mortuarymary

mortuarymary

Enlightened
Jan 17, 2024
Our house is haunted, we know this because of the strange things occurring. Seems friendly and got a thing for candles and Now tv.
I always wondered because my Grandad committed suicide and he would haunt my mom, gran and even my Dad. He would even look at me, my sister and brother when we were sleeping. Do you think someone who dies a not good death hangs around? My grandad eventually disappeared but I do feel there is something there.
before I was on sick leave I was working at NHS hospital mortuary as a APT. Sometimes you'd feel a presence even though you were alone. I never felt alone though, used to talk to them. Especially the long termers who had no family.
My mom died in 2008 and if anyone was going to come back she would, but she only appears in dreams, just like my brother does. Am I totally bonkers?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, Joarga, Saturn_ and 7 others
Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
Hmmm...
I believe there are things we can't see, and that some people are sensitive to them compared to others.
It may not be scientific, but it's just one of those things that cannot be ruled out at the moment. Science just says that the feeling of being "haunted" is a result of certain parts of the brain being triggered. The question is, what are those triggers?
But I digress. I dont think you're bonkers, at most it may be your subconscious missing those that are already departed. Or it may not be. Either way, you're not bonkers.

Reactions: scarlet-pixie, ColorlessTrees, Saturn_ and 2 others
Seered Doom

Seered Doom

A nihilist going through an unrelinquished Hell
Sep 9, 2023
I believe in ghosts. History has a lot there and when you have a sordid history like what's described, then it's no wonder this is happening. I do not think you're bonkers at all. In fact, this actually makes a ton of sense. As the one above explained, there's some science behind this haunting feeling and the haunted place in particular.

Reactions: Saturn_, sserafim and Praestat_Mori
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
I hope they're not real I'd hate being one. I wish for eternal nothingness.

Reactions: sserafim, Praestat_Mori and trashhologram
trashhologram

trashhologram

⚰ Baby, let me decompose ⚰
Dec 15, 2023
Not really. I love all spooky things and I do watch some "haunted" video compilations like Loey Lane, CJades and Bizarrebub. Many of them are easy to fake but some videos have left me speechless. I would like to believe in the paranormal but unless I experience something like that myself I'm a sceptic.

Reactions: sserafim, Praestat_Mori and reclaimedbynature
FujoshiNeet

FujoshiNeet

people call me unhinged
Jan 21, 2024
Eh. I spent my youth "ghost hunting", playing with Ouija boards, and demon summoning. Ain't ever gotten shit. Doing all that helped me step into Atheism.

Reactions: cowboypants, Onelegman, reclaimedbynature and 2 others
mortuarymary

mortuarymary

Enlightened
Jan 17, 2024
Eh. I spent my youth "ghost hunting", playing with Ouija boards, and demon summoning. Ain't ever gotten shit. Doing all that helped me step into Atheism.
Never tried an ouija board, was too frightened

Reactions: sserafim and Praestat_Mori
C

changes

Nov 25, 2023
Our house is haunted, we know this because of the strange things occurring. Seems friendly and got a thing for candles and Now tv.
I always wondered because my Grandad committed suicide and he would haunt my mom, gran and even my Dad. He would even look at me, my sister and brother when we were sleeping. Do you think someone who dies a not good death hangs around? My grandad eventually disappeared but I do feel there is something there.
before I was on sick leave I was working at NHS hospital mortuary as a APT. Sometimes you'd feel a presence even though you were alone. I never felt alone though, used to talk to them. Especially the long termers who had no family.
My mom died in 2008 and if anyone was going to come back she would, but she only appears in dreams, just like my brother does. Am I totally bonkers?
My late family only appear to me in dreams too. I usually love it when they do. I wake up ad long for them

• Hugs
Reactions: Joarga, sserafim and reclaimedbynature
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I think there could be ghosts. I heard that there are different kinds of them too, like tricksters (I think they're actually called poltergeists). I'm not sure for certain though because personally I haven't seen one, but some places have a heavy, haunting and depressing energy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColorlessTrees
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
There could very well be "ghosts" (energetic entities) in other dimensions we cannot see or access as 3-dimensional beings. However I don't think "ghosts" - if they exist - have an actual influence on us.

