F

freedommatrix

Dec 19, 2019
In your life, family, friends, coworkers etc... do these people genuinely enjoy life or are they living for reasons like not hurting others? If so, isn't life inherently dislikeable?

Do people actually enjoy getting up in the morning?

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, NoGameNoLife, Élégie and 4 others
StillWaiting

StillWaiting

Need cats to comfort me
Jul 28, 2018
Some of them I know seems to be enjoying their lives. Getting whatever they want, everything seems like it is going their way.

However my parents don't seems to be enjoying their lives but they say that's just how life is. It just doesn't makes sense why people can put up with how shitty life is and claim that suffering is part of being alive.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, NoGameNoLife, BlueWidow and 3 others
TheDevilsAngel

TheDevilsAngel

LetMeFree
Apr 22, 2019
Some people are and some don't they live for there kids etc.....

Reactions: Moonicide, Flume, forever21 and 2 others
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I think most people are programmed by nature to just exist and never ask why.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Kaczka86, NoGameNoLife and 11 others
B

brokenengine

Dec 18, 2019
I think many people genuinely do want to be alive, though perhaps not as many as you might think just by looking at them. There are people who seem very motivated and determined by some goal or another, even when the odds are stacked against them, so maybe they've found something I haven't? Sometimes it gives me hope, sometimes it makes me feel worse.

• Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, NoGameNoLife, Flume and 5 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I've heard that if you're ignorant it can be bliss. But I think there's alot more of our kind out there then most realize. They just keep trudging through life for various reasons.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, NoGameNoLife, BlueWidow and 4 others

Experienced
Sep 10, 2019
People live because it is so. unfortunately there is something called human instinct and the filthy nature itself that makes living beings live at any cost.
Most humans on earth have a mediocre life and yet only the minority kills themselves.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Élégie, Sensei and 2 others
WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Antinatalism + Efilism ❤️
Nov 4, 2019
I think most people are programmed by nature to just exist and never ask why.
They just don't ask the important questions, just the stupid ones
I believe the ones who enjoy life are ignorant(ignorance is bliss) while the ones who aren't are trying to cope/trying to find a way out etc.

• Love
Reactions: NoGameNoLife, Élégie, Sensei and 1 other person
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
They just don't ask the important questions, just the stupid ones
I believe the ones who enjoy life are ignorant(ignorance is bliss) while the ones who aren't are trying to cope/trying to find a way out etc.

Indeed, intelligence is not the road to happiness.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, NoGameNoLife, Élégie and 1 other person
WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Nov 4, 2019
Indeed, intelligence is not the road to happiness.
Indeed. If you're intelligent enough, you start wanting to kill yourself on the daily.

• Love
Reactions: NoGameNoLife and Sensei
MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
Some people DO enjoy life- I used to! So I know what that feels like. It was good- at the time!

Reactions: Sensei
mattwitt

mattwitt

# 978
Jun 28, 2018
I would say the vast majority of people just don't want to die. They would rather be a coward about it and try and live as long as possible.

Reactions: NoGameNoLife, BlueWidow, Élégie and 1 other person
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Indeed. If you're intelligent enough, you start wanting to kill yourself on the daily.

I wouldn't go that far, but I'd claim that intelligent people are much more inclined to be suicidal. (There are actually some scientific studies that confirm this, at least indirectly. Highly intelligent people are at a much higher risk (at least x8) of developing bipolar disorder, and bipolar people have the highest sucide rate of all groups in society.)

WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Nov 4, 2019
I wouldn't go that far, but I'd claim that intelligent people are much more inclined to be suicidal. (There are actually some scientific studies that confirm this, at least indirectly. Highly intelligent people are at a much higher risk (at least x8) of developing bipolar disorder, and bipolar people have the highest sucide rate of all groups in society.)
I wouldn't trust "scientific studies" 100%.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I wouldn't trust "scientific studies" 100%.

There are no 100% reliable scientific studies. The studies I refer to studied very large populations and were purely quantitive in nature, though.

Reactions: WhyIsLife56
WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Nov 4, 2019
There are no 100% reliable scientific studies. The studies I refer to studied very large populations and were purely quantitive in nature, though.
I didn't say intelligent people in general. I mentioned "if you're intelligent enough." So like a certain kind of intelligence

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
In your life, family, friends, coworkers etc... do these people genuinely enjoy life or are they living for reasons like not hurting others? If so, isn't life inherently dislikeable?

