sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
So, there's a place 1-3 hours from my home where you can pull off the highway and park right beside this perfect vast wide open example of the Great Plains. CTBing in a place like that that's also fairly close to home is really important to me, and it's the best most feasible option I've seen so far.

The distance is also good since it'll give me a good excuse for leaving house, there's music I'll want to listen to on the way, and if I somehow botch shooting myself nobody'll get there before I bleed out.

Unfortunately, the huge area isn't just open- like everywhere else I've seen there's a short easily hoppable fence. This isn't really avoidable if I'm CTBing in any of the wide open spaces I'd prefer as something like 90% of the plains are privately owned. This particular field is used to graze cattle intermittently and aside from the highway there aren't human structures of any kind for many miles.

I plan on walking a long ways away from the highway deep into the emptiness, so I estimate the risk of cattle hands, cows, or random passers-by giving me trouble is as likely or less likely than a ranger, hiker, or bear doing the same to people who CTB deep in the forest. I could be wrong about that, though.

There are a few other things-

- I'm not sure how inconvenient dying far from home in a place only accessible by highway on private (?) property would be for my family and emergency / body recovery services.
- I'm bit worried about consequences for wandering out into this barely used land if I was caught.
- This is a bit silly but could there some way to predict what time of year the cows will be gone? Ultimately I don't care that much if Bessie & co. are around but I'd rather be alone.

Any input/advice would be appreciated. If push comes to shove I can CTB somewhere less ideal but I'd rather die where I want.

Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

Hanging Expert
Aug 2, 2024
You have a gun. You can kill yourself anywhere. By the way, I know that's not what you asked, but I recommend having something to fall back on if your headshot doesn't prove itself lethal at all. You can't simply bleed out from a tiny bullet wound. Have something to fall back on because if you don't you'll end up retarded (literally).

All the best!

• Love
Reactions: sugarb
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
You have a gun. You can kill yourself anywhere. By the way, I know that's not what you asked, but I recommend having something to fall back on if your headshot doesn't prove itself lethal at all. You can't simply bleed out from a tiny bullet wound. Have something to fall back on because if you don't you'll end up retarded (literally).

All the best!
True but I wanted to plan this out, avoid collateral, minimize risk, etc T~T

I was planning on putting a 12 gauge in my mouth, so I don't think I'd be getting a "tiny" bullet wound even if my angle was off. I'd still probably die without medical intervention no matter what.

I don't want to mess around with poison, cutting, or drugs and there aren't any cliffs, trees, or bodies of water to jump/hang/drown in out there so I don't have any backup options. I also probably won't need them since a properly aimed shotgun in the mouth is like a 99%+ chance. But thank you! Hope you have a nice day ^^

Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

Hanging Expert
Aug 2, 2024
True but I wanted to plan this out, avoid collateral, minimize risk, etc T~T

I was planning on putting a 12 gauge in my mouth, so I don't think I'd be getting a "tiny" bullet wound even if my angle was off. I'd still probably die without medical intervention no matter what.

I don't want to mess around with poison, cutting, or drugs and there aren't any cliffs, trees, or bodies of water to jump/hang/drown in out there so I don't have any backup options. I also probably won't need them since a properly aimed shotgun in the mouth is like a 99%+ chance. But thank you! Hope you have a nice day ^^
Heh, let's hope you're right and that it all works out fine. I've seen videos of people being not so lucky.

• Aww..
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
A shotgun into the mouth is about as close to 100% certainty of death that you can get. Sure is gruesome, though. Don't know about your cow dilemma, though. I thought cows grazed all year long. I guess if there are feet of snow on the ground, it might be difficult for them. Someone is bound to hear the blast, maybe anyway. That doesn't mean someone will find you right away, though. What do you plan on doing with your vehicle? Someone is bound to find that sooner rather than later it seems.

Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
Are you from the Midwest as well?

The main thing I would be concerned about is a state trooper spotting your car parked on the side of the highway. They usually stop for those to see if someone needs help, and may do some inspecting. It may be a good idea to try to find a parking spot nearby, like at a truck stop or somewhere else where your car won't be noticed or disturbed for a while?

Whether or not the cows will be there is highly dependent on the person who owns them and probably can't be predicted. But I'd imagine they'd leave you alone if you leave them alone. They won't like come chasing after you as long as you keep your distance lol

If you come across someone working on the property you'll need to have some excuse to why you're there, and then would need to leave, obviously. If you don't seem to be causing any trouble I doubt anyone would try to press legal charges against you

As far as how long it takes for someone to find you, it would probably be a while if you're in a secluded place. Once a family member or someone notices you're missing and files a report, assuming you don't leave a note or anything, or give any indication to where you're going to be, it still could still take a bit for them to locate you. Assuming a farmhand or someone doesn't stumble on you first. Honestly hard to say

• Hugs
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
A shotgun into the mouth is about as close to 100% certainty of death that you can get. Sure is gruesome, though. Don't know about your cow dilemma, though. I thought cows grazed all year long. I guess if there are feet of snow on the ground, it might be difficult for them. Someone is bound to hear the blast, maybe anyway. That doesn't mean someone will find you right away, though. What do you plan on doing with your vehicle? Someone is bound to find that sooner rather than later it seems.
Mhm, thus it being my choice. It'd be nice if it was cleaner yea

Nope, they rotate grazing grounds so the grass can grow back. Ranching fact!

If there's feet of snow on the ground I probably won't be able to walk out there šŸ„² and I'd prefer not being frozen

The area is kind of a scenic spot (not a big tourist destination or anything) and there's a small area to turn off the highway and park in so people can look at it all and etc. My plan is parking there, walking about a half mile away so nobody who pulls into the parking spot can see me walking off into the plains, and then hop the fence. I don't think a highway patrol officer would notice or care about a car being parked there at whatever time I get there (probably the afternoon-ish) since it's a regular parking lot. Maybe if I'm out there for hours, though.

There's a gate I could use instead of hopping the fence somewhere along the highway but I'm not sure exactly how far it is from the parking lot. I'm going to survey the area on Google Maps in a bit.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
You kinda sound like you got it all planned out. Yeah, that makes sense about changing the grazing grounds for the cows.

• Hugs
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Are you from the Midwest as well?

The main thing I would be concerned about is a state trooper spotting your car parked on the side of the highway. They usually stop for those to see if someone needs help, and may do some inspecting. It may be a good idea to try to find a parking spot nearby, like at a truck stop or somewhere else where your car won't be noticed or disturbed for a while?

Whether or not the cows will be there is highly dependent on the person who owns them and probably can't be predicted. But I'd imagine they'd leave you alone if you leave them alone. They won't like come chasing after you as long as you keep your distance lol

If you come across someone working on the property you'll need to have some excuse to why you're there, and then would need to leave, obviously. If you don't seem to be causing any trouble I doubt anyone would try to press legal charges against you

As far as how long it takes for someone to find you, it would probably be a while if you're in a secluded place. Once a family member or someone notices you're missing and files a report, assuming you don't leave a note or anything, or give any indication to where you're going to be, it still could still take a bit for them to locate you. Assuming a farmhand or someone doesn't stumble on you first. Honestly hard to say
Yep, mid-center ish area. Heartland.

I've got a parking spot and I'm fairly sure a trooper won't inspect as long as it's not there at like 4am or something.

That was my worry. I'd hoped somebody knew of a way to look up a cattle schedule or something lol. I'm not too worried about them, as you said they'll probably mind your business. Just don't want to try and wade through a million heads of cattle or get my peaceful moment broken up by loud moos and etc.

I think a simple "oh I just wanted to look around at the scenery a bit closer sorry" would suffice. I don't plan on taking the gun out of my backpack until I'm about to do it, so they probably won't think much of me, yea. Would be annoying to get interrupted but at that point as long as I still had a gun and a car it wouldn't matter, could just come back later or CTB elsewhere.

Ah. My plan is to get somewhere nice, chill for a bit, record a final message, and text a note that includes something like "I'm at X off of highway Y, off in the plains by landmark Z." I was mostly wondering how emergency services might handle retrieving the body and taking it back home since I'd be an hour's drive or so into another state.
You kinda sound like you got it all planned out. Yeah, that makes sense about changing the grazing grounds for the cows.
Pretty much, yeah. I'm really happy I saw the place.

All I've got to do is get my license (already decently well along), buy the gun (have enough money I think) and get a car (I think I'm getting one of my parents' old ones). Then just wait for the right time, I suppose. All that shouldn't take more than three years maximum, probably more like 6 months to one year.

Last edited:
Reactions: b9km5 and Beyond_Repair
Z

zengiraffe

Feb 29, 2024
If you're putting a shotgun in your mouth, as long as you're aiming somewhere between your hard palate and soft palate (which should angle the barrel to be pointing approximately at your midbrain, which controls all of the body's vital functions like breathing and heartbeat), this is pretty much guaranteed instant death. With perfect aim even a .22 handgun would do the trick, but obviously using a 12 gauge shotgun gives you a massive margin of error, as if you're anywhere even remotely close it'll blow your entire head off. Ain't no saving that, even with immediate medical intervention.