• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I know firearms have been discussed on SS before, but I wanted to share a little of my experience and knowledge on this subject.

I will post an Armslist thread soon. For those in the know, they screwed up the search royally on the site, but you can still really filter down if you know how to modify the urls and what the caliber search terms are.

Shotguns
Definitely the firearm of choice to ctb. Legally, the barrel has to be 18" and 26" overall weapon length. Pump or single shot would be the way to go as far as price and availability. Semi auto and/or magazine fed would also work, but cost more.

Ideally, if pump or semi-auto, one would want a tube that only holds 4 shells. The tubes that hold 6 shells tend to be as long as a 20" barrel, and fitting both the barrel and tube in your mouth could be awkward.

Shotgun barrels can be shortened easily using a hacksaw, band saw, or even pipe cutter. If you use a pipe cutter, they tend to crush a little, making the diameter slightly smaller. Won't affect buck shot, but may affect a slug. (Probably not substantially, though). Depending on what kind of front sight is attached, you may need to cut the barrel for comfort.

One thing that I will re-mention is double barrel shotguns can not fire both barrels simultaneously without modification (which may be illegal). Also, side by side and over under shotguns tend to be very expensive.

Handguns
The main thing to keep in mind is that hollow points typically take a few inches to expand in a ballistics gel medium. This is a very dense and consistent medium the bullet is moving through. I wouldn't count on full expansion in the 1-2" to the MO through the mouth.

For this reason, I think the only calibers to consider should be a .45 or .44 mag. Yes, smaller will work, but why take the chance. You can get a high point 45 for around $200.

Rifles/Carbines
I really only have experience with 556 ARs and 9mm carbines. The 223/556 is a very small, but fast bullet. Don't know if I would trust it though. I would not count on any appreciable expansion from a HP.

One interesting option may be a binary trigger. These allow one bullet to be shot on the trigger pull, and one on the trigger release. Basically every trigger pull is a double tap. I have two, and both took additional parts, and a lot of fiddling to get them to run consistently. Next time I go to the range, I'm going to test the double tap with a very limp finger for the release and report back. These go for about $300, so close to 50% of the price of a cheap AR.

Not pushing high point, but they sell a 45 carbine for cheap. Should get good velocity of out that.

I'm sure an AK (7.62), .308, 30-06 or bigger would work. Haven't really checked prices on these rifles, but most bolt actions are reasonable and super reliable.

Ammo
These would be my recommendations:

Shotgun - 12 gauge only (not 20 gauge). 00 Buck or Slugs (or some HD combo)

Handgun
45 or 44 mag. Good quality HP. +P if available

AR Rifle
5.56 instead of .223. Good quality (match grade) ammo. Don't count on HP expansion.

Other rifle
50bmg - probably even better than 12gauge :)

Reactions: Echo and Kat!