Do people actually enjoy getting up in the morning?
Yes for some people life really is amazing but those people are probably in the minority. Most of us are educated terribly in public schools, and university, brainwashed by television, Hollywood, and even our own family lol! Elders don't always tell the truth to the young or don't bother which keeps the cycle of shit lives keep repeating for many of us. Unfortunately not all parents want u to outshine them, some actually inhibit their own kids from having their own life or from being able to succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoGameNoLife
enjoy

enjoy

Creature
Dec 20, 2019
i'd say so. my ex deeply struggled with depression, but i think it was only because of me. most of my friends and family are happy on a daily basis. sure, they're sad on occasion, but it's short-lived and they can easily overcome it. it's nowhere near being depressed. i still haven't really grasped the fact that being so mentally ill actually makes me a minority of sorts, and that most people wake up and spend their days feeling content with existing. like, normal people don't cut or wish they were dead. it's weird. i can't picture life without constant and intense suffering. a perfect life seems so fragile and terrifying; too difficult to manage and keep intact.

Reactions: Final Escape
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I didn't say intelligent people in general. I mentioned "if you're intelligent enough." So like a certain kind of intelligence

Fair enough. I think we basically are of the same opinion.

Reactions: WhyIsLife56
MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
Do you mind if I ask, what changed for you since then?
Gosh would take too long to explain. A very complex set of circumstances. In part caused by a highly self esteem destroying relationship- but the knock on effects were huge! Totally lost my entire sense of self & self worth. So everything spiralled out of control very rapidly!

NeCkDeEp

NeCkDeEp

Experienced
Nov 30, 2019
I'm sure that some people I know do especially because lots of them can't imagine what it feels like to be suicidal and have never felt that way before

EmptyArms

EmptyArms

Student
Dec 1, 2019
Gosh would take too long to explain. A very complex set of circumstances. In part caused by a highly self esteem destroying relationship- but the knock on effects were huge! Totally lost my entire sense of self & self worth. So everything spiralled out of control very rapidly!
How sad that someone could damage you so deeply. I'm sorry. You seem like a really lovely person.

MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
How sad that someone could damage you so deeply. I'm sorry. You seem like a really lovely person.
thku, thats kind-i guess its that i was pretty delicate before hand so that made me much easier to break, i became not even strong enough to leave, also I had financial woes-so that made it harder, plus its so hard to see things clearly when u r in it.

EmptyArms

EmptyArms

Student
Dec 1, 2019
It really is true. 'In it' offers the very worse vantage point.

Moonicide

Moonicide

ᴘʜᴀꜱᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ
Nov 19, 2019
I don't know about most people, but what I do know is there's people out there that actually enjoy life and look forward to each day, and do not live with any sort of mental illness. Which I absolutely find absurd and foreign, but people like that do exist. Still very hard to comprehend and process that.

• Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, NoGameNoLife, BlueWidow and 1 other person
Bleak Stoic

Bleak Stoic

Goodbye, Cruel World.
Dec 22, 2019
The instinct of self preservation is within us all. We all want to live, and thrive. But some of us have realized that just isn't possible and have decided to opt out, knowing thier lives will never improve.

Reactions: NoGameNoLife and WhyIsLife56
F

freedommatrix

Dec 19, 2019
The instinct of self preservation is within us all. We all want to live, and thrive. But some of us have realized that just isn't possible and have decided to opt out, knowing thier lives will never improve.

I doubt this very much (the desire to live). If it was the case then why do we need to stigmatize suicide? Surely the drive to live would mean that most people would never even think of attempting suicide but sites like these show that's not the case.

noctiva

noctiva

the invisible girl
Nov 6, 2019
I'd go so far to say that most people here on the forum want to be alive, too! No body wants to truly be dead, people just don't want to be in pain anymore, whether it's physical or psychological. I believe that people here on the forum have been left alone with their pain by doctors, friends, family and they don't see any other option to end the pain except by ending themselves.
The loss of belonging, the loss of love, of support, of understanding.. I think once that is gone for a prolonged period of time, and no one hears you scream for help anymore, no one takes your seriously anymore, that's when you know you're truly alone, and that's when people cannot enjoy life anymore. Humans are social creatures, we can persevere through horrific things, war, rape, loss of limbs, cancer, etc. But we are not made for isolation, being ostracised from 'our' people, from our support system, that is a death sentence.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game and Mr2005
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
I think so for some reason