sealbabies

sealbabies

Student
Mar 27, 2022
When survivors of suicide attempts say they regretted it the moment they started going through with it?

The ones I'm talking about are vocal and tend to actively speak out against ctb.

I think they failed and are afraid to try again (which is understandable); however, them turning around and using their circumstances as a calling card on anyone who wants to ctb.
Personally feels upsetting to me.

• Hugs
Reactions: myopybyproxy, GentleJerk, demuic and 8 others
Al_stargate

Al_stargate

I was once a pretty angel
Mar 4, 2022
That's an interesting topic. I've saw a guy talking in a video who jumped from bridge and he said he immediately regretted it. Maybe it was the act itself that was so terrifying that made him change his mind. I think people aren't actually suicidal, they just have problems in life they can't seem to find a way out but still wanna live if things turned around. Most if not everybody feels that way. The staring death in the eyes and thoughts or own decaying flesh likely made them rethink their predicament, is it worth going through. People understand things from their perspective and if they say don't do it, things are not as bleak or can turn around, then it must be true for them and somebody else too. But not for everyone.

• Hugs
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood, sopwithcamel and houseofleaves
sealbabies

sealbabies

Student
Mar 27, 2022
That's an interesting topic. I've saw a guy talking in a video who jumped from bridge and he said he immediately regretted it. Maybe it was the act itself that was so terrifying that made him change his mind. I think people aren't actually suicidal, they just have problems in life they can't seem to find a way out but still wanna live if things turned around. Most if not everybody feels that way. The staring death in the eyes and thoughts or own decaying flesh likely made them rethink their predicament, is it worth going through. People understand things from their perspective and if they say don't do it, things are not as bleak or can turn around, then it must be true for them and somebody else too. But not for everyone.
I can see what you mean I think.
That for them failing the attempt was the change they needed?
Though them telling others not to do it because of the realization they came to after does seem like it's taking away other individuals' experiences still...

Al_stargate

Al_stargate

Mar 4, 2022
That for them failing the attempt was the change they needed?
Thinking and doing are different thing I guess. Some people make realization what they've done once it's actually done. I saw a video yesterday of a student who jumped off golden gate bridge, just to impress friends. He wasn't even suicidal, so he claims. He survived but he's kind of a person that takes doing to learn, however dumb that might seem.

Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood, houseofleaves, shrek34 and 1 other person
sealbabies

sealbabies

Student
Mar 27, 2022
Thinking and doing are different thing I guess. Some people make realization what they've done once it's actually done. I saw a video yesterday of a student who jumped off golden gate bridge, just to impress friends. He wasn't even suicidal, so he claims. He survived but he's kind of a person that takes doing to learn, however dumb that might seem.
Wow okay, that is an interesting point.
Action definitely takes a different hold on your brain no doubt.
And realizing I have learned from messing up is prime proof of that.

I guess I just wondered about others because I had failed attempts that personally just disappointed me and made me just want to go through with it properly more.

• Aww..
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood and Al_stargate
Al_stargate

Al_stargate

Mar 4, 2022
I guess I just wondered about others because I had failed attempts that personally just disappointed me and made me just want to go through with it properly more.
That's an interesting situation. Some are desperate enough to do it but change their mind and are regretful after. Maybe it's attention seeking. Most people will likely try again.

Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood and houseofleaves
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Some people may regret their attempts, but it doesn't mean that everyone does. The people that believe that a suicide attempt is always impulsive, irrational and should always be prevented are delusional. To me it is horrifying how people are saved from an attempt against their wishes. The right to die should be respected. If someone decides to leave this world then that is their choice and nobody else should have any say in it. People should not be forced to live against their wishes. To be pro life means to be pro suffering.

Reactions: Niko66, demuic, onlyanimalsaregood and 7 others
E

Ednospatient

Arcanist
Sep 2, 2021
Some people may regret their attempts, but it doesn't mean that everyone does. The people that believe that a suicide attempt is always impulsive, irrational and should always be prevented are delusional. To me it is horrifying how people are saved from an attempt against their wishes. The right to die should be respected. If someone decides to leave this world then that is their choice and nobody else should have any say in it. People should not be forced to live against their wishes. To be pro life means to be pro suffering.
So you think impulsive suicides should not be prevented?

sealbabies

sealbabies

Student
Mar 27, 2022
@FuneralCry 100%
I guess it's the individuals who change their tune to be pro-life for everyone after a failed attempt are what I find most upsetting.

fatefulstillness

fatefulstillness

ghost.
Oct 24, 2021
Personally I believe impulsive suicides should be prevented, but if a person has been suffering for years (like me for example) they are allowed to ctb.
That's not what I meant. What does an impulsive suicide look like? Who gets to decide?

