1 Corinthians 13:4 "Love is not jealous"

Exodus 20:5 "I the Lord your God am a jealous God."

😮 Logical implosion

• Yay!
Reactions: simulant43, Forever Sleep, sserafim and 1 other person
Kevin_Logan

Kevin_Logan

Nov 17, 2021
The bible is just a compilation of scriptures, written by different people. It is full on inconsistency

Reactions: Sprite_Geist, sserafim and Ambivalent1
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
The bible is just a compilation of scriptures, written by different people. It is full on inconsistency
Do you think a life like ours (one that would lead us to want to ctb) is better than the life of a Christian who feels fulfilled and happy even though it's all built on a lie? I'm conflicted. I value knowing what's true, but if this life is all there is, then the Christian would be better off since he's happy and fulfilled.

Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Do you think a life like ours (one that would lead us to want to ctb) is better than the life of a Christian who feels fulfilled and happy even though it's all built on a lie? I'm conflicted. I value knowing what's true, but if this life is all there is, then the Christian would be better off since he's happy and fulfilled.
"It is better to be unhappy and know the worst, than to be happy in a fool's paradise." - Dostoevsky, The Idiot

Reactions: Kevin_Logan, Ambivalent1 and SoulofSteel
ThymeToLeave

ThymeToLeave

Adventurer
Dec 12, 2023
I don't think so. Does the "jealous God" bit actually mean that god is "jealous" the way a human gets jealous, or is it a way of explaining that the alleged one true god doesn't want us to waste our lives worshiping false gods?

Reactions: Kevin_Logan
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
"It is better to be unhappy and know the worst, than to be happy in a fool's paradise." - Dostoevsky, The Idiot
I haven't read that book in awhile. I like how Myshkin is only a social idiot. He understands people very well though beneath all the societal bullshit. So he goes back to the sanitarium at the end because he's sick of society and doesn't fit in.
I don't think so. Does the "jealous God" bit actually mean that god is "jealous" the way a human gets jealous, or is it a way of explaining that the alleged one true god doesn't want us to waste our lives worshiping false gods?
Words have meaning. For instance, in the new testament, it says "and they will be condemned to everlasting destruction." Destruction means obliterate. Christians read it to mean "eternal torture in hell." Jealous means what it means. God feels hurt and protective of his possession, Israel, just like a jealous lover.

Last edited:
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
There is actually a really fun early Christian sect (first century, before the "bible" as we know it was compiled from many disparate texts) known as Marcionism. They were of course labeled heretics by the mainline church, but they viewed the God of (what we would call) the Old testament as malevolent entity and considered the god of (what we would call) the New testament to be a benevolent deity.
I knew that and it should've won out.

dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
I have a strange take on religion - I think your religion is valid so long as you can accept the flaws and inconsistencies. If you try to push back against the glaring, objective flaws without coming up with a reasonable solution to them, then I see no reason to view your beliefs as true.

Basically "if you admit you may be wrong, I will side with you and say you're right."

I don't think this alone disproves God's existence. I've got lots of other reasons for that. Not that my reasoning would defeat the existence of God. Agnosticism, not knowing if God is real or not, is I think the most reasonable belief, and trying to poke holes in arguments doesn't disprove God's (or the gods') existence as we don't have a way of knowing for sure in the first place.

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
The trinity is proof that the bible is false itself ,God cant limit himself and turn into a baby.
Isn't God capable of anything?

Final_Choice

Final_Choice

Mage
Aug 3, 2023
This is a latin version:
1 John 4:7 - carissimi diligamus invicem quoniam caritas ex Deo est et omnis qui diligit ex Deo natus est et cognoscit Deum

1 Corinthians 13:4 - caritas patiens est benigna est caritas non aemulatur non agit perperam non inflatur

Exodus 20:5 - non adorabis ea neque coles ego sum Dominus Deus tuus fortis zelotes visitans iniquitatem patrum in filiis in tertiam et quartam generationem eorum qui oderunt me

For the most part the translation you used gets the point across of what is being said, but it's not exact. For the first one, it's mostly saying that love is from god. The third one uses zelotes, which is zeolous, thought in some translations they use jealous which is pretty close but not exact. Like it was previously said the scriptures were written by different people and then translated by more people, due to grammatical and language differences a direct translation is pretty difficult. Nonetheless, the existence of god and religion is based on belief, so if you truly believe it then it all makes sense and if you don't then you notice the inconsistencies and have trouble believing in it, so it's not like you need to find logical errors to disprove the existence of god when no logical proof exists in the first place.

Reactions: Ambivalent1