Reactions: sserafim
mortuarymary

mortuarymary

Enlightened
Jan 17, 2024
My late family only appear to me in dreams too. I usually love it when they do. I wake up ad long for them
Me too xxx
I think there could be ghosts. I heard that there are different kinds of them too, like tricksters (I think they're actually called poltergeists). I'm not sure for certain though because personally I haven't seen one, but some places have a heavy, haunting and depressing energy.
There are a few I'd haunt.

Reactions: sserafim
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Interestingly all of the world's major religions agree on the existence of ghosts, they're mentioned numerous times across various religious texts. The disciples for example famously fear Jesus when they encounter him walking towards them on water in the middle of a storm, asking if he's a ghost. Whether you believe the events of the bible happened or not, what is clear is that the authors themselves believed in ghosts, and in fact a belief in ghosts is found throughout every major culture, dating back to the dawn of history itself.

The problem with ghosts is those ghost shows or people who tell ghost stories. Those ghost shows are bullshit.

There's so many stories. Is it because people are just scared and their senses are on heightened alert and they see things that aren't really there, that could be it. Because when its dark out and you're tired. First of all, you might be half asleep anyway. But you hear things, you get scared, your senses get really heightened and maybe you might see something thats not even really there. It's just your own brain, your paranoia fucking with you. Because its always happening at night under low-light conditions. It's always weird things that are fleeting and then they're gone. It's always in the dark, it's never at the beach. The general cause for many phenomenon is that the brain is misinterpreting these events. Our brains have evolved to seek patterns and as a consequence we see patterns where there are none. If someone senses something unusual it may lead them to conclude something supernatural has happened because they aren't familiar with it. We know what a radio is and how it works but to our ancestors voices coming from a box would be a supernatural event because they're not aware of the natural explanation.

The nonmaterial embodiment, or essence or organism that's seen as a specter, wraith or apparition has been scientifically proven to be a sheer myth. In other words, there's no such thing as a ghost. Watch Myth Busters, watch Penn & Teller: Bullshit, subscribe to Skeptic Magazine and Skeptical Inquirer and read any scientific book and watch that so-called "evidence" for ghosts just disappear. They've done tests where they tell one group a theater that's under construction that its is haunted and the other group they don't them anything and the first group reports hauntings and the second doesn't. Just the suggestiveness of the human psyche. Combined with our natural predilection for seeing human body parts and our brain striving to apply speech to noises.

When people talk about "scientific proof of ghosts" they usually site the first law of thermodynamics: matter cannot be created nor destroyed, it can only change forms. So the total amount of energy and matter in the universe always remains constant. So when we die is it possible that our energy manifests as ghosts? Well not if we're gonna stay consistent. Energy is transferred into the environment meaning that human energy transfers like all other organisms energy into other life forms and plants that absorb it. There are other inconsistencies here, too. Ghosts can walk through walls and yet they can also slam doors and move stuff around. Ghost hunters monitor the temperature of the room because it gets cold in a ghost's presence. And yet if ghosts were indeed a type of energy it would be impossible for them to cool the room down. Only if ghosts were made of matter could they then absorb the heat from the room and cool it down. But if ghosts were made of matter then they would be physically observable.