Reactions: myopybyproxy, demuic and Maaizr
sealbabies

sealbabies

Student
Mar 27, 2022
Personally I believe impulsive suicides should be prevented, but if a person has been suffering for years (like me for example) they are allowed to ctb.
Suffering is subjective, who dictates how much pain someone is in mentally?

Reactions: demuic, houseofleaves and fatefulstillness
E

Ednospatient

Arcanist
Sep 2, 2021
That's not what I meant. What does an impulsive suicide look like? Who gets to decide?
An impulsive suicide is a suicide that has been planned for a very short period of time, unlike most of us who have been planning it for years.

fatefulstillness

fatefulstillness

ghost.
Oct 24, 2021
An impulsive suicide is a suicide that has been planned for a very short period of time, unlike most of us who have been planning it for years.
But you wouldn't know that, no one else would. You can't look at a suicide and decide it was an impulsive decision because you don't know how long that person had been feeling that way for, and their reasons behind it.

Reactions: demuic, Rebs, Maaizr and 1 other person
sealbabies

sealbabies

Student
Mar 27, 2022
@Ednospatient The fact that you even consider an impulsive act "planned" at all is worrisome.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
There is no way of knowing what is going through someones mind before they attempt ctb and anyway as I said, I do not think that people should be forced to live against their wishes. We have no obligations to stay alive as we did not ask to exist and nobody needs to justify their reasons for leaving this world anyway. We all have the right to exit this world at a time of our own choosing.

Reactions: Niko66, Rebs and sealbabies
Intelligent_Panic99

Intelligent_Panic99

Student
Jan 4, 2022
I'd say my first few attempts were impulsive - yet I have had feeling of not wanting to exist nearly all of my life. I just didn't really plan them out for more than a few days. My only regret is that they failed. I think some people will regret it and some won't. Like @Al_stargate said (I'm paraphrasing) some people just need to do something to learn. They need to jump off the bridge to find out they don't want to die. Other people actually want to die.

I remember when the psych asked me if I regretted my attempt (about 2 days after the ER) and I said no, he seemed completely shocked. Like he couldn't believe I'd rather be dead than locked in the hell hole hospital. lol. I have done A LOT of therapy and been on so much medication since then and I have never for one day regretted the impulse to kill myself. Like I said, I just regret not doing a better job.

• Hugs
Reactions: myopybyproxy, demuic, onlyanimalsaregood and 2 others
O

ornitier199

Arcanist
Mar 26, 2022
I think people aren't actually suicidal, they just have problems in life they can't seem to find a way out but still wanna live if things turned around.
No I really am. Death is not a fear. It's fighting passed this body's stupid survival instinct passing through any agony that comes with the method dying before reaching that end.

No. That's still forcing.

• Hugs
Reactions: markimobzzdeasui
Al_stargate

Al_stargate

Mar 4, 2022
No I really am. Death is not a fear. It's fighting passed this body's stupid survival instinct passing through any agony that comes with the method dying before reaching that end.
Sorry that life brings you no pleasure and enjoyment.

S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Some people really need to hit rock bottom before they can fix their life. It's like magic that all of a sudden you the answer to your issues and how to solve, but you can't do it right now because you're plummeting to your death. I believe people do regret having to resort to death for their issues. ICU nurse asked me if I regret my attempt, I said no, I regret not choosing a better location and I'd do it again if given the motivation and chance.

Their face:

Shocked Alicia Keys GIF by The Voice

Reactions: sopwithcamel, onlyanimalsaregood, Shu and 2 others
O

ornitier199

Arcanist
Mar 26, 2022
Sorry that life brings you no pleasure and enjoyment.
What your view of what life is what; enjoyment it brings may not be the same as mine. Just because I'm actually suicidal doesn't mean I've never had or have things that are enjoyable to me. I do and can still want to die.
I do have my thing that brings me enjoyment, unless it's taken from me.

