failure383

failure383

Student
Jul 2, 2024
I've felt for more than 5 years now constantly bad (low mood, anhedonia, apathy, feeling of worthlessness and so on), but for about a week in this year, this wasn't the case. I literally woke up content with my circumstances (even though the bed I woke up in, was a hospital bed) and felt like I had some inherent value and had high motivation to do things. This feeling appeared suddenly, without any precursor or signs. I told my psychiatrist back then and she was surprised too.
Eventually, after a week, the motivation and the feeling of value, disappeared and spiraled into my default state. I was just as depressed as before. I took new medication, but the doctor said herself, it was not possible for it to work this fast (Also why did it last only so briefly then?). I have considered a manic episode as an option, albeit I never had one before and never had one after. I don't have any diagnoses that would make that plausible either. Also I don't think my mood and overall state was really not manic.

Did anybody else experience such a brief period of content and elevated mood, that disappeared just as quickly as it came, without any signs or precursor?

• Hugs
Reactions: TheGoodGuy and LoiteringClouds
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
I've felt for more than 5 years now constantly bad (low mood, anhedonia, apathy, feeling of worthlessness and so on), but for about a week in this year, this wasn't the case. I literally woke up content with my circumstances (even though the bed I woke up in, was a hospital bed) and felt like I had some inherent value and had high motivation to do things. This feeling appeared suddenly, without any precursor or signs. I told my psychiatrist back then and she was surprised too.
Eventually, after a week, the motivation and the feeling of value, disappeared and spiraled into my default state. I was just as depressed as before. I took new medication, but the doctor said herself, it was not possible for it to work this fast (Also why did it last only so briefly then?). I have considered a manic episode as an option, albeit I never had one before and never had one after. I don't have any diagnoses that would make that plausible either. Also I don't think my mood and overall state was really not manic.

Did anybody else experience such a brief period of content and elevated mood, that disappeared just as quickly as it came, without any signs or precursor?
I tried that a couple times but last time was many years ago I was on my way to grocery shop and just felt extremely happy out of nowhere like an insane increase in serotonine since I both felt very good and felt very social and hoped some randoms would talk to me this feeling however disappeared after about 30 minutes, it was so weird it was out of nowhere I just went about my day.

Reactions: Ms.Melancholy
X

Xta4Love

Student
Dec 25, 2021
I had that sudden feeling for half a day. Just woke up like that. Ive been severly depressed for five years. So yes it can happen.

K

Kavka

Student
Jun 11, 2024
Yes, I think it is a bit like the depression-equivalent of getting up on the wrong side of the bed. It's a change in mood for no particular reason, but instead of feeling down, you feel good.