WaitingToGo

WaitingToGo

Experienced
Feb 18, 2023
This morning Had to go to my GP about this chesty cough (turns out it's bronchitis). She asks how I'm doing mentally I told her if they don't help me soon, I'm out of here. I showed a list of the meds and number of Mg of each and asked if this was enough to end it. She said she couldn't tell me. I said you can't or won't. She said won't, we'll I said then I know enough. My meds are still effect And I've enough to ctb
She was very concerned and has arranged another session at the crisis center, which so far has been as useful as a chocolate teapot. I'm also supposed to be going there again next week, but I'm canceling as the last session was a complete waste of time. I'm only going to this one today as the GP arranged it.

Thank god for this place, where else could I write this

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep, LoiteringClouds and d3c96524be95
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
As someone who has made the mistake do be careful about being so frank with doctors. It might be more than a "strong recommendation" next time...

Do you think there could have been anything the center could have done differently that would have been helpful?

Reactions: d3c96524be95 and WaitingToGo
WaitingToGo

WaitingToGo

Experienced
Feb 18, 2023
As someone who has made the mistake do be careful about being so frank with doctors. It might be more than a "strong recommendation" next time...

Do you think there could have been anything the center could have done differently that would have been helpful?
No not really, I was expecting more from them tbh. What happened in your case where you were frank with doctor. It's supposed to be confidential what you tell them at least it is here

jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I wouldn't recommend ODing on medication, it's notoriously unreliable. I wish they'd do more for you. Unfortunately even when sectioned they don't always do much, they just try to see you through your crisis period. After that you're largely left to fend for yourself again. But nevertheless well done for talking to your doctor about these things. It's always worth a shot. Sometimes they do pull their finger out and get you meds or therapy.

Reactions: hrsprayqn, d3c96524be95 and WaitingToGo
D

d3c96524be95

Student
Jan 24, 2023
It's supposed to be confidential what you tell them at least it is here
Well, here (France), if the doctor thinks you're in imminent danger of harming yourself or dying, then there's no such thing as doctor-patient confidentiality. They're bound by the law to actively prevent you from doing what they think you're going to do (whether that's grounded or not). So usually, what they'll do is make sure you are never alone from the moment you leave the consulting room by calling your emergency contacts and deferring the responsibility to them, or an ambulance if they have no other solution or if they think your emergency contacts won't be able to cope.

I made twice the mistake to talk to GPs about non-imminent suicidal thoughts. The first time they tried to call an ambulance to bring me to the psychiatric emergency department, and I had to smooth the rough edges to prevent that from happening (because being brought to PED implies being imprisoned, regardless of your answers to the questions they ask). The second time, they urged me to go to a crisis center immediately (again, I had to fiercely negotiate to not be brought there by an ambulance). The GP promised me they won't lock me up as it was not strictly speaking a PED, but once I was there I had to minimize a lot because they were obviously trying to evaluate the risk to take "appropriate measures". Also, my psychiatrist once thought I had imminent suicide plans because I left the appointment in the middle of a session (and I had talked to her about non-imminent but advanced plans in a previous session). They called my brother (he was the only one who was close enough to "guard" me), and then forced me to go back to my parents where I SH because of how stressful interacting with them was at this moment. I guess I'm compelled to do the same mistakes over and over again.

I think they ultimately want to avoid any legal or moral responsibility in the event of SA, death or SH. It's more about them than it is about you in reality. I'm also very surprised it didn't go further for you. It may depend on the customs of the country you live in or practitioners. I'd generally advise against being too precise about suicidal thoughts with doctors. As I don't want to lie to doctors, I generally clearly state the questions I'm not comfortable answering.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: WaitingToGo
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I believe that it's such a terrible idea being so open about suicide plans, but anyway it's really not surprising that you didn't find the crisis center to be helpful, places like that sound incredibly useless to me and certainly best avoided. But I think that it's true that being so open about suicide just makes things worse and causes more suffering. Suicide is something that is so incredibly stigmatised after all.

WaitingToGo

WaitingToGo

Experienced
Feb 18, 2023
Well, here (France), if the doctor thinks you're in imminent danger of harming yourself or dying, then there's no such thing as doctor-patient confidentiality. They're bound by the law to actively prevent you from doing what they think you're going to do (whether that's grounded or not). So usually, what they'll do is make sure you are never alone from the moment you leave the consulting room by calling your emergency contacts and deferring the responsibility to them, or an ambulance if they have no other solution or if they think your emergency contacts won't be able to cope.

I made twice the mistake to talk to GPs about non-imminent suicidal thoughts. The first time they tried to call an ambulance to bring me to the psychiatric emergency department, and I had to smooth the rough edges to prevent that from happening (because being brought to PED implies being imprisoned, regardless of your answers to the questions they ask). The second time, they urged me to go to a crisis center immediately (again, I had to fiercely negotiate to not be brought there by an ambulance). The GP promised me they won't lock me up as it was not strictly speaking a PED, but once I was there I had to minimize a lot because they were obviously trying to evaluate the risk to take "appropriate measures". Also, my psychiatrist once thought I had imminent suicide plans because I left the appointment in the middle of a session (and I had talked to her about non-imminent but advanced plans in a previous session). They called my brother (he was the only one who was close enough to "guard" me), and then forced me to go back to my parents where I SH because of how stressful interacting with them was at this moment. I guess I'm compelled to do the same mistakes over and over again.

I think they ultimately want to avoid any legal or moral responsibility in the even of SA, death or SH. It's more about them than it is about you in reality. I'm also very surprised it didn't go further for you. It may depend on the customs of the country you live in or practitioners. I'd generally advise against being too precise about suicidal thoughts with doctors. As I don't want to lie to doctors, I generally clearly state the questions I'm not comfortable answering.
Oh my god, that's awful. I live in the Netherlands, I don't think they would do that here. I mean if I thought they would do that to me I wouldn't even go to the doctor in the first place. I'm truly shocked
I believe that it's such a terrible idea being so open about suicide plans, but anyway it's really not surprising that you didn't find the crisis center to be helpful, places like that sound incredibly useless to me and certainly best avoided. But I think that it's true that being so open about suicide just makes things worse and causes more suffering. Suicide is something that is so incredibly stigmatised after all.
Yes I agree to a point but when your head is all over the place I don't think you think or act rationally. It's very difficult when you desperately need someone to talk to or confide in. It was actually better at the crisis center today. I saw a different doctor (one who looked more interested).
In 2 weeks I'm seeing the actual psychiatrist who will be looking after me and they will decide treatment, meds and dosage. So I feel like help is at hand And I do feel a bit more hopeful.

Last edited:
Reactions: rationaltake
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
This morning Had to go to my GP about this chesty cough (turns out it's bronchitis). She asks how I'm doing mentally I told her if they don't help me soon, I'm out of here. I showed a list of the meds and number of Mg of each and asked if this was enough to end it. She said she couldn't tell me. I said you can't or won't. She said won't, we'll I said then I know enough. My meds are still effect And I've enough to ctb
She was very concerned and has arranged another session at the crisis center, which so far has been as useful as a chocolate teapot. I'm also supposed to be going there again next week, but I'm canceling as the last session was a complete waste of time. I'm only going to this one today as the GP arranged it.

Thank god for this place, where else could I write this
bronchitis suck, I remember being sent to the emergency room as a kid because of it and breathing was so painful.

GasMonkey

GasMonkey

Nitrogen Master Race
May 15, 2022
I showed a list of the meds and number of Mg of each and asked if this was enough to end it. She said she couldn't tell me. I said you can't or won't. She said won't,
The truth is that she hadn't the foggiest idea.