L

lessthanperfect

Student
Mar 30, 2023
I hate when people ask about my life. I constantly say "good" or "great!" or "a little busier than I want to be but still alright" and then hate myself after for lying but then I stop hating myself and start hating society for making us ashamed of our feelings.

"How was your birthday?"

Horrible. I had a mental breakdown and had to stay up until 4am and wanted to CTB.

"It was good!"

• Hugs
Reactions: ATort, Ε. Η. R., Namensjemand and 13 others
U

ultrasharpy123456

Wizard
Aug 18, 2022
Well I used to have that happen to me so I can relate but not anymore. The lying now comes from me hiding my suicide method and when and where I'm trying to make this happen.

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, lessthanperfect, MelancholicMundane and 2 others
hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
Same for me, I keep lying to most people just to follow social good rules. But I am lying also to my father about my condition because I am tired of arguing, he is the type that says: you have to get over past problems. I lie to my wife for a similar reason. My psychiatrist is very bad he barely listens to me so it is not even lying since I say very little. I try not to lie to my therapist or if I lie they are lies of omission otherwise the story would become too complex for him to follow.

• Hugs
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, sash, lessthanperfect and 2 others
DeadlineDialer

DeadlineDialer

Traversing the grid of death
Sep 20, 2023
It feels like even if we didn't lie, all we'd get is false platitudes or dirty looks. It's like they just expect a happy face and energetic reply. We can only assume what they'll do if we don't.

"laugh, and the world laughs with you. weep, and you weep alone."

• Love
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, Homo erectus, ConstantPain and 6 others
d3j3ct3dl0s3r05

d3j3ct3dl0s3r05

i am so lainpilled :3 (? days left)
Apr 15, 2023
Totally yeah. My former school's graduation was yesterday and I showed up in the uniform and just sort of pretended to be still part of my graduating class. Some former teachers came up to me and congratulated me on graduating and asked what I planned to do the year after. I said law and english. Mind you, I dropped out a couple months before and have given up on life and will mostly likely not live to see 2024 anyways. Felt nice to act as if everything was normal though. Even for just a day.

• Hugs
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, Homo erectus, lessthanperfect and 1 other person
M

manuel1056x

Sep 9, 2023
Always lie too. Don't know why I should tell them the truth. I mean they are all happier when they think I'm okay. And if I would tell them how I feel, I don't think that they could help me. I don't want any pity also.

• Love
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, lessthanperfect and DeadlineDialer
foreverfalling

foreverfalling

Experienced
Jul 22, 2022
I just got asked today. "Yeah not bad" was all I could muster. I've learnt telling the truth gets me nowhere, and no one really wants to hear what's really going on.

What I've still got to learn is that this applies to other similar permutations of the question as well. I once hired a bike and got injured so had to return it early. They asked me how'd it go, I told them I got injured, and they just replied as if I said it went well.

I keep learning everyday how innocent and naive I am from this simple concept. I don't know how to lie, and it always comes back to bite me. I get taken advantage of and get bridges burnt due to this. I'm just not built for this dog eat dog world where everyone is out for themselves and lying is the way to deal with it.

• Hugs
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, lessthanperfect, DeadlineDialer and 2 others
snoot

snoot

Dec 1, 2020
It's complicated for me. I'm autistic so I have a habit of being far too blunt, which some people don't actually mind when it's something silly - but when I open up about how I've been feeling suicidal they get freaked out.
I think I've realised some people don't really want to hear about how you truly feel. I reached out to a few people about something extremely traumatic in the past few weeks in the hopes they could help me, and got ignored. It's a big reason I'm going to CTB soon. I don't like lying but I can't tell anyone the truth either so it's easier to isolate myself before I go.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: foreverfalling, WAITING TO DIE, lessthanperfect and 1 other person
A

AerialBoundaries

The Songs of Distant Earth.
Sep 18, 2022
"Aye not bad, mate", is the typical response. I won't burden other people with my shit. I've made that mistake before.

