• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

H

hamednova

I did it for the lulzs
Apr 22, 2019
Final exit says yes, but public research on the net says no or mixed info. Anyone have a spare bottle willing leave open and to test to a lab?

Superfluous

Superfluous

Mar 16, 2019
All the reliable sources I've found state that sodium nitrite very slowly oxidises to nitrate in air.

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/sodium_nitrite#section=Stability-Shelf-Life

Section 3.2.9 references Toxnet and cites the peer reviewed study Budavari, S. (ed.). The Merck Index - Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs and Biologicals. Rahway, NJ: Merck and Co., Inc., 1989., p. 1365.

This refers to the yellowish white crystalline solid form. Solutions of sodium nitrite are unstable & should be prepared directly before use.

Reactions: Soul
H

hamednova

I did it for the lulzs
Apr 22, 2019
All the reliable sources I've found state that sodium nitrite very slowly oxidises to nitrate in air.

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/sodium_nitrite#section=Stability-Shelf-Life

Section 3.2.9 references Toxnet and cites the peer reviewed study Budavari, S. (ed.). The Merck Index - Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs and Biologicals. Rahway, NJ: Merck and Co., Inc., 1989., p. 1365.

This refers to the yellowish white crystalline solid form. Solutions of sodium nitrite are unstable & should be prepared directly before use.
I been looking around the edit wars on sodium nitrite and it looks like this was the edit that removed the oxidise clause was made back in 2011
I might try to readd it to see what happens.. or maybe not.

Last edited:
Superfluous

Superfluous

Mar 16, 2019
Firstly, I don't consider Wikipedia as a reliable source.

Concerning the edit, yes it is hygroscopic so that was worth adding, but it looks like someone simply replaced the description and omitted the effects of oxidisation in air. There are also no reliable peer-reviewed citings.

Also note the warning for the 2011 revision: This article has multiple issues

Edit: As a final note, why take the risk? It's better to assume that it will very slowly oxidise in air than ignore the possibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walilamdzi and Soul
H

hamednova

I did it for the lulzs
Apr 22, 2019
Firstly, I don't consider Wikipedia as a reliable source.

Concerning the edit, yes it is hygroscopic so that was worth adding, but it looks like someone simply replaced the description and omitted the effects of oxidisation in air. There are also no reliable peer-reviewed citings.

Also note the warning for the 2011 revision: This article has multiple issues
Thanks looks like you might be right. Hopefully my bottle is still good.

Attachments

• dhar1934.pdf
    376.6 KB · Views: 11
V

Vegrau

Wizard
Nov 27, 2018
Dont think it will turn into nitrate while still in solid state unless its expose to light or high temperature.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-05-05-15-56-48-043_com.android.chrome~01.png
    Screenshot_2019-05-05-15-56-48-043_com.android.chrome~01.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 17
Xaphous

Xaphous

hikikomori
Nov 11, 2018
Hmm Have I affected my sn by taking the top off to look at it?

Reactions: throwaway777