Maaizr

Maaizr

LIGHTSTEALER
Aug 2, 2021
no i dont believe them for a second, lol its just their SI talking🤫

sealbabies

sealbabies

Student
Mar 27, 2022
no i dont believe them for a second, lol its just their SI talking🤫
Yeah, certainly feels like that to me sometimes. Ofc I can't claim their mindset.

Reactions: Shu and Maaizr
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
When survivors of suicide attempts say they regretted it the moment they started going through with it?

The ones I'm talking about are vocal and tend to actively speak out against ctb.

I think they failed and are afraid to try again (which is understandable); however, them turning around and using their circumstances as a calling card on anyone who wants to ctb.
Personally feels upsetting to me.
I generally do believe them, but I don't let their anecdote affect my attitude towards ctb. Just because they regretted it doesn't mean I would. There are plenty of people who also don't regret attempting. They might regret it for the injuries, but that's something else.

Reactions: demuic, sopwithcamel, Cathy Ames and 2 others
Al_stargate

Al_stargate

Mar 4, 2022
What your view of what life is what; enjoyment it brings may not be the same as mine. Just because I'm actually suicidal doesn't mean I've never had or have things that are enjoyable to me. I do and can still want to die.
I do have my thing that brings me enjoyment, unless it's taken from me.
hmm, that's interesting. I would assume only people with pain whether physical or mental consider suicide. Or people with no sense of pleasure or enjoyment.

O

ornitier199

Arcanist
Mar 26, 2022
hmm, that's interesting. I would assume only people with pain whether physical or mental consider suicide. Or people with no sense of pleasure or enjoyment.

"Do not assume that what you do not know. It is better to ask and be right than to assume and be wrong."
It's not that fear death, I just have to fight against survival instinct first to get there.

Reactions: demuic and Al_stargate
sealbabies

sealbabies

Student
Mar 27, 2022
Yeah, I guess it takes all kinds, even in our realm of ctb.
I've heard of some people just being fixated on the idea of reaching death. Like they do not claim unbearable suffering or lack of joy in life.
Still believe in the individual's choice.

• Love
Reactions: demuic, Maaizr, Shu and 1 other person
markimobzzdeasui

markimobzzdeasui

Life is a cruel joke
Oct 24, 2021
I think there is a lot of grey area in this. Many suicide attempt survivors are found and some people atleast know about that whether family,or those who saw them at the act. This definitely creates a stigma/fear/gaslighting effect on their already traumtised brain. Compound it with having almost no healthy non judgemental outlet afterwards, for showing their true raw emotions and such people starts to have that perception about suicide. Maybe when they live now,their problems are not there or don't bother them too much because of support or they just start repressing them and avoid going back and acknowledging that suicidal mindset. I am willing to bet it happens in lots of cases. It depends on age as well. If they are teens,it is easy to do so, than if they are in their late 20's or 30's maybe. I understand and respect those survivor's decision because it is not easy at that time. But I don't like when they start applying their own scenario and life to every one else's.
The real problem is that the media, prolifers and others always portray it as that "There is always help. See this case. Suicide is never an option". Not many bother to look back and contemplate the reasons when things are normal for them and even if they do,this is not usually shared by such prolifers. Sorry I am being too cynical.

Last edited:
Reactions: demuic, onlyanimalsaregood and sealbabies
symphony

symphony

surving hour-by-hour
Mar 12, 2022
I believe these people are genuine in what they say; I don't believe their experience is universal or necessarily "right".

I've survived 3 attempts. To be clear, for various reasons none of my attempts were likely to succeed (as compared to someone who survived a high jump). The first time I panicked and got scared of dying. I did not suddenly have a will to live, I just had less of a will to die. The second and third time I remained highly suicidal after my attempt failed. These survivors may be highly vocal but their experiences don't accurately describe all attempted or completed suicides.

I would hypothesize that their experiences are caused by one of two things:
  1. Looking death in the face gave them a new perspective and caused a genuine change of heart and renewed will to live. I speculate this would be more likely to occur in those acting impulsively versus in the chronically suicidal who have come to a rational decision to die.
  2. SI kicked in.
I could be way off base here. These are just my naive, uninformed thoughts.

Reactions: fatefulstillness and demuic