Today modern science has given us many explanations for phenomenon we traditionally considered to be ghosts. Dancing lights which humans believed for millennia where spirits or playful sprites have been shown to be a rare phenomenon known as ball lightning. Mental illness and even mass psychological delusions, along with our hardwired and extremely powerful pattern recognition talents have explained away a great deal of ghostly sightings. Just recently, the discovery of the effects of extremely low frequency sound waves on the human body helped explain a great deal of ghost phenomenon. Infrasound. Rare (in nature) low frequency sound that causes restlessness, hallucinations, chills, and other side effects, over exposure. Those sound waves are too low for the human ear to perceive, but some scientists believe we've been evolutionarily hardwired to recognize their physiological effects on our bodies and associate these sound waves with extreme danger. That's because many predators, such as roaring tigers, can let loose with ultra-low frequency sound waves. Researching the idea that ELF waves were responsible for much of our belief in ghosts, scientists discovered many pieces of modern equipment causing ELF waves. Things such as air conditioning units and industrial fans, when fitted improperly, could cause ELF waves, and it just so happened that many of these units were discovered in traditionally haunted locations.

Physicist: I don't know on ghosts, although some things called ghosts are persistent energy patterns (a bit like whirlpools in reality). What we call reality is based on seemingly-random events. However systems with seemingly-random events can have larger non-random patterns. For example, water molecules bounce around seemingly randomly off each other in a large body of water, yet the ocean can have currents and waves that are far from random and these patterns can persist. The best non-dismissive explanation for ghosts that I know is that they are persistent patterns in reality, similar to a whirlpool and a stream that periodically forms in the same place. These examples are a subset of persistent patterns in reality. Any sort (of energy) that can interact with the human. for example, an oddly-shaped tree can suggest things that repel or attract particular types of people, or a room can reflect sound in a peculiar way, or have strange drafts... I think that what we mean by "ghosts" are mostly psychological, but that can be triggered by some real phenomenon. We don't necessarily refer to the energy itself as a ghost. Any sort of energy that can be perceived (patterns of shade, the outline of a big tree, clouds, wind and other air currents, probably magnetic fields, sounds, etc.) can trigger the human brain to come up with explanations for that which is perceived, and a ghost is one of the way that people explain what they perceive.

I think there is a logical explanation for ghosts. I think it's something that we don't understand yet. I have ideas. The problem is real serious scientists don't seem to want to investigate which is a shame because I think it could be interesting. The only thing that I've come up with that makes any sense in my head, is that oftentimes places where people see ghosts have high electronic readings and shit like that. It's possible that there's magnetic fields in the earth that we don't understand and that maybe they fuck with our heads (The Earth's natural magnetic field resonance might be able to mess with your mind, and the sun's magnetic field or its influence on the solar wind and CMEs can change that magnetic field, so it might be possible... Power-lines certainly give off magnetic fields. Earthquakes seem to affect the Earth's magnetic field. Vortices of charged particles would give off magnetic fields. The other planets exert nothing significant as far as electric or magnetic influence on earth),
and we see things. And if you're on a battlefield maybe you see soldiers because you expect to see soldiers. But I don't know, thats my guess.
Personally I don't believe that ghosts are dead people floating around. There's far too many experiences that have been shared for me to believe it's not true. I've seen something that people consider a "paranormal activity" at Gettysburg I saw the floating orbs over the battlefield. These things I'm quite certain that they're not human souls wandering around because that would require us to have souls and I don't see any proof of that. The human consciousness cannot exist without the body. You are inexorably linked to your brain and vice versa. So unless we could prove that somehow human beings could exist outside of the body or at least consciousness then we could get onto the issue of ghosts as actual beings. I think it's more likely that ghosts are the result of some sort of magnetic wave or some shit that we do not understand yet that emanates from the earth or the sun or the moon or whatever and that fucks with our brain in a way that we don't understand yet.

I know some people who have told some pretty... entertaining, I'm not sure how convincing, ghost stories of their own experiences. So a part of me really, really wants to believe in them. But the fact of the matter is, I don't. Its kind of a nice thought to think that there is an afterlife and a spirit world but I have never experienced any ghosts. Yet. So whats the final word on my belief, well, I certainly, certainly think that there are things in this world that we cannot fully understand or do not yet fully understand. All sorts of strange things happen all the time to all sorts of different people. I mean people I personally know have had these weird things happen. Is this proof of ghosts? No. Is it evidence? Sure, I think that ghosts is as good of an explanation as any. And it is certainly a valid possibility.

