• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Does anyone know how to do a DNR?
Do I have to go through my doctors?

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, TheLastTrip, Trashcan and 1 other person
Threads

Threads

Warlock
Jul 13, 2018
A lot of this wildly depends on your state.

It would be best to consult with a lawyer.

Reactions: Fucking loving it, Lifeisatrap, Schopenhauer and 3 others
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Trashcan and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
Also be aware that it might not be respected in a suicide attempt.

Reactions: Lara Francis, Lifeisatrap, Schopenhauer and 1 other person
T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
You can find DNR forms at office supply stores, and can probably download them on line. The language is pretty boilerplate. IIRC, you will need a witness and notary.

As an EMT, I can tell you that first responders won't go looking for a DNR. It pretty much needs to be glued to your forehead when the paramedics arrive. The times I've encountered them in homes, they've been literally taped to the bed's headboard, so we can't possibly ignore them.

There was also some question whether family members can override a DNR, but I left the EMS profession before that detail had been settled.

Be aware that if there IS a pulse or breathing, it isn't resucitation, it's a rescue, and the EMTs will go to work. Also, if certain criteria are met to decide death --lividity, rigor mortis, etc.-- EMS won't attempt resucitation because the patient has been dead long enough we know it's pointless.

Reactions: Partial-Elf, Made4TV, Lara Francis and 5 others
Xerxes

Xerxes

Invisible
Nov 8, 2018
Some people tattoo it on their bodies. Legally you can write a living will and attach an addendum with a DNR form.

Reactions: Lara Francis, Lifeisatrap and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Yeah from what little I know a doctor must sign off on it, simply writing "DNR" on your suicide note or body or something like that is not enough, paramedics will always resuscitate if they don't have enough information, because they fear more legal action if they let you die by mistake than if they save you.

Reactions: Lara Francis, Lifeisatrap and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
BaconCheeseburger

BaconCheeseburger

Comfort-eating
Aug 4, 2018
Funny this should come up. One of my Facebook friends posted a joke comment about how she was so tired after work, but her post just said 'finally dead, got my DNR sorted', and I was convinced she was being serious and thought there might be hope for me LOL.

The bit that fucks me over is needing witnesses to sign the form for it to be valid.

Reactions: Partial-Elf, Lara Francis, Lifeisatrap and 2 others
T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
The bit that fucks me over is needing witnesses to sign the form for it to be valid.
Not a big deal if you play it cool. Just take it in to an insurance agency office (where there's certain to be both a notary and someone who can witness it), acting a bit frustrated/weary, and tell them that you're working out details for your will/estate. If you're young, and they might find that odd, drop a comment about how a grandparent just died with unpleasant medical/legal details that upset your parents, and left a messy estate to clean up, and watching your family stressed and needing sort it out has driven home how you want everything tidy.
from what little I know a doctor must sign off on it
I do not believe this to be the case. It must be witnessed, but a doctor doesn't need to be part of the process.

But yes, unless the body is stiff, shows lividity, or shows destruction of the brain or body, EMS is required to attempt resucitation unless a DNR is present and apparent. This isn't about legal action, it's because it's our job.

Reactions: Lara Francis, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and weedoge
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Not a big deal if you play it cool. Just take it in to an insurance agency office (where there's certain to be both a notary and someone who can witness it), acting a bit frustrated/weary, and tell them that you're working out details for your will/estate. If you're young, and they might find that odd, drop a comment about how a grandparent just died with unpleasant medical/legal details that upset your parents, and left a messy estate to clean up, and watching your family stressed and needing sort it out has driven home how you want everything tidy.

I do not believe this to be the case. It must be witnessed, but a doctor doesn't need to be part of the process.

But yes, unless the body is stiff, shows lividity, or shows destruction of the brain or body, EMS is required to attempt resucitation unless a DNR is present and apparent. This isn't about legal action, it's because it's our job.
I'm certain there would need to be signature from some authority other than yourself for it to be honoured by paramedics in the UK definitely and probably USA too. Can't speak for other countries. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. Really don't think that, for example, a piece of paper with DNR signed by yourself would be enough. Or even a tattoo. If you're unconscious they have no way to trust such a statement without some authority, not saying whether I agree or not just how I assume it works.

Edit: interesting idea for playing it cool and going to insurance or something, if you can hide your issues well enough might be a way to go that I never considered

Reactions: Partial-Elf, Lara Francis and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
BaconCheeseburger

BaconCheeseburger

Comfort-eating
Aug 4, 2018
Not a big deal if you play it cool. Just take it in to an insurance agency office (where there's certain to be both a notary and someone who can witness it), acting a bit frustrated/weary, and tell them that you're working out details for your will/estate. If you're young, and they might find that odd, drop a comment about how a grandparent just died with unpleasant medical/legal details that upset your parents

1. I am a terrible liar
2. "Acting" frustrated and weary? That's me always lmao
3. The last bit is a good idea, I considered doing that for a will when my friend died a few months ago... but either way I'd just be so anxious. I can't lie fml

T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
I'm certain there would need to be signature from some authority other than yourself for it to be honoured by paramedics in the UK definitely and probably USA too.
You may be right. I only knew it from the EMS end of things: we'd arrive on scene and there'd be a DNR taped to the headboard. If all the blanks were adequately filled in --and it was my superior's job to check that-- then it wasn't our business any more; it was a job for the coroner.

