Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
So I'd had a particularly disastrous day at work and had been fuming internally at my manager over a couple of unrelated issues. A colleague had suddenly gone cold on me and I had convinced myself that the manager had said something to cause it. Last month, I'd also been denied what would have been my first week of annual leave in 2.5 years despite requesting it in the midst of a shaky psychological state. By contrast, I had had a friend tell me about a colleague at another workplace who was given a month off, on full pay, as soon as it was revealed that he was going through mental health struggles.

Anyway, it turns out that my grievances amounted to misunderstandings and miscommunications causing me to demonise the manager's character, though by this time I had virtually reduced him to tears. Unfortunately, coming from a family/school background of bona fide brutalisers gives me a vicious edge in times of rage, in contrast to my polite and generous everyday persona, that tends to shock people when it does come out. I've never had any family support, and in recent years my last pseudo-family friendships eroded to nothing.

So anyway, I have no choice but to take some sort of action. I have made an appointment to initiate a mental health plan. The only question mark pertains to what 'angle' to take. My mental health is bad at so many levels that I could be a PTSD sufferer in need of psychotherapy, a normie who is badly deficient in hope for the future, or a high-functioning neurodivergent whose band-aid coping skills have lost their grip.

I have avoided getting involved with the mainstream mental health system ever since having a psychologist write a cruel and damning report attacking my character and supporting my 'charming' narcissist father when I was a teenager. It is an historic day when I have no choice. On the plus side, it will surely legitimise my CTB plans if it ends up just another disaster.

• Hugs
Reactions: Foresight, MellowAvenue, Sister of the Moon and 2 others
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Oh Pluto, I'm sorry to hear you're going through that. I can definitely believe that if you have a vicious edge it would shock people when it comes out, as even when I saw the name of this thread my jaw dropped! I'm sure it would take some outstanding circumstances to bring that out, or a grave misunderstanding.

Being skeptical of the mental health system is a very good way to approach it, but there's no shame at all in looking for a bit of help sometimes, and wouldn't it be great if it proves worthwhile! Especially since it would legitimise for your employer any claim you might have, to be struggling mentally. Not that you should have to justify yourself.

Hope it all goes well mate, and you get to enjoy a bit of weight lifted off your shoulders.