N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Recently Germany dropped out of the world cup. Media cried about it. Framed it is a catastrophe. Well this certainly is no catastrophe. The horrible life quality of the members of this forum that's a catastrophe. The working conditions for migrant workers in Qatar that's a catastrophe. Losing a soccer match. Who cares?

Maybe this is too pessimistic towards sports. It can be something to enjoy and being a source of the feeling of communion. I kind of admire people with strong passions.

But professional soccer for men is perverted. These millionaires earn way too much money. The sports deals are shady and the biggest stars of the last decades are tax evaders.

The media exaggerates it so much. I am glad there were less fans who supported them in Qatar. The TV ratings were pretty bad.

Personally I cannot really fathom anymore why adult fans cry when their team loses a game. Maybe it is positive if one can stil remain a child in some way. (Maybe this framing is even arrgoant). The illusion that sports was so decisive for our lives seems to attractive though for me not really fullfiling. It is easy to fall for because the media hypes it way too much.

Okay maybe I am a little bit too smug about it when I am writing these words. Sports on a very competitive level can be exciting and worthwhile. However when I see all the negative that accompanies it like sports bets I am losing my faith about its positive impact on our society.

Reactions: katagiri83 and Lost Magic
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

šŸ‘»
Nov 5, 2020
Okay maybe I am a little bit too smug about it when I am writing these words. Sports on a very competitive level can be exciting and worthwhile. However when I see all the negative that accompanies it like sports bets I am losing my faith about its positive impact on our society.
You aren't wrong. It's always just been part of the tried and true bread and circus method of keeping the masses happy. The only REALLY good thing about pro sports I guess beyond the spectacle is if you're really good at the right sport but come from an impoverished situation it may be your ticket out but even then it's getting harder to even say that because big money has played an increasingly big part of trying to get seriously recruited now.

Anyway, yeah, unless there's some big terrorist attack at a sporting event, nothing in sports should be treated as a global catastrophe.

Reactions: katagiri83 and Lost Magic
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I couldn't agree with you more. Even as a kid, I never really enjoyed football or saw the appeal. And don't get me started on people who listen to a visual sport on the radio lol

Yeah, sports in general are completely over-rated in our society. Each to their own I guess. As, you mentioned there are more sadder things to worry about than your team losing. I mean a lot of players don't even give a shit about the team. They are in it for the money. Then there are women who only want to marry footballers for the gold and the esteem. It's a messed up world we live in, that's for sure.

Reactions: katagiri83 and MellowAvenue