I don't hate doing it. Sometimes lies are necessary.

Reactions: lessthanperfect and DeadlineDialer
Kasumi

Kasumi

tired
Mar 3, 2023
As velvetmoon said, they don't actually wanna hear about how you truly feel, they just ask out of obligation or cause they want to be polite.
As such I don't have any problems with lying to them.

I lie about how I feel, what I think, the things I like and don't like, who I am, university, exams, health, therapy, medication, everything.
It's a necessity, why would I feel bad about it?
It's to protect myself from further trouble that I can really do without, no point in saying things that'll just cause more problems for me only because it would be the truth.

• Love
Reactions: Orbitc, WAITING TO DIE, lessthanperfect and 1 other person
F

fleischmaschina

Jun 3, 2023
I hate when people ask about my life. I constantly say "good" or "great!" or "a little busier than I want to be but still alright" and then hate myself after for lying but then I stop hating myself and start hating society for making us ashamed of our feelings.

"How was your birthday?"

Horrible. I had a mental breakdown and had to stay up until 4am and wanted to CTB.

"It was good!"
Did you try telling a truth once? You will probably feel relieved, for a little while. It has little effect on anything much. They will just act horrified and ask whyyy whyyyy what is so horriblleeee. And even if you answer and vent they will just nod and kinda agree and all. It doesnt rly matter at all whether you tell a lie or a truth - at least its the case with me.

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE
peachchildtenshi

peachchildtenshi

life
Apr 6, 2023
I have started being true to myself since some time ago,
its much better for me to just tell the other person the truth, and ensure that they don't try to help because most of the time it's useless and a waste of time.
I hate lying and putting a facade towards others just for the sake of it and I especially despise it when I see others forcing themselves to do so.

• Love
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, DeadlineDialer, lessthanperfect and 1 other person
HollowDrop

HollowDrop

ah
Oct 4, 2023
I try to be true to myself, but it becomes painfully difficult when I am the only one of me and my 5 siblings who can't hold a job and struggles with every day life. The shame is insane. All my cousins are doing great too as a cherry on top. Avoiding questions is too difficult at bigger family gatherings and I try to sound like I am doing social thing to not bring shame to my mother. Hiding your real life out of shame because you're such a failure hurts.

• Love
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, lessthanperfect and fleischmaschina
sash

sash

f/uk seeking partner to vanish with
Oct 1, 2023
When asked How are you I reply im fine thanks you. Or if I cant say it I just parrot How are you back. I did reply shit once, got a funny look so just 'laughed' it away
All of us on here have to lie. Lies eat you up. with all the stuff going on its awful we also have to deal with lying

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, DeadlineDialer and lessthanperfect
C

ConstantPain

Sorry but cats are so much better than people
Jun 9, 2022
I agree, no one wants to hear the truth. For that reason I act my way through life and it's exhausting. The thought of telling anyone the truth is too awful though because I'm sick of people saying things will get better when no they won't! Plus I hate people checking on me.
So nope, nothing to see here, I'm perfectly fine 😒

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, DeadlineDialer and lessthanperfect
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
I'm too far gone now to give a damn about what people think of me.
I no longer put on the act of trying to appear " normal ".
If they ridicule me for suffering from clinical depression and bipolar 1, then fuck them.
I know people talk about me behind my back, including my so-called family, but I couldn't care less anymore.
These days I don't try to hide my suffering because to do so is exhausting.

Reactions: lessthanperfect and Orbitc
Orbitc

Orbitc

Sorry for my English
Jul 2, 2023

"How was your birthday?"

"It was good!"
The most idiotic tradition in society is to ask - how are you doing? I also always answer that everything is fine with me, because I understand perfectly well that this is just a formality and the person really doesn't give a shit about my answer. But how annoying it is because every time I hear this question I remember how bad everything is. I don't like lying either.

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE and lessthanperfect