lomorbu

lomorbu

the stars are already dead
Jun 16, 2024
It's so frustrating that we are forced to grow old because we are robbed of our choice to end life on our terms.

There's nothing worth living long for. Technology is making it so people live even longer into old age, but what is the point of that? That sounds terrifying to be trapped in your decaying body while your mind still feels younger than it is. If you end up with no money, no loved ones, it sounds like a hell on earth.

Aging forces people to make decisions they wouldn't necessarily do on their own. People rush into marriages because they don't want to die alone. They take on jobs they hate so they don't live in an absolute shit hole. Most people now can't even form connections let alone make enough money to afford the cost of living. I envy a reality where you can choose when to end it all because in that small window of time you could see into infinity. Suddenly you're free of the expectations to plan for the misery that is growing old, and you get to spend your life on your terms.

• Love
Reactions: Tired_birth_1967, divinemistress36, world is unfair and 8 others
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
It's so frustrating that we are forced to grow old because we are robbed of our choice to end life on our terms.

There's nothing worth living long for. Technology is making it so people live even longer into old age, but what is the point of that? That sounds terrifying to be trapped in your decaying body while your mind still feels younger than it is. If you end up with no money, no loved ones, it sounds like a hell on earth.

Aging forces people to make decisions they wouldn't necessarily do on their own. People rush into marriages because they don't want to die alone. They take on jobs they hate so they don't live in an absolute shit hole. Most people now can't even form connections let alone make enough money to afford the cost of living. I envy a reality where you can choose when to end it all because in that small window of time you could see into infinity. Suddenly you're free of the expectations to plan for the misery that is growing old, and you get to spend your life on your terms.
This is so true. I worked in a nursing home old age is a worse hell

Every human and sentient animal gets very old . This makes life bad not good like they say .

Also the unbearable pain possible and
probable further more makes life bad

Last edited:
Reactions: SMmetalhead36, sserafim and lomorbu
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Yes, it truly would be a punishment and under no circumstances would I ever wish to reach the hellish and hopeless fate of being tormented by old age. I certainly do see nothing desirable about suffering for decades just slowly dying destined for nothing but to decay and die in immense agony, permanent non-existence is always preferable to me than such an abomination, it truly disgusts me how access to painless death isn't a human right as not everyone wishes to be tortured in an existence that was always so futile in the first place.

Reactions: YandereMikuMistress, SMmetalhead36, Superdeterminist and 3 others
D

dolemitedrums

Arcanist
Jun 12, 2024
I think most people prefer getting old to the alternative so people on a suicide site looking (usually) for the most peaceful way out are a minority and also not a very powerful lobby, and also one that shrinks every time someone achieves what they want. Anyway, I'm happy for all the people enjoying old age and life at any age. For some of us, events and their consequences just add up to the point where the value of continued existence calculates to a number less than zero. There ought to be an avenue out with minimal pain and maximum dignity...but I have always been happy that my elderly relatives seem to enjoy life. I certainly wouldn't try to talk them out of it. It's inspiring if anything.

Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Getting older has both good and bad aspects. In my experience, so long as your health holds up the good ones tend to outweigh the bad ones. Getting older is not, by itself, a good reason to ctb.

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowjester
L

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
i still cannot comprehend the fact that transhumanists exist

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
Timothy7dff

Timothy7dff

Wizard
Apr 10, 2024
Jimi Hendrix said that if you don't have kids or grandkids, there's really no point to getting old. You should die young. IMO, he was right.

Reactions: divinemistress36
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
In my opinion, ageing is bad primarily because of loss of appearance and breakdown of health. It is absolutely a disease, I will never accept the 'ageing is fine and natural' view. It's only natural in the strict sense that it isn't man-made.

Reactions: sserafim
darkenmydoorstep

darkenmydoorstep

Not Waving But Browned Off….
Sep 27, 2023

I remember reading the book 'Tuesdays with Morrie'. Was supposed to be (I think) about the small joys we can find when one deteriorates but I just found it bloody depressing. I remember him being happy with someone just brushing his hair. All I could see was having hardly any control. Lack of control frightens me. The idea of being reduced to someone who can hardly function and that having my hair brushed is all I have just depresses me.

Last edited:
Reactions: divinemistress36
JustA_LittlePerson

JustA_LittlePerson

One person in a sea...
May 21, 2024
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

enduringwinter

enduringwinter

flower, water
Jun 20, 2024
Growing old is fine if you are relatively healthy and stable, just as it is at any other age. Old age is not special. For most people, living just means more time to enjoy things. It's because we the unfortunate lack basic things that living is so punishing.

S

Suspect_Device

Student
Jul 10, 2022
Speaking from experience, old age comes on suddenly in the form of unfixable health problems and it is horrible. Especially in America where health problems are coupled with financial ruin. Luckily we have easy access to guns at least. I was stupid to think that youth could extend past 40. Hollywood really distorts things, those old actors don't actually look that good and they no doubt are in physical pain.

Reactions: Tired_birth_1967