DeadAtNight

DeadAtNight

Time to die
Aug 16, 2022
Hey, I've posted one or two threads regarding my plan to CTB by shooting myself in the heart with a pistol. I've settled for jacketed hollow point ammo, but I want to know what's the best caliber? (9mm, 45 acp, etc...)

U

UtopianElephant

Student
Nov 26, 2022
If you can get a 12 or 20g SG, or at least a rifle with rapidly-expanding rounds, that would be the way to go, IMO. Pistol rounds would likely work for the purpose, but in ctb you would want to have every 'advantage' you can get to try to do away with any possible risks.

Also, a chest shot is uncertain, and seems to be less preferrable than head.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
It's just not that common a method to shoot oneself in the heart with a pistol. A SG would be best as the other poster said. I think more than anything with a pistol, the amount of power (grains of gunpowder) would be more important than the size of the projectile. You need to not hit your chest bones. If you choose this method, I wish good luck to you with it and may it result in the outcome you desire.

coyotestark

coyotestark

Free at last, free at last.
Jun 13, 2022
Hey, I've posted one or two threads regarding my plan to CTB by shooting myself in the heart with a pistol. I've settled for jacketed hollow point ammo, but I want to know what's the best caliber? (9mm, 45 acp, etc...)
This is a copy/paste from a thread I replied to earlier. Disregard anything not relevant to you. I apologize for the wall of text, but I am actually educated on the subject and wanted to provide as much information and data points as possible. That being said it is best to, and would reassure you more to do your own research, I would just argue that this is a good starting spot.

~I'm going to do it in the car in a remote area (it is not uncommon for folks to find suicide or drug overdose deaths in this area, so whoever finds me will likely be a first responder, and well-equipped to deal with the situation), one to the chest, two if needed. I don't imagine any cleanup will be involved as they would just scrap the car, that being said they may clean out all the blood and resell it in today's crazy auto market. (Don't buy any Subarus in Colorado for the next little while) I'm using my XD9 Sub compact, 3" barrel, 9mm jacketed hollow point, 135 grain, PDX 1 to be exact. Check out tnoutdoors9 on YouTube, dude is a wealth of information. Your post reminds me of the suicide hotline skit in The Great Milenko. 'if you're going to do it, do it outside or something'.

Additionally there is a lot of misinformation about gunshot wounds here. Entry wounds are quite small and unspectacular, regardless of the caliber used, exit wounds are a different story. This is why you want to use a jacketed hollow point, full metal jacket will increase the likelihood of a through and through shot, and your chances of surviving. Again check out the dude on YouTube I suggested. JHPs expand after entering the target (you) not before, it is the combination of high velocity and the hollow cavity being filled with material that causes expansion, typically anywhere from one and a half to three inches this occurs. Expansion decreases penetration into the body, you want the round to hit vitals and stop, luckily for you this is how modern JHPs are engineered.

And the caliber debate is always ridiculous, particularly in this context. 22lr has killed more people than any other round (this is mostly due to availability, and the number of firearms chambered in this caliber, nonetheless this caliber has more 'street cred' than any other round, if you will.) Folks will indeed debate caliber endlessly, that being said I have yet to find a volunteer to step in front of 22lr. And I'll wrap this up by providing a little context, farm animals (and large ones at that cows, horses etc.) Are euthanized using .32 acp. Shot placement is what matters. 10mm or 5.56 will do the job. To sum it all up have you ever considered shooting yourself in the chest instead? Multiple NFL players have taken this route (they wanted to preserve their brains so as to study the effects of concussion and TBI) I imagine that these individuals were a lot larger than you are now, if it worked for them, it will work for you. It's still not pretty, but you're unlikely to get an open casket funeral if you shoot yourself in the head, just saying. Cheers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Looking4Answers2, DeadAtNight and ikadasui
L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
I read an article the other day about about a young woman who shot herself in the chest. She missed her heart but did give herself a paralyzing spinal cord injury. Be very careful when using any gunshot method.

coyotestark

coyotestark

Free at last, free at last.
Jun 13, 2022
I read an article the other day about about a young woman who shot herself in the chest. She missed her heart but did give herself a paralyzing spinal cord injury. Be very careful when using any gunshot method.
She was 16, and clearly not very bright. Additionally this is only a single data point (thanks for taking the time to provide the link, oh wait you didn't) and therefore anecdotal. Being very careful and thorough when using any method is a no brainer.

DeadAtNight

DeadAtNight

Time to die
Aug 16, 2022

She was 16, and clearly not very bright. Additionally this is only a single data point (thanks for taking the time to provide the link, oh wait you didn't) and therefore anecdotal. Being very careful and thorough when using any method is a no brainer.
I also want to mention that many people mistakenly think that the heart is only the left side of the chest, which is completely incorrect. The only reason why you feel your heartbeat on the left side is due to the left ventricle being larger on the right ventricle, thus, beating stronger.

The reality is that your heart is closer to the middle of your chest, a quick search for chest anatomy proves it.

Since I plan on shooting myself in the heart, I will be sure to hold the gun at an angle so that the bullet passes towards the center, to the heart.

• Informative
Reactions: coyotestark
DeadAtNight

DeadAtNight

Time to die
Aug 16, 2022
This is why you want to use a jacketed hollow point, full metal jacket will increase the likelihood of a through and through shot, and your chances of surviving. Again check out the dude on YouTube I suggested. JHPs expand after entering the target (you) not before, it is the combination of high velocity and the hollow cavity being filled with material that causes expansion, typically anywhere from one and a half to three inches this occurs. Expansion decreases penetration into the body, you want the round to hit vitals and stop, luckily for you this is how modern JHPs are engineered.

Shot placement is what matters. 10mm or 5.56 will do the job. To sum it all up have you ever considered shooting yourself in the chest instead? Multiple NFL players have taken this route (they wanted to preserve their brains so as to study the effects of concussion and TBI) I imagine that these individuals were a lot larger than you are now, if it worked for them, it will work for you. It's still not pretty, but you're unlikely to get an open casket funeral if you shoot yourself in the head, just saying. Cheers.
My apologies for the late response. I've read your post multiple times and have considered coming up with a good follow-up, because you've provided very detailed information on JHP ammo and have explained the caliber types in a very understandable manner. I really appreciate that! I will restate my plan below, FYI. Some bolded parts appear to emphasis on their importance.

I'm planning on getting a pistol, using jacketed hollow point (which many have recommended, you included). After reading what you've written above, I'm choosing 10mm as my caliber. So far, everything is fine. Just as you have said, shot placement is what matters. I've decided to shoot myself in heart.

This is where two problems arise, as far as I know.
  1. The heart is located quite near to the middle of the chest. It is not located on the left side, those who know anatomy should realize this common mistake.
    - To shoot towards the heart, I would have to hold the pistol at a side angle, instead of pointing it directly in the middle of my chest, and I can imagine the difficulty of holding a gun like that.
  2. The heart, and by extension lungs, are protected by the sternum and the rib cage. Shooting in the middle of the chest will not work because the sternum protects the center of the chest - hence my decision to shoot at a side angle. Shooting to the side, either left or right side, will also be quite concerning as both sides of the chest are protected by rib cage.
    - I've heard from some people that the ribs could actually deflect the bullet. If you're sure that this is false, please let me know.
I hope you can address these problems and give me good advice. Additionally, if anyone is knowledgeable on the subject of bullet wounds, I would also very appreciate all the help! Thank you.

P.S. @Looking4Answers2 I know you've asked what caliber I want to use in my previous threads, I'm happy to answer that it's 10mm.