N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
My country is a little bit crazy. During world soccer tournaments you can sometimes read weird analogies in the newspapers between showing your flag at home and the Nazi-time.
I think some people in my country consider patriotism as something very harmful. I know here are some people annoyed by patriotism in their home country but the other side of the extreme is probably also unhealthy.

Supporting your team at sport is something which is considered as somewhat accepted. Though some of my lefty friends say they don't care whether Germany wins. Often they rather support the underdog also when Germany is playing. Lol.

I was a conservative when I was younger. Still I have some feelings of patriotism despite I am a lefty. But I hope it is an enlightened one. Not dogmatic, like a milder light-version.

When I was younger I watched often sports. And I always supported teams from my country. It was thrilling to watch the games all these emotions. As a child I even cried sometimes because of it.

I am still supporting teams from my country. But I am way less emotionally involved. I am more distant to sports and other competitions since I know how corrupted they are. I think some of my friends think the following. Why should I support my own country? We are already more rich/privileged than most other countries, we often win anyway, if the other team wins the people there will be happy. Let's support the underdog.
This is at least what I assume.

Personally I absolutely don't think supporting your own country in such a competition is unethical. Maybe there are exception if your country gives drugs to the players to enhance their performance. I am still sometimes glad when the teams from my country win and I am not sure why. I think the main reason is selfishness. My parents raised me in a very selfish way. Ironically the selfishness of the society will probably lead to my suicide. They don't give unemployed people enough money to live in dignitiy. But I think I am quite selfish. Not always though. I think for example we should give more money to Ukraine so that they win the war.

But I am glad when the teams of my country are doing well. When they win competitions they are often financially more stable. They can invest in sustainable way in their teams. When they win many games some of them will be pretty exciting and of a high quality. Though I quit to watch sports. Due to the fact the prices of streaming have become insane and I don't want to support that.

I don't think the teams are my country are morally perfect. But I like that for example in football their are more considerations about investors from dictatorships. Some leagues from other countries are even more corrupted by money. It is perverted.

There is the discussion whether to boycott the world tournament in Quatar. Will probably not happen? The soccer lobby is too powerful. When the players are asked it is obvious their advicers tell them to shut up. It is so cyncial or they outright defend human rights violations. Not sure whether I will boycott watching the games. Probably. I don't have much time for that anyway.

Do you support teams from your country and do you consider this patriotism?

Last edited:
GasMonkey

GasMonkey

Nitrogen Master Race
May 15, 2022
Nope, couldn't care less.

Reactions: whatevs
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Nah, that's some normie shit right there bruh.

Reactions: GasMonkey