Kikoo Loool

Kikoo Loool

Enlightened
Feb 25, 2019
What are your favorite cinema scenes? Please post here the scenes and explain what you like from a technical or emotional point of view.

I start with this one, from Schindler's list. There are some easy effects I don't really appreciate in this film (the shower in Auschwitz which is not eventually a gas chamber, the red coat girl) but I like some sequences like this one, from 1:20 to 2:00, the famous Was ist das? Bach? Nein, Mozart! (it's Bach indeed). It's so weird and absurd to see the German soldier playing piano while the others are murdering civilians. It shows how ubiquitous the German people and spirit has been in History, able of the best and the worst. Not only the people on the whole but also every individual. Even cultured and smart people became cogs in the monstruous wheel.

• Love
Reactions: MeltingHeart and ScorpiusDragon
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
"All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain"

• Love
Reactions: notjustyetagain and MeltingHeart
ScorpiusDragon

ScorpiusDragon

Mage
Mar 25, 2019

This is a scene from the movie--"The Hours." In this scene, Clarissa witnesses the suicide of Richard, who is her former best friend from college/lover. In his final moments, he recounts memories from their college days--brief moments of happiness in life that they enjoyed together. As she watches him sit at the edge of the window, she knows what is about to happen, but she is ultimately powerless to stop it. She tries to dissuade him from pushing himself out the window and convince him that trivial things in life like "the party doesn't matter", but he responds--"I still have to face the hours...I stayed alive for you, but now you have to let me go. I don't think two people could've been happier than we have been" (reference to Virginia Woolf's suicide note).

• Love
Reactions: Little Mook and Kikoo Loool
Kikoo Loool

Kikoo Loool

Enlightened
Feb 25, 2019

I love this scene, the very first one of Melville's masterpiece The Army of Shadows.
It's at the same time sober and oppressive, revealing the humiliation of the defeat and occupation precisely in one of the places where is usually expressed our national pride.

MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
Classic scene: De Niro at his finest. also think he looks very good here! I like the 70s colour saturation of the film too, the atmosphere,the building up of the tension as he begins to go off the boil.

This is a scene from the movie--"The Hours." In this scene, Clarissa witnesses the suicide of Richard, who is her former best friend from college/lover. In his final moments, he recounts memories from their college days--brief moments of happiness in life that they enjoyed together. As she watches him sit at the edge of the window, she knows what is about to happen, but she is ultimately powerless to stop it. She tries to dissuade him from pushing himself out the window and convince him that trivial things in life like "the party doesn't matter", but he responds--"I still have to face the hours...I stayed alive for you, but now you have to let me go. I don't think two people could've been happier than we have been" (reference to Virginia Woolf's suicide note).

bit harsh to make her watch that no?! very emotional scene though

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Kikoo Loool
Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
The driftless area . ( 2015 )
The driftless area 1 Screenshot at 2019 12 01 11 48 43 The driftless area 2 Screenshot at 2019 12 01 11 49 21

Something to do with , isolation , and the tension between imagination and perception .
The realm of processing reality , where "imagining" a process / dynamic ( or whatever ) is a modeling
process ... and like a wire walker , balances between insanity and powerful self determination against
"the odds" ( fate / destiny / ingrained conditioned aspect to existence .

Who makes the call on reality beyond death and taxes ?

It's a choice , but a choice steered by the world view at each moment .

Things that weren't real were the most important things to me , but they were devalued because they were
seen as having no value by my inner critic . ( I evolved to have poor judgement over real and imagined , and their
relative importance and their differing 'appropriateness'.)

I idolize movies , ( not a good thing ) so sometimes the fantasy set ups and strange clashing realities
remind me of my own experiences ... turning points , mistaken conclusions that misinform decisions ...
broken values that derail advances .

• Love
Reactions: Kikoo Loool
Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
My American Uncle ( 1980 ) Au 1 Screenshot at 2019 12 01 13 14 34 Sau2 creenshot at 2019 12 01 13 15 27 Au3 Screenshot at 2019 12 01 13 16 03 Au4 Screenshot at 2019 12 01 13 16 30 Au5 Screenshot at 2019 12 01 13 17 25 Au6 Screenshot at 2019 12 01 13 18 01 Au7 Screenshot at 2019 12 01 13 18 31 Au8 Screenshot at 2019 12 01 13 19 18

Huge impact on me as a teenager .
I was too messed up to address the ideas ... as they applied to me .
Just white knuckled a life of pretend adjustment .

Reconnected with similair ideas recently ; the pessimistic idea of humanities need to oppress .
Liberating from the perspective of objectivizing a toxic situation .. but it's a dark view , however true.
For me , it does outline humanities primary challenge .
To transcend our primate power trips.
( as my signiature quote outlines . )

Last edited:
Reactions: a.n.kirillov and Kikoo Loool