FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It never makes much sense to me to view death as being such a negative thing and that is the way that death is so commonly viewed in this society, as life is seen as something to be prolonged at all costs and there is so much stigma, sadness and denial associated with death when in fact it's the most normal and expected thing ever. Those who die are to be envied and I believe that to voluntarily exit is something admirable. Death could never be a negative thing as it's all that we are destined for, it's our inevitable fate and existence is just a meaningless cycle of suffering that only exists as a consequence of evolution. Death only has stigma associated with it, as people delude themselves into glorifying something so useless as life that would had been better off never existing at all.

Life serves no function other than to be a way for existing beings to experience unnecessary torment, just to deteriorate and die. The only thing that could ever be positive about any of this, is that someday this will all end and be forgotten about and it will be like we never existed at all, as we likely won't even exist in the memories of those that continue to exist here.

Viewing death as being sad is irrational as the person who has died is unable to suffer in any way as to die removes the true cause of all problems in the first place which is life itself, and as long as someone exists they have the potential to suffer to such unimaginable extents and to die removes that possibility which is why to die is ideal and is why choosing to voluntarily exit could never be wrong. At least to me, the less years spent in this world the better and I always envy those the most who managed to die at a very young age, I wish that it was me.

But it's insane to me how human beings still do everything to avoid death, they want to force others to suffer and remove suicide methods, all the emphasis is placed on something so awful and burdensome as continuing to exist instead. But it's like they forget that the only point of life is to die and there is no escaping that. Seeing suicide as being worse than suffering is such a disturbing view to me, it makes no sense, and the world that we exist in would be a much more compassionate place if to voluntarily exit was finally seen as being a positive thing and then we could just peacefully exit without having to struggle in finding ways to die.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: ARW3N, yive, DaatiSimi and 10 others
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
At the very least people with terminal illnesses should have access to a peaceful death, but most countries won't even offer that. It's such a backward world. I agree. Suicide should be seen as a logical and accepted way for people who are in great suffering. Society needs to break the taboo and open up more about it. Death is inevitable anyway. There is no point in prolonging the suffering. Although, it seems to be a world that is built on suffering and hardship.

• Hugs
Reactions: Readytogo246, DaatiSimi and Rational man
Fulminare

Fulminare

Read Thomas Szasz!
Feb 20, 2022
I agree with you. But I can't blame people for it - their mortality is used against them on a daily basis. They're reminded of aging, the last cycles of life, etc. in ads, the news and so on. Fear is a powerful emotion and society likes to use that against us to make us work and essentially become slaves.

I recommend reading the book "The Denial of Death" by Ernest Becker, it goes into SI a lot. It explains when this fear of death sets in and why.

When it comes to the right to die, I'd like to believe that many people would agree with the general notion. I've had so many debates about it - me and my debate partners usually ended up agreeing with each other. But I doubt people in higher ranks would ever understand. In order to understand AS and why it's necessary, you have to go through your fair share of suffering.

• Aww..
  • Informative
Reactions: nifii, Jarni, Rational man and 2 others
Rainy_days

Rainy_days

Experienced
Dec 21, 2022
It's understandable for people who have great fondness for and attachment to those around them. Being separated possibly forever is certainly a negative prospect in that light. I think fear of death is pretty universal too, even animals seem to. But yeah I agree it's wrong to coerce people to live who don't wish to.

• Aww..
Reactions: Rational man
HumansAreHell

HumansAreHell

Aug 31, 2022
I agree I have always found this baffling too. Not all cultures have had the same views though, the Hawaiians for example actually celebrate a persons death. They accept it as the natural order of things and will throw parties to celebrate the person not having to suffer anymore.

I understand not wanting people you love to die as selfish as it is. I've been through 4 suicides and a plenty of other deaths. I often still wish they were here with me, but I also recognize that that's just my selfish emotions. They made there choices and I never would have stopped them because I'm also happy to know that they don't have to suffer anymore.

A lot of things feel very backwards in this world but I think @Fulminare is correct that a lot of this is learned behavior that society does push onto us on a daily basis. It truly is a sad and I agree that if suicide was more widely excepted the world would be a much more compassionate place. I just don't see how it can get to that point since people usually have a hard time listening to things that challenge those same world views that are shoved down there throats every day.

• Aww..
Reactions: DaatiSimi, pthnrdnojvsc, Fulminare and 2 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I agree with you to an extent. We do definitely have a very odd relationship with something that is inevitable for all of us.

Still, I can't help but wonder if you have ever personally experienced grief or loss, reading your posts. Of course- it's none of my business. You can say so and I won't be offended. I'm just curious I guess.

Rationally speaking of course you're right- we OUGHT to feel a sense of release for people who have gone. (Especially for those who were suffering in their life.) This doesn't work quite so well for someone who genuinely loves life and has it cut short at a young age though.

Grief is also primarily selfish. You are grieving the part of you that died with them when they went. It's for the main part extremely selfish but I suppose a couple in love or a young mother who gets their life cut short potentially missed out on a lot of happy memories, as well as some suffering along the way.

Given the choice, I suspect my Mum for instance would have prefered to survive and see me grow up. She fought as hard as she could to do so but couldn't. I suspect- even if it had meant more suffering later on, she would have made that choice. All she ever wanted was to have children. One of the last things she said was along the lines that she had finally got what she'd always hoped for and now it was being taken away (or rather- she was...) I can assure you that neither her or my Dad had such a rational way of looking at it all at that stage.

Of course, it very likely makes no odds to her now (if she doesn't exist at all.) It's only those left behind that it continues to affect. People to this day still grieve for her (39 years later.) Yes that's selfish and yes, that's illogical and pointless but there we go- we're emotional creatures at the end of the day.

I don't blame you for holding your views. I think they are in essence- very logical. They just don't seem to encompass or acknowledge other people's emotions- which sadly we have been bridled with- alongside our abilities to reason.

I guess what I'm saying is- reason will get me so far but I can't help but grieve for the ones who I have loved but now lost. I can't help but empathise with people who similarly grieve for the people they have loved and lost. For us at least, our loved ones deaths weren't always something to be celebrated.

However, I definitely agree that illness and pain are just appaling- and in that context- death is the blissful release. One that ought to be available to all that want it in that situation.
I agree I have always found this baffling too. Not all cultures have had the same views though, the Hawaiians for example actually celebrate a persons death. They accept it as the natural order of things and will throw parties to celebrate the person not having to