Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
It's a curious fact: During both the world wars, the suicide rates went down in the Western world, both in warring countries and neutral countries. They may very well have gone down in the rest of the world too, but as far as I know there's no statistical material available to support this. After the wars, the rates went up again, but not as quickly and not all the way up to pre-war levels. Similar studies have been carried out in the wake of smaller disasters and they have reached similar, although not identical, results.

Wars and other disasters seem to somehow have a positive effect on depressions, at least non-genetic ones. Why is this? Is it because depressed people suddenly know that they aren't alone in their suffering? "We're all in this together"? Or is it because their own problems suddenly seem petty in comparison to what other people must go through? Or do they feel that they suddenly have a cause to fight for? Or maybe people simply get more dependent on each other and hesitate to bail out for that reason? Perhaps it's a combination of all of it or something completely different. I'm very interested in hearing theories about this.

I've experienced this to a small degree myself. When I heard that the coronavirus had come to my country, I didn't feel scared, only oddly relaxed. I know that the coronavirus isn't that dangerous, although it certainly might disrupt societal functions, but it made me think of what the situation might be like when the great pandemics eventually start spreading. To be blunt, I obviously don't want people to suffer, but something in my subconscious mind wants disaster to strike. I assume there are others here who know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: azucaramargo and Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
I have also heard that suicide rates go down during wars, but I seem to remember that they go up in the period that follows.

I agree with you, it has probably something to do with man's natural inclination towards solidarity with fellow humans. When grand scale tragedies occur, it tends to give people a sense of their fragility and it makes them feel the need for togetherness more acutely. Suicide fits badly in this context, as it is anything but a social act.

I wonder if what you said ties in with the observation that suicide rates are lower in Third World Countries? Of course, lower rates may be due to suicides not being reported or being inaccurately classified as murder, or death by natural causes. But, I don't think that is the explanation. My guess is it has something to do with social cohesion.

Reactions: Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I have also heard that suicide rates go down during wars, but I seem to remember that they go up in the period that follows.

Yes, they do go up, but not as quickly and not all the way up pre-war levels. When it comes to smaller disasters, there are "suicide surges" when some time has passed after the end of the disaster.

I agree with you, it has probably something to do with man's natural inclination towards solidarity with fellow humans. When grand scale tragedies occur, it tends to give people a sense of their fragility and it makes them feel the need for togetherness more acutely. Suicide fits badly in this context, as it is anything but a social act.

It makes sense that everyone, including depressed people, feel more fragile in times of war and disaster and seek other people's company and support.

I wonder if what you said ties in with the observation that suicide rates are lower in Third World Countries? Of course, lower rates may be due to suicides not being reported or being inaccurately classified as murder, or death by natural causes. But, I don't think that is the explanation. My guess is it has something to do with social cohesion.

I didn't know that suicide rates are lower in Third World countries. It feels as if I should have known that. I assume it's due to cultural differences. In many parts of Africa, suciide is taboo, whereas there seems to be a bigger tolerance in many parts of Asia.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
You wanna hear another curious fact? I just realized our avatars are mirror images - they the same colour palette and the same play on light vs dark.

Let's just congratulate each other on our grate taste, and humbly conclude that great minds do indeed think alike.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
You wanna hear another curious fact? I just realized our avatars are mirror images - they the same colour palette and the same play on light vs dark.

Let's just congratulate each other on our grate taste, and humbly conclude that great minds do indeed think alike.

Indeed! I guess that makes us forum siblings or something.

Reactions: Epsilon0