eden101

eden101

Student
Aug 12, 2024
i'll update how it went i suppose. what should i say in the first session. i'm confused and i don't know :( there's so much to say. maybe they will guide me but in my experience therapists just sit and wait for you to talk. i'm anxious and i don't even want to go

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: J&L383, kinderbueno, JJ53 and 2 others
GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

The sun rises to insult me.
Jul 15, 2024
Your therapist will guide you during the sessions, don't worry. There's nothing you need to practice or know beforehand.

If your history is complex I would consider writing a detailed chronological summary of your life and discuss it with your therapist. Your therapist will be interested in your history in the first few sessions anyway.

Reactions: kinderbueno, JJ53 and eden101
eden101

eden101

Student
Aug 12, 2024
Your therapist will guide you during the sessions, don't worry. There's nothing you need to practice or know beforehand.

If your history is complex I would consider writing a detailed chronological summary of your life and discuss it with your therapist. Your therapist will be interested in your history in the first few sessions anyway.
ok thank you for replying. yeah i worry because i don't know where to start. i don't have complex mental illnesses maybe but more of a complex timeline i suppose

• Hugs
Reactions: GuessWhosBack
J

JJ53

Aug 19, 2024
Like @GuessWhosBack mentioned, the first few sessions will focus on your history. They will probably ask you a lot of questions, and there are no right or wrong answers. I'd suggest even letting them know that you are feeling anxious. In my experience, most therapists are more than happy to take extra steps to ensure you are comfortable. Best of luck!

Reactions: eden101
eden101

eden101

Student
Aug 12, 2024
Like @GuessWhosBack mentioned, the first few sessions will focus on your history. They will probably ask you a lot of questions, and there are no right or wrong answers. I'd suggest even letting them know that you are feeling anxious. In my experience, most therapists are more than happy to take extra steps to ensure you are comfortable. Best of luck!
really? it's just that in the past they just sat and waited for me to talk. even though it was the first session. and idk what to say 😔 thank you for your wishes. this is reassuring

• Hugs
Reactions: JJ53
J

JJ53

Aug 19, 2024
really? it's just that in the past they just sat and waited for me to talk. even though it was the first session. and idk what to say 😔 thank you for your wishes. this is reassuring
Oh, that sounds quite unusual. At times, silence is an important part of therapy (processing emotions, etc.), but definitely not during the first session. Just in case this happens again (which hopefully it doesn't), have you thought about writing down what you'd like to talk about prior to your appointment? You could even read over it a few times and memorise your notes? I plan on doing this before my GP appointment on Thursday :)

eden101

eden101

Student
Aug 12, 2024
Oh, that sounds quite unusual. At times, silence is an important part of therapy (processing emotions, etc.), but definitely not during the first session. Just in case this happens again (which hopefully it doesn't), have you thought about writing down what you'd like to talk about prior to your appointment? You could even read over it a few times and memorise your notes? I plan on doing this before my GP appointment on Thursday :)
i feel so exhausted to even write it. and my thoughts are all over the place :/ i guess i'll say whatever is on my mind since i'm exhausted and less likely to worry about being vulnerable. i just want help

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: UnrulyNightmare and JJ53