R

releasefrompain

Aug 26, 2024
Does this setup look reasonable? The rope is 12mm nylon, with a bowline knot to the railing. I would climb noosed over the handrail and lower myself carefully. The noose is high up because if it were much lower then it might not be a full suspension. But I'm not sure if the noose is too high or too low or just right. I really hope this setup location will work, as it seems to be my only option in my home. (Thankfully I live home alone, and I feel badly for people who don't.) I'm not good with these physics sorts of things and really want to make sure I get this right. IMG 0984

• Informative
Reactions: Marco77, AlouA, Worndown and 2 others
S

sadyogi

Sep 5, 2024
I hope this doesn't sound crass, but do you have a tape measure? You can just make the measurements to see if the heights/lengths work out.

Then at the bottom of the stairs, grab the rope with your hands to see if the railing and rope will support your body weight.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Plato'sCaveDweller, opheliaoveragain and Praestat_Mori
R

releasefrompain

Aug 26, 2024
I hope this doesn't sound crass, but do you have a tape measure? You can just make the measurements to see if the heights/lengths work out.

Then at the bottom of the stairs, grab the rope with your hands to see if the railing and rope will support your body weight.
I'm not insulted by your reply at all and appreciate it. I do have a tape measure, but I don't think know what to measure. My arm length to the railing? The length of my body from my neck down to the nearest accessible stair? Etc.

Because of my health condition, I'm not strong enough to hold my full body weight up (155 pounds) on the rope, and not being able to test the weight puts the anchor at risk for failing. :(

S

scubadam

just a guy trying to find peace
Aug 4, 2024
to check if the railing is sturdy enough, i would just stand behind it and lean onto it with as much bodyweight as i can. if it doesn't creek or make any weird noises i guess it should be okay if you lower yourself into it slowly. the noose is quite high up, won't your head bump into the wall too much?

Reactions: Alo the obvi alien and releasefrompain
R

releasefrompain

Aug 26, 2024
to check if the railing is sturdy enough, i would just stand behind it and lean onto it with as much bodyweight as i can. if it doesn't creek or make any weird noises i guess it should be okay if you lower yourself into it slowly. the noose is quite high up, won't your head bump into the wall too much?
It will bunp into the wall, but if I lower the noose so it won't, then my feet will be too close to the stairs for a full suspension. It's a dilemma that makes me wonder if this anchor point will work or not.

opheliaoveragain

opheliaoveragain

Eating Disordered Junkie
Jun 2, 2024

Def weight check your rope.

Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sleep is good, death is better.
Sep 2, 2024
Does this setup look reasonable? The rope is 12mm nylon, with a bowline knot to the railing. I would climb noosed over the handrail and lower myself carefully. The noose is high up because if it were much lower then it might not be a full suspension. But I'm not sure if the noose is too high or too low or just right. I really hope this setup location will work, as it seems to be my only option in my home. (Thankfully I live home alone, and I feel badly for people who don't.) I'm not good with these physics sorts of things and really want to make sure I get this right.View attachment 149835
It looks alright to me. What I'd do is get something like a broomstick or a metal bar of some sort and put it through the loop (or noose) and hang from it by your hands for a while. Maybe shake and yank on it with your whole body weight just to make sure the railing and rope can handle convulsions. It's better for the railing, rope, and knots to break now rather than during a real attempt. But if they're all good enough, then I don't see anything wrong with this setup.

edit: just read that you have a health condition that prevents you from weight testing your setup. I apologize for suggesting this then. In this case, I don't think anyone can say for certain whether your setup is good. Visually, it looks serviceable.

R

releasefrompain

Aug 26, 2024
I was able to use a broomstick like you said and it worked fine. I didn't even hear a creak.

I'm wondering, which is better to secure the rope, a bowline knot or a snuggle hitch? I've read both used here. In my photo I have a bowline knot.

Also, is there some way I can prevent my head from banging against the wall? Maybe wearing a bicycle helmet or some kind of soft padding on my head?

S

sadyogi

Sep 5, 2024
I was able to use a broomstick like you said and it worked fine. I didn't even hear a creak.

I'm wondering, which is better to secure the rope, a bowline knot or a snuggle hitch? I've read both used here. In my photo I have a bowline knot.

Also, is there some way I can prevent my head from banging against the wall? Maybe wearing a bicycle helmet or some kind of soft padding on my head?
If the bowline knot worked in that instance, I'd stick with what you know to work. Both knots do the job, and it doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble to experiment especially if you know bowline works.

I think as long as the helmet doesn't get in the way of the rope, I can see how it would help with the possible banging. Another thing to consider is getting some soft foam padding to put on the wall, but that's up to you.

Reactions: releasefrompain
R

releasefrompain

Aug 26, 2024
If the bowline knot worked in that instance, I'd stick with what you know to work. Both knots do the job, and it doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble to experiment especially if you know bowline works.

I think as long as the helmet doesn't get in the way of the rope, I can see how it would help with the possible banging. Another thing to consider is getting some soft foam padding to put on the wall, but that's up to you.
Thanks for that. I think padding is a good idea. I have some light padding made for a bed that I could try trimming and attaching to the wall. It's a pretty light material, not heavy like memory foam. Would I try nailing it up? Or using some kind of glue? I wish I wasn't so stupid when it comes to engineering.

S

sadyogi

Sep 5, 2024
Thanks for that. I think padding is a good idea. I have some light padding made for a bed that I could try trimming and attaching to the wall. It's a pretty light material, not heavy like memory foam. Would I try nailing it up? Or using some kind of glue? I wish I wasn't so stupid when it comes to engineering.
Nailing might be the easiest if you can maneuver your arms through the vertical railing bars while you're on your hands and knees from the upper floor. If you have access to a ladder, that might be easier on your body as well.

Glue will work too but that sounds like an even greater pain the ass to wait for it to dry. What if the padding can't support itself before the glue dries? Then you need to find something to prop it up, and for how long too?

I'd go with nailing the foam padding into the walls if you want to go that route

R

releasefrompain

Aug 26, 2024
One more question about this setup. I'm worried that when SI kicks in I will try to pull myself up from the railing or step with my left leg on to the hand rail and this will make me fail at suspension. Are thse worries warranted? If so, how can I avoid them?

Last edited:
Alo the obvi alien

Alo the obvi alien

Planner
Jun 20, 2023
I wouldn't even use that rope. Seems too thin. Someone mentioned it should be at least ½ an inch. If you have enough rope, I would make thicker.

Reactions: scubadam
R

releasefrompain

Aug 26, 2024
It's 1/2 inch.
I wouldn't even use that rope. Seems too thin. Someone mentioned it should be at least ½ an inch. If you have enough rope, I would make thicker.
It's 1/2 inch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alo the obvi alien