A

Azul

Aug 21, 2019
If you could disappear and had the survival skills to live outside of society, in the wildlings, would you do it? Would it make you feel better?

woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
Nah, precisely what I don't need.

Stan

Stan

Factoid Hunter
Aug 29, 2019
It's the other end of the spectrum of if you won billions of pounds, would it make the depression or whatever ails you go? Answer is still No

Reactions: LastFlowers and woxihuanni
Sweet emotion

Sweet emotion

Enlightened
Sep 14, 2019
No. I have physical pain which is why I'm killing myself so that wouldn't help me.

Return2Dust

Return2Dust

Experienced
Sep 28, 2019
No. Where've I go, I take myself with me. I'm the problem, unfortunately.

Reactions: LastFlowers
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I used to think so but it's a fantasy. Wherever you go there you are.

Chalken

Chalken

Decaying
Nov 20, 2018
I don't think my mental illnesses would just vanish if I were to go off-grid. I wouldn't have to interact with people, sure, but one kind of problems would be replaced with another ones. Though I wonder how back in the day, before society was a thing, people would just spend their time trying to survive, hunting for food, searching for shelter, etc, and depression barely existed, if at all. Nowadays, you don't have to put in any effort to survive (though living with mental illnesses sure does seem to require effort), the world's information is available at your fingertips and that can lead the mind to dark places if you don't distract yourself with pointless entertainment or pursue career paths, relationships and so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I don't think my mental illnesses would just vanish if I were to go off-grid. I wouldn't have to interact with people, sure, but one kind of problems would be replaced with another ones. Though I wonder how back in the day, before society was a thing, people would just spend their time trying to survive, hunting for food, searching for shelter, etc, and depression barely existed, if at all. Nowadays, you don't have to put in any effort to survive (though living with mental illnesses sure does seem to require effort), the world's available at your fingertips and that can lead the mind to dark places if you don't distract yourself with pointless entertainment or pursue career paths, relationships and so on.
I think that's an accurate observation. Whilst you wouldn't lose any mental tendancies you'd be so knackered from just surviving you wouldn't have the energy to be depressed.
I've changed my mind. I want my log cabin in the hills. Just with broadband and WiFi just in case.

Reactions: Chalken
Chalken

Chalken

Decaying
Nov 20, 2018
I think that's an accurate observation. Whilst you wouldn't lose any mental tendancies you'd be so knackered from just surviving you wouldn't have the energy to be depressed.
I've changed my mind. I want my log cabin in the hills. Just with broadband and WiFi just in case.
A hut in the middle of nowhere with internet would be kinda nice, I think. Although you'd still have to get food somehow. But as much as I'm awkward around humans, loathe interacting and just generally don't fit in into society, I think I'd slowly go insane. Kind of what I'm going through right now. Isolation, loneliness, a sense of despair and all that. Though if I decided to kill myself there, my body probably wouldn't be found until it had finished decomposing lol

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
A hut in the middle of nowhere with internet would be kinda nice, I think. Although you'd still have to get food somehow. But as much as I'm awkward around humans, loathe interacting and just generally don't fit in into society, I think I'd slowly go insane. Kind of what I'm going through right now. Isolation, loneliness, a sense of despair and all that. Though if I decided to kill myself there, my body probably wouldn't be found until it had finished decomposing lol
I'm utterly isolated too and not through choice. I'm a gregarious introvert. I like other people but I have to be alone to recharge. So I guess I'd add a horse and a truck to this idyll. Mmm it's getting more complicated. ..

Chalken

Chalken

Decaying
Nov 20, 2018
I'm utterly isolated too and not through choice. I'm a gregarious introvert. I like other people but I have to be alone to recharge. So I guess I'd add a horse and a truck to this idyll. Mmm it's getting more complicated. ..
I think I pushed everyone away and burned all bridges the first time my depression got worse and now I'm left only with my immediate family. Nobody cared to reach out when I isolated myself from everyone. Well, except for my parents. I'm glad for that, at least.

I'm an introvert as well, but I have social anxiety. I try and try to work on my social anxiety, but depression always gets the best of me. I wouldn't really call myself a misanthrope, but some things that humans do and say make me sick to my stomach.

Last edited:
T

Tiedie

Oct 21, 2019
If I had a partner with equal skills I'd totally do it.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I had social anxiety when I was young I remember how awkward it was. I learnt to fake it then overcome it as I got older. For me it was like learning a skill. And beer helped though I don't recommend it.

BipolarExpat

BipolarExpat

Accomplished faker
May 30, 2019

Dick is just a legend, pure and simple.

I would very much like to disappear "into the wild." And consider it as a potential way to go out.

To do it as a lifestyle, as a mission to cure thyself, stay aboveboard (legal), etc...it takes some money to get set up and to keep rolling. It ain't pocket change neither.

Reactions: Tiedie
N

neilo99

Tired of Life
Oct 9, 2019
Nah, I need medicine, wine and cheese too much