A

Anonymous1997ES

Jul 30, 2021
My college thesis adviser ended up hating me... I do admit that sometimes I didn't finish assignments on time, and once I made the mistake of calling her while I didn't know she was in therapy with a patient...

She blocked me without giving me the chance to apologize, then I had to pretend she never did while she unblocked me at college.

She treated me with passive-agressive language and tactics, got angry when I called her "Miss", since I don't speak so informally... Sometimes she would yell at me during my thesis, although I admit I deserved it for not finishing my assignments on time.

But today... Just when I finished defending my thesis paper, she entered the room while the jury was deliberating my grade... Didn't hear much, but she eventually said: "Did he call you Sire or Miss?", but in such a mocking tone, like she was enjoying it...

She knew I was there, perhaps listening, and didn't give a shit... When I finished my grade, got like 80/100, she said: "Congratulations", but it wasn't sincere.

I can't help to feel she sabotaged my grade, and probably those three teachers laughed at me too...

After seven years of college... All I got was perhaps one friendship, nine enemies, and a couple of acquaintances who think I'm a special needs person, and perhaps I'll never meet them again... Why do I always bring the worst out of people just by existing...

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: SadVegan, Life_and_Death, actual_fox and 6 others
hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
Could you file an anonymous report against her for being unsupportive/rude?

Either way, you finished, and you no longer have to deal with her again.

That's the most important thing.

• Aww..
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers and Anonymous1997ES
U

unfettered

Oct 2, 2022
Nothing is worth anything, tbh

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Felix007, SadVegan, Élégie and 5 others
emgrl

emgrl

Mage
Aug 6, 2022
So sorry you feel this way after working so hard. What @heretical nebula said is true, you're done now. You got through it. If you do feel like pursuing her improper behavior, rest easy knowing the option is there.

• Aww..
Reactions: Anonymous1997ES
Unhirable

Unhirable

Proud member of the FBI and CIA.
Sep 14, 2022
YOU GOT SCAMMED.

Just like me and many other young people.

• Aww..
Reactions: SadVegan, actual_fox and Anonymous1997ES
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It must had been awful having to deal with someone like that, in this life it does often seem as though other people just make things worse than they already are. It's best to not trust people too much and not have high expectations of them.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath and Anonymous1997ES
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
YOU GOT SCAMMED.

Oh you're right, OP should have been hustling with a hot dog stand.

• Yay!
  • Wow
Reactions: Life_and_Death and Anonymous1997ES
Unhirable

Unhirable

Proud member of the FBI and CIA.
Sep 14, 2022
Yes they should have.

Sounds good actually, starting a business and you keep majority of the profits.

As opposed to going to college, PAYING TO DO WORK (lol), and then making just as much as you would without a degree. (Most people don't go to college and become engineers).

• Wow
Jupit3rs

Jupit3rs

"I'm finally going home... to the stars"
Feb 23, 2022
oh no, this is my biggest fear. Next year I do my thesis... and i'm afraid of dealing with people like that, that don't understand me at all...
However, im thinking of leaving this year, so maybe i shouldn't be so worried.

• Aww..
B

BGooG

Aug 26, 2022
As someone who teaches in an university, I feel the need to defend the institution a bit. I won't attempt to defend this particular person's behavior. It certainly sounds incredibly inappropriate, and upsetting. I'm sure there are channels for you to make your experiences known, and I would urge you to do so. Regardless, I am TRULY SORRY for what you experienced; what you've described is simply unacceptable.

That said, I'd like to think that this particular professor's behavior was an outlier, and is not representative of the large majority of faculty with whom you'll interact at university. The vast majority of university professors are both empathetic towards and committed to their students, and work very hard to make their learning experience as rich and as impactful as possible. Certainly this has been my experience. And if this is not your experience when you start interacting with someone, explore your rights as a student. You have the right to be treated with respect, and there are mechanisms and processes to protect you of which I urge you to make use.

As for the worth of an academic degree, all existing studies demonstrate that, regardless of field of study, university graduates are more likely to (1) be employed and successful in a career path, and (2) earn a better living in their careers. Even though some fields are clearly more financially rewarding than others, the value of an academic degree has been demonstrated time and time again, through multiple metrics.

Note, though, that it does not guarantee happiness. Which is evident by the fact that I am on this site. But that is a far different story.

• Aww..
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood, Life_and_Death, Anonymous1997ES and 1 other person
theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
You finished college. That's what's important

• Aww..
Reactions: Élégie, Un- and Anonymous1997ES
A

Anonymous1997ES

Jul 30, 2021
Sorry to hear that, hope your situation will improve soon u_u

Could you file an anonymous report against her for being unsupportive/rude?

Either way, you finished, and you no longer have to deal with her again.

That's the most important thing.
So sorry you feel this way after working so hard. What @heretical nebula said is true, you're done now. You got through it. If you do feel like pursuing her improper behavior, rest easy knowing the option is there.
You finished college. That's what's important

Have been told it's not really worth it, because my college has the reputation of teachers always winning against students, and if I tried I would end up as a pariah there... I got told that teacher had a bad reputation and could be quite rude, but I never thought it would be like this... Feel like, if I checked my phone or sent a message first, she wouldn't have blocked me there, and all of this problem would've been avoided...

Yeah, that's a good thing at least, no more college for now...

YOU GOT SCAMMED.

Yes they should have.

Sounds good actually, starting a business and you keep majority of the profits.

As opposed to going to college, PAYING TO DO WORK (lol), and then making just as much as you would without a degree. (Most people don't go to college and become engineers).

