whotookmylexapro

whotookmylexapro

Jan 19, 2024
I took notice of this from a very early age, I have a fairly vivid imagination and can imagine objects scenarios etc in my head. However, as soon as I imagine something, it is almost impossible to imagine it changing or something along those lines.

Example:
I can imagine an apple on my desk; however, trying to imagine it falling on the ground is incredibly difficult sometimes.

I relate this to OCD because of Intrusive Thoughts. I get a very vivid/bad/uncomfortable thought; my usual compulsion is to try to imagine taking control of the situation or getting rid of the thought (ex: i get a thought about doing something horrible, so i try to imagine myself doing the opposite, which is incredibly difficult for some reason.)

It is such a weird phenomenon and i cant seem to find any information or people who can relate. It's kind of like the "try not to imagine a pink elephant" trick. Of course if you get that thought in your head, its gonna be difficult to not think about it.
I get horrible intrusives thoughts all day and im always trying to not think about it but it gets so exhausting.

I assume people with aphantasia don't experience this or i could be wrong

Wolf Girl

Wolf Girl

Not looking for advice or a pep talk
Jun 12, 2024
I don't have OCD but I have autism and sometimes struggle with obsessive-compulsive traits including intrusive thoughts. Trying not to think the intrusive thoughts will only make them worse. You have to learn that the thoughts are harmless...which is easier said than done. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Reactions: whotookmylexapro
whotookmylexapro

whotookmylexapro

Jan 19, 2024
I don't have OCD but I have autism and sometimes struggle with obsessive-compulsive traits including intrusive thoughts. Trying not to think the intrusive thoughts will only make them worse. You have to learn that the thoughts are harmless...which is easier said than done. I'm sorry you're going through this.
Yeah it really is easier said than done. I tell myself every day "just ignore it, its just thoughts" but it causes me so much distress. Ive been doing my repetitive compulsions for atleast 2 years now. The association between thoughts and panic is so great that it is so difficult to undo. I wish i could just ignore the thoughts.