist...you're either born smart or you're not. The only way to barley compete is to slave away your entire life studying. Nowadays you need to be a genius to live a semi comfortable life in an apartment. Otherwise you aren't worthy of a living wage.
I'm really sorry man. I really am. I understand this on some level.

I don't know if this will help but I read somewhere that people (mathematicians in that instance) use something called a schema before they can completely understand a problem. A schema is like an aggregation of different pieces of knowledge you need to comprehend a problem. So my advice, if you haven't done so already, is to try and dig deep into those subjects. Find out their component subjects and gain some understanding before tackling the target problem.

Also, I have found that reading research papers help. If you don't know where to get research articles, check zlibrary.

GasMonkey

GasMonkey

Nitrogen Master Race
May 15, 2022
Genetics are everything.

NeverReallyHere

NeverReallyHere

Mar 15, 2021
Lots of people I know live relatively comfortable lives and are by no means geniuses. In my experience the people who succeed materially in life possess one or more of these attributes:
  • Inherited wealth
  • A skill or set of skills which are in high demand
  • An ability to bullshit effectively and to game the system to their advantage

Last edited:
Reactions: actual_fox
almaranthine

almaranthine

Wizard
Nov 28, 2019
University made me irrationally angry... oddly enough, I had the opposite experience as you due to the major I chose: English BA. I found the courses to be infuriatingly easy and was upset that I could literally not read any of the required texts and formulate shitty essays based on lecture notes and skimming online resources and still get passing grades. I realized that I was paying to essentially learn absolutely fucking nothing for the most part and would graduate with a degree that was pretty much useless. I wanted to call it quits many times, and eventually my mental illness decided that battle for me. Never finished that degree and here I am almost a decade later. I genuinely don't think my life would have been better if I had completed it. Of course university experience is vastly different based on where one goes to school and what one studies. I'm sorry you are struggling with it, but just know, you aren't alone... many struggle with the college experience in one way or another.

makebelieve

makebelieve

Apr 19, 2022
Being lazy and low iq is living hell for me.

• Hugs
Reactions: actual_fox