Making a personal business is a really good idea, but in my country if you don't have a college degree you can't work anywhere u_u
At least my college was free because it was public, only had to paid money for taxi/bus, food and printed stuff...

It must had been awful having to deal with someone like that, in this life it does often seem as though other people just make things worse than they already are. It's best to not trust people too much and not have high expectations of them.
It's like I always cross paths with people whom have very aggresive or dominant personalities... I wonder that, if I followed more of her instructions and presented my thesis earlier, all of this could've been avoided? Or if I checked my phone or asked via text instead of calling her...

oh no, this is my biggest fear. Next year I do my thesis... and i'm afraid of dealing with people like that, that don't understand me at all...
However, im thinking of leaving this year, so maybe i shouldn't be so worried.
If you're going to do your thesis, and you get a professor that has a bad reputation, or seems to be aggresive/rude, ask for another one without any doubt. I hope you may find clarity and peace in whatever path you might choose.

As someone who teaches in an university, I feel the need to defend the institution a bit. I won't attempt to defend this particular person's behavior. It certainly sounds incredibly inappropriate, and upsetting. I'm sure there are channels for you to make your experiences known, and I would urge you to do so. Regardless, I am TRULY SORRY for what you experienced; what you've described is simply unacceptable.

That said, I'd like to think that this particular professor's behavior was an outlier, and is not representative of the large majority of faculty with whom you'll interact at university. The vast majority of university professors are both empathetic towards and committed to their students, and work very hard to make their learning experience as rich and as impactful as possible. Certainly this has been my experience. And if this is not your experience when you start interacting with someone, explore your rights as a student. You have the right to be treated with respect, and there are mechanisms and processes to protect you of which I urge you to make use.

As for the worth of an academic degree, all existing studies demonstrate that, regardless of field of study, university graduates are more likely to (1) be employed and successful in a career path, and (2) earn a better living in their careers. Even though some fields are clearly more financially rewarding than others, the value of an academic degree has been demonstrated time and time again, through multiple metrics.

Note, though, that it does not guarantee happiness. Which is evident by the fact that I am on this site. But that is a far different story.
Apologies if I made you think like that, and I agree with you, most college teachers I had were kind hearted or at least neutral rather than malicious... My family told me that perhaps she made a light-hearted joke or wanted to help my grade, and I really hope they're right... If I could I would, but my college has a reputation of always letting teachers win, so even if I tried, in the end, all it would do was make the rest of her friends and supporters to hate me...

Sorry to hear that... I truly hope you may find an answer or at least something that can help you, and that whatever path you take will be with peace and hope, same for everyone in the thread.

Obliviate

Obliviate

Abandon All Hope
Aug 13, 2022
same I'm in my last semester of college and it's been the worst fucking years of my life. I thought well I'm here atleast let me graduate but shit just keeps getting worse and worse and I honestly just thought about CTBing rn instead of waiting. *sigh* my college degree isn't gonna matter anyways once I'm dead so........

College isi literally just about money and filled with asshole professors who don't give two shits about you and will torture you for laughs.

• Aww..
Reactions: Un- and Anonymous1997ES
actual_fox

actual_fox

Arcanist
Sep 15, 2022
YOU GOT SCAMMED.

My mom telling me I will be good after college- I pray she is right. I will have so much advantage in the job market. I think only like 70% of young workforce have degrees now XD

• Aww..
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
she was in therapy with a patient...
her phone should have been on mute, this shouldnt have been a problem. if her phone wasnt muted she wasnt being very responsible especially considering what she was doing, it wasnt just a job, its a personal job.
She treated me with passive-agressive language and tactics, got angry when I called her "Miss", since I don't speak so informally... Sometimes she would yell at me during my thesis, although I admit I deserved it for not finishing my assignments on time.

But today... Just when I finished defending my thesis paper, she entered the room while the jury was deliberating my grade... Didn't hear much, but she eventually said: "Did he call you Sire or Miss?", but in such a mocking tone, like she was enjoying it...
this just doesnt make sense, we should be wanting more people like this in life. i say sir/ma'am when i talk to people im not at least acquaintances with.

• Aww..
A

Anonymous1997ES

Jul 30, 2021
same I'm in my last semester of college and it's been the worst fucking years of my life. I thought well I'm here atleast let me graduate but shit just keeps getting worse and worse and I honestly just thought about CTBing rn instead of waiting. *sigh* my college degree isn't gonna matter anyways once I'm dead so........

College isi literally just about money and filled with asshole professors who don't give two shits about you and will torture you for laughs.
Sorry to hear about your situation... Wish society focused more on morale and ethics rather than just normal knowledge...

My mom telling me I will be good after college- I pray she is right. I will have so much advantage in the job market. I think only like 70% of young workforce have degrees now XD
If you feel that you're not ready to go either physically or mentally take a gap semester, trust me, you won't regret it.

her phone should have been on mute, this shouldnt have been a problem. if her phone wasnt muted she wasnt being very responsible especially considering what she was doing, it wasnt just a job, its a personal job.

this just doesnt make sense, we should be wanting more people like this in life. i say sir/ma'am when i talk to people im not at least acquaintances with.
Guess some people prefend a more laid treatment, got told that calling people that could be seen as weird, and it would be better if I called someone "professor or teacher", or just their own name. Wish I had been more aware and put more of my part to finish that damn thesis, and this would've never happened...

actual_fox

actual_fox

Arcanist
Sep 15, 2022
If you feel that you're not ready to go either physically or mentally take a gap semester, trust me, you won't regret it.
No, empty unstructured time is killing my vibe

• Aww..