• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

PrettyPotato

PrettyPotato

-
Dec 11, 2023
I'm not sure what to do, but perhaps someone here has a brainwave (or has already thought about this in detail).

So my planned ctb timetable is in 10 days time, and theres not much i can do that shift that. Due to practicalities, a few days at most.

The issue I have is that the solicitor that was preparing my will has turned out to be ... fucking useless…. They had one job, as the saying goes….
I really dont think they will have finished it in time, so need to make speedy diy arrangements instead.

So whats the best plan of attack? I'm not at home - not even in my home country - so i cant leave anything physically / locally.

Only thing i can think of currently is to schedule an email to be sent out after my death to a friend that i think could be an executor, but i was reading that a will needs to be witnessed, and that bit is not going to be possible at this short notice.

I have considerable assets, including property and huge amounts of collectible/valuable items, so dont want things to just disappear or get mysteriously 'borrowed' by local police etc.

The stuff i have with me here - very pricey laptop, electronics and so on - I figure might go some way toward apologising to whomever discovers me here :/

Help needed urgently please about the will and how to proceed though - its really stressing me out now.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Forever Sleep
T

the old man

Dec 23, 2023
Anybody can act as a witness for a will as long as they are not a beneficiary, someone in some kind of authority is preferable, a Dr, teacher, employer for example. Write a couple of copies out, send one to your solicitor, one to your executioner of the will and keep one on your person, don't forget to mention on your will that there are 3 copies and who holds them this should ensure some sort of safety net incase Anyone may be tempted to " borrow " anything as you put it, you could also send emails to further ensure that safety.

• Informative
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, PrettyPotato and Forever Sleep
D

DeadHead

Belief is the enemy of knowledge
Aug 20, 2023
I made my own will without a solicitor.
The main thing is it must be legal: dated and witnessed by 2 witnesses.
you can find templates online, but I just did my own. You must state your full name, date of birth and address.
Then list what you want to happen to each asset.
An email won't be legal, it must have your wet signature aand wet signatures of witnesses

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and PrettyPotato
PrettyPotato

PrettyPotato

-
Dec 11, 2023
I made my own will without a solicitor.
The main thing is it must be legal: dated and witnessed by 2 witnesses.
you can find templates online, but I just did my own. You must state your full name, date of birth and address.
Then list what you want to happen to each asset.
An email won't be legal, it must have your wet signature aand wet signatures of witnesses
Thanks for your input - was afraid that an email might not be valid.
Guess the only way I can proceed now then would be to find two random people here, and then post it back to someone in my home country.

Bloody solicitors - you'd think the amount they charge per hour that they'd be vaguely competent! :I
Anybody can act as a witness for a will as long as they are not a beneficiary, someone in some kind of authority is preferable, a Dr, teacher, employer for example. Write a couple of copies out, send one to your solicitor, one to your executioner of the will and keep one on your person, don't forget to mention on your will that there are 3 copies and who holds them this should ensure some sort of safety net incase Anyone may be tempted to " borrow " anything as you put it, you could also send emails to further ensure that safety.
Thanks - the tricky part in all of this is that I'm not in my home country, and haven't got long left to sort out finding two witnesses :/

I'll try calling around a few solicitors here as I still have a few days - there must be someone that will be prepared to witness.
Would ask the hotel but that might ring a few concern bells!

Last edited:
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
D

DeadHead

Aug 20, 2023
The witnesses need to give their full names and addresses.

You also need to appoint an executor, the person who will dish out your assets I accordance withyour wishes.It's not hard to do, but it's not something that can be rushed and done last-minute. It wouldn't matter if you didn't have assets, but you say you do.
A will made in one country may not be valid in another.
I know this because at 1 point I had assets in 2 different countries.

Reactions: PrettyPotato, MatrixPrisoner and Praestat_Mori
PrettyPotato

PrettyPotato

-
Dec 11, 2023
The witnesses need to give their full names and addresses.

You also need to appoint an executor, the person who will dish out your assets I accordance withyour wishes.It's not hard to do, but it's not something that can be rushed and done last-minute. It wouldn't matter if you didn't have assets, but you say you do.
A will made in one country may not be valid in another.
I know this because at 1 point I had assets in 2 different countries.
Well I guess all I can do is try. I think paying a solicitor here to witness it is my only shot though now. What a pain :/
I have no immediate family - it's just for close friends and some charities.

edit: Apparently due to covid, in uk it's possible to remotely witness (ie over a video conferencing app) until 31st Jan 2024.
I'm currently investigating that option!...

Last edited:
Reactions: rozeske and DeadHead
D

DeadHead

Aug 20, 2023
With the greatest of respect, it looks highly suspicious and is almost certain to attract scrutiny.

Reactions: Slow_Farewell and PrettyPotato
PrettyPotato

PrettyPotato

-
Dec 11, 2023
With the greatest of respect, it looks highly suspicious and is almost certain to attract scrutiny.
Oh I agree absolutely!
I was planning on telling them I have a terminal illness so want to get things sorted out asap - which to be fair, isn't entirely a fabrication.

Reactions: DeadHead
PrettyPotato

PrettyPotato

-
Dec 11, 2023
OK, will has now been witnessed, hurrah 🌟

If anyone gets into a similar situation (yes, I realise that's unlikely!) one can google map search for notaries in any country - they'll do stuff like that for a fee, no problem at all. As they're solicitors they will also ask absolutely zero questions because you're paying them so you have client confidentiality!

Anyway, that was the last 'practical' item on my list - the rest of the process should be straightforward.
In one week's time I should therefore be a Norwegian blue (bonus points if anyone got that reference)

As I believe anyone with serious childhood trauma will attest to, it's always important to have backup plans... and then backup plans for those backup plans! In other words if I'm not out of here in one week's time then I will have been *really really* unlucky.

Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
Good luck, hope it works out!

• Love
Reactions: PrettyPotato