Reactions: Lara Francis, naia_, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
You may be right. I only knew it from the EMS end of things: we'd arrive on scene and there'd be a DNR taped to the headboard. If all the blanks were adequately filled in --and it was my superior's job to check that-- then it wasn't our business any more; it was a job for the coroner.
Yeah just read your previous post actually and seems you know a lot more on the subject then me, just want OP to realise it's important to get it signed off but you already pointed that out.

Reactions: Lara Francis and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
just want OP to realise it's important to get it signed off
You bet! That's so much of this forum's value: straight information. But to be fair, I only know it from the EMS end of things. I've never done one for myself.

A basic web search on DNR forms turns up about a bazillion resources, apparently some with instructions, so the OP would probably be wise to take a few minutes and get the specifics for the state they're in.

naia_

naia_

Student
Oct 11, 2018
The country I live in, you just fill out a form online with a digital ID, then 2 days later get a letter from the system where a doctor has signed it.
Brilliant.

Last edited:
T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
If you're comfortable replying, what country are you in, Naia_?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
naia_

naia_

Student
Oct 11, 2018
Last edited:
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and TiredHorse
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
A Scandinavian one.
Can you be more specific? I am from Denmark and it would be great if there were more Danes in here to chat with.

T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
A Scandinavian one. I prefer to keep my anonymity that far.
No problem. I long dreamed of moving to Norway or Sweden, and was planning to visit there this month, in a last-chance search for a new life, before the Scandanavians on other forums I'm part of unanimously told me it wasn't a good time of year to visit. That was about the time I realized that I could move anywhere in the world and not escape what's inside my head, nor ever again find someone who could accept me or bring me joy. Better to just cut my losses and ctb.

Anyway, it sounds like at least one of the Scandanavian nations has a good system for DNRs in place.

Reactions: Fucking loving it and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
D

Deleted member 1496

Student
Aug 2, 2018
Does anyone know how to do a DNR?
Do I have to go through my doctors?

If you live in the USA, you can click on your state to see if your state has their own web site for info (oh, new term for DNR is POLST):
http://polst.org/programs-in-your-state/
The national site has instructions on how to fill it out:
http://polst.org/elements-polst-form/
I don't know about other states, but in California you need a medical person to sign it. (Hmm, I wonder if I fake the info, by the time they figure out the Dr is not real, it'll be too late to save me. Dr Who? Dr Suess? Dr...can't read the handwriting. :) )

From what I've read so far, the form needs to be with you when they find you, and a recommended practice is for it to be on hot pink paper so EMTs see it. Some say that for suicides, they may not acknowledge it. (I might try liquor labels to put over my N bottles. N on ice...Nice!)

Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Also be aware that it might not be respected in a suicide attempt.
Thats just pure dis respectful - it should still be my choice.
I was thinking of attaching the dnr to my forearm by the means of a note or even writing it on so when they go for an I.V line it will be obvious.

Reactions: Partial-Elf, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Trashcan
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
You can find DNR forms at office supply stores, and can probably download them on line. The language is pretty boilerplate. IIRC, you will need a witness and notary.

As an EMT, I can tell you that first responders won't go looking for a DNR. It pretty much needs to be glued to your forehead when the paramedics arrive. The times I've encountered them in homes, they've been literally taped to the bed's headboard, so we can't possibly ignore them.

There was also some question whether family members can override a DNR, but I left the EMS profession before that detail had been settled.

Be aware that if there IS a pulse or breathing, it isn't resucitation, it's a rescue, and the EMTs will go to work. Also, if certain criteria are met to decide death --lividity, rigor mortis, etc.-- EMS won't attempt resucitation because the patient has been dead long enough we know it's pointless.
Thankyou very much xx

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Trashcan
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Some people tattoo it on their bodies. Legally you can write a living will and attach an addendum with a DNR form.
Thankyou. That's a great idea.

Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
Thats just pure dis respectful - it should still be my choice.
I was thinking of attaching the dnr to my forearm by the means of a note or even writing it on so when they go for an I.V line it will be obvious.

I agree.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and BaconCheeseburger
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Yeah from what little I know a doctor must sign off on it, simply writing "DNR" on your suicide note or body or something like that is not enough, paramedics will always resuscitate if they don't have enough information, because they fear more legal action if they let you die by mistake than if they save you.
It' really not fair! Thanks for you post.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and weedoge
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018

Such a good story to give.thanks.

Last edited:
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
You bet! That's so much of this forum's value: straight information. But to be fair, I only know it from the EMS end of things. I've never done one for myself.

A basic web search on DNR forms turns up about a bazillion resources, apparently some with instructions, so the OP would probably be wise to take a few minutes and get the specifics for the state they're in.
Thanks xx

Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
The country I live in, you just fill out a form online with a digital ID, then 2 days later get a letter from the system where a doctor has signed it.
Brilliant.
What a great system.

Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
If you live in the USA, you can click on your state to see if your state has their own web site for info (oh, new term for DNR is POLST):
The national site has instructions on how to fill it out:
I don't know about other states, but in California you need a medical person to sign it. (Hmm, I wonder if I fake the info, by the time they figure out the Dr is not real, it'll be too late to save me. Dr Who? Dr Suess? Dr...can't read the handwriting. :) )

From what I've read so far, the form needs to be with you when they find you, and a recommended practice is for it to be on hot pink paper so EMTs see it. Some say that for suicides, they may not acknowledge it. (I might try liquor labels to put over my N bottles. N on ice...Nice!)
Thankyou tired of coping. X

Reactions: Deleted member 1496 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Lara Francis

Lara Francis

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Thankyou for your likes EvilAngel goddess. Xx

Reactions: BaconCheeseburger and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals