• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

B

buoy

Kill off the old me before I decide to kill myself
Nov 8, 2023
Hey all. I've been trying to look into getting a therapist but was immediately discouraged. I spent an afternoon reading reviews of people having billing issues, navigating coverage, and overall just trying to get a clear direction of someone to go talk to that's actually trained and not going to scam me.

I'm just wondering if anyone who's navigated the complexities of finding a good psychiatrist might be able to provide a little advice. Maybe pose questions that I should think about or literally anything would be helpful. I'm super intimidated and definitely need the help.

_AllCatsAreGrey_

_AllCatsAreGrey_

(they/he)
Mar 4, 2024
What region are you in? In the US I have found good luck using psychology today database. In that way you're able to utilize keywords according to your interests/needs.

Don't be afraid to try various providers. I found it was only after working with various clinicians that I was able to define what I wanted/needed. I looked at it like dating. Don't worry about commiting yourself to someone. Just focus on figuring out what you're looking for. In due course you may find a good fit.

Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: buoy
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
It's a bit of a long post, but this is pretty solid advice on how to go about finding a therapist:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/psychologically-minded/201604/how-to-choose-a-therapist

Regarding billing/insurance things, it's best to talk about this upfront, when requesting an initial interview with a therapist. If they're not covered by your insurance, for example, it makes no sense to go and talk to a person for 50 minutes only to find out they can't work with you. Same deal with any other financial requirements or limitations you might have, what their fee is, etc. It can feel "uncomfortable" but any professional therapist should be able to discuss these things clearly and openly with someone before they come in for an interview.

• Informative
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, _AllCatsAreGrey_ and buoy
Cress

Cress

Experienced
Oct 15, 2023
I would recommend seeing if there is any Mental healthcare organizations in your area rather than looking for any one specific professional. I was able to join multiple different organizations in the past living in multiple different areas as I moved around. Having a mental health care organization Helps a lot when I had a psychiatrist therapist or social worker inevitably leave for a different profession the turnaround is quite high in the industry.

If you're the type to struggle with all of the paperwork and managing your healthcare having a social worker that is willing to drive out to see you really helps out a lot when you're struggling with mental health stuff trust me. The organization that I have been getting treatment from the past few years is association for individual development they are pretty big in Illinois. I don't think they would be active in your area i'm just giving you an example. So yeah get a assessment by mental health care organization that you can find in your area and get set up with a Therapist, Social worker and Psychiatrist that's my advice.

Best of luck to you for however long you're on this earth. If you need more help my dms are always open if you need.

• Informative
Reactions: buoy
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
There's a big difference between a psychiatrist and a therapist. I'd steer clear of the former.

B

buoy

Kill off the old me before I decide to kill myself
Nov 8, 2023
I appreciate you all so incredibly much. I appreciate the different options too. Love you all and really value yall taking some time