Reactions: scarlet-pixie, ColorlessTrees, cowboypants and 2 others
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
No but they still scare me in video games.

Reactions: sserafim and DarkRange55
tsumihoroboshi

tsumihoroboshi

Lost Impact
Oct 31, 2023
I believed in them and the supernatural until I had a psychotic break in 2017 and realised I'm just completely batshit. All my "paranormal experiences" has been my mental illness.... Life has become more dull and less worth it knowing ghosts aren't real. I was happier believing in them.

But... I don't completely not believe in them. In a way, I think "ghosts" are the consciousness left behind by those that died in other timelines, like how dreams are other timelines, because I've ben thru some things that simply can't be logically explained when I have witnesses that have felt the same things.

Sometimes something happens and what else could explain it? Being agnostic saves me sometimes.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
No idea if ghosts are real or not but I'm always prepared to shit my pants should they decide to reveal themselves to me. They don't even have to definitely prove their existence for that. Oh, a weird noise in the dark just happened? Good enough for me. Put that one in the peer reviewed journals while I get outta there.

On the off chance I become a ghost I'd probably spend the rest of eternity being scared of myself but if I can get over that I guess I'd just go ahead and haunt people as best as I can.

• Yay!
Reactions: limeoctave
BorderlineChellery

BorderlineChellery

I was never meant for this life...
Feb 19, 2024
I'm a believer. I had an experience one night a few years ago, I'd been asleep and I woke up, I checked my phone to see what time it was and was just about to turn over to go back to sleep when I saw a tall black figure stood at the end of the bed, I instantly woke my boyfriend up, but it was gone before he had a chance to look

• Wow
Reactions: limeoctave
limeoctave

limeoctave

welcome home old friend, how was your life?
Mar 24, 2024
not really, but maybe with the development of science and technology, some interesting facts related to the paranormal topic can be revealed

in the apartment i live in now, three people have definitely died (i hope i will be the fourth), and i have never encountered the paranormal here, but i would like to, maybe, at least i think so now, until i encounter this

Saturn_

Saturn_

Arcanist
Apr 22, 2024
Wouldn't say I disbelieve them. Call me an idiot, but my father always recounts this story about he saw a ghost when he was a lot younger, and he has to be one of the most honest people I know. Maybe this story could have an alternative explanation, but I've no reason to think that he didn't tell me this with the belief that he actually saw a ghost.

The basic gist of this story is that he was out hunting, when he saw a young woman -- blonde, with a white gown -- running through the woods. Now obviously, running in the woods will make at least a bit of a racket. Leaves crunching, twigs breaking, all that jazz. But the lady rushed by gracefully, silently, no noise whatsoever. From the distance my dad was at, he should've heard at least something. Nope. Nothing at all. Every time my dad recounts this story, every time I ask about it, the details stay the same, and he always has that same bewilderment in his voice.

Other people might've seen her too. My late grandmother told Dad that she got a phone call from a neighbor. He asked something alone the lines of, (and excuse my language,) "What's with that retarded girl running through the woods?"

I'm fairly certain Dad NEVER told Grandma about the lady until then, so she couldn't make that up. Keep in mind, this call was supposedly decades after my dad's sighting. The neighbor's usage of the word "girl" may imply that she still appeared young after all those years. I think Dad told me about another person seeing the girl, but I don't quite remember. Pretty spooky stuff. We considered visiting the site together, but never ended up doing so.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees
DefinitelyReady

DefinitelyReady

*perpetually annoyed*
Mar 14, 2024
I'm an agnostic-atheist, but there are sciences we haven't figured out yet and will continue to navigate through in the next couple of hundred years. I really didn't believe, until my mom and I were watching a movie and I paused it to talk (I do that.) and there was a lull; then, we heard two children giggle towards the inner living room wall by the thermostat, and we both jerked our heads in that direction. We both knew it was NOT the neighbors, and it was only like 5 feet away from the couch. She was shocked and creeped out; I thought it was awesome...🤣

Last edited: