TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
Or probably ever, I'm not sure. It was two days ago when I joined. I read some threads and thought about CTB. Then, suddenly, a massive wave of fear went through me. It only lasted for a few minutes. I'm not exactly sure what triggered it. Maybe the fact that the thought is much more familiar than before? I haven't also ever feared the afterlife or the absence of it until now.

Have you had a similar experience? How do you deal with the fear?

• Hugs
Reactions: Moonicide
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
It's human nature to fear death. It doesn't really go away, it's deep seated. I think a lot of people who are very close to ending their life just come to terms with it and have an acceptance. It's not something you can teach or advise on, it just is.

Reactions: Broken Chimera, Kira, TheSoulless and 2 others
enjoy

enjoy

Creature
Dec 20, 2019
it's probably because your brain is really processing the finality of your inevitable demise. joining ss is like signing up for a magazine subscription about death and everything related to it. after all, that's the focus of the entire forum. the only two surefire ways to deal with unavoidable are immersing yourself in faith, religion spirituality or just straight-up accepting that you will die someday, and so will everyone else... and it's completely natural.

as you spend more time on the site, you will begin to find solace in death. being part of this community has made the prospect of death and dying a little less scary to me, and finding solidarity and confiding in other members is really nice. ss is a hidden little shelter from the outside world where such "taboo" topics that are stigmatized by society outside of here can be discussed freely. it truly is a great place to be when you're struggling. everyone here is fair and supportive.

i hope you overcome your death anxiety and decide to stay! we'll miss you if you go.

• Love
Reactions: Shadowplay, greencoat111 and TheSoulless
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

Jan 7, 2020
It's human nature to fear death. It doesn't really go away, it's deep seated. I think a lot of people who are very close to ending their life just come to terms with it and have an acceptance. It's not something you can teach or advise on, it just is.
That seems fair.
it's probably because your brain is really processing the finality of your inevitable demise. joining ss is like signing up for a magazine subscription about death and everything related to it. after all, that's the focus of the entire forum. the only two surefire ways to deal with unavoidable are immersing yourself in faith, religion spirituality or just straight-up accepting that you will die someday, and so will everyone else... and it's completely natural.

as you spend more time on the site, you will begin to find solace in death. being part of this community has made the prospect of death and dying a little less scary to me, and finding solidarity and confiding in other members is really nice. ss is a hidden little shelter from the outside world where such "taboo" topics that are stigmatized by society outside of here can be discussed freely. it truly is a great place to be when you're struggling. everyone here is fair and supportive.

i hope you overcome your death anxiety and decide to stay! we'll miss you if you go.
Thank you. It's good I finally decided to join. :)

Last edited:
Thereisnothing

Thereisnothing

Enlightened
Jan 4, 2020
I think we all fear death, its inbuilt in us because its our natural defence mechanism to do all we can to stay alive. When in a dangerous situation self preservation and adrenaline kicks in and we fight to stay alive.
For me when I think of myself dying naturally when the time comes or one of the multiple illnesses I have takes me, then I dont feel so scared about it. Not dying naturally anyway, not really. Going with one my illnesses does cause some fear not knowing how it will cause me to be at the end.
As for when I think about CTB, that scares me alot, as there are so many unanswered questions I have.
I am a spiritual person and believe in the afterlife and communication etc, so that gives me alot of comfort, however I still have fears about death in general, we all do and from time to time we think about it more than other times I suppose. As for dealing with it, just let the fears come and go and what emotions it brings up, all totally natural so try not let that aspect of it concern you.

Reactions: greencoat111
Moonicide

Moonicide

ᴘʜᴀꜱᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ
Nov 19, 2019
It's normal to feel the way you do, love. In many ways I don't think we fear death itself, but more so the unknown. What comes after death? Many people fear the unknown, as well as the thought of maybe the only thing waiting for them on the other side is nothingness. People have a different outlook on death and what it represents for them. Some may have a few expectations after death and are afraid of being disappointed, some are afraid of the unknown, and some simply just want to be freed. While death is well known and common amongst us, it is also quite foreign as we haven't experienced it ourselves.

• Love
Reactions: TheSoulless and greencoat111
ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
the only two surefire ways to deal with unavoidable are immersing yourself in faith, religion spirituality or just straight-up accepting that you will die someday, and so will everyone else... and it's completely natural.
I find myself doing both. Death befalls us all, regardless of how rich and powerful one is in this current life. For those who are happy, then death is the unfortunate chapter in their lives, for those who are not getting anything out of their Human existence, it's a welcomed end to suffering.

Reactions: enjoy and TheSoulless
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

Jan 7, 2020
It's normal to feel the way you do, love. In many ways I don't think we fear death itself, but more so the unknown. What comes after death? Many people fear the unknown, as well as the thought of maybe the only thing waiting for them on the other side is nothingness. People have a different outlook on death and what it represents for them. Some may have a few expectations after death and are afraid of being disappointed, some are afraid of the unknown, and some simply just want to be freed. While death is well known and common amongst us, it is also quite foreign as we haven't experienced it ourselves.
True. I used to fear the pain during death the most, but I've begun to dread the state after death. I guess it will just take time to get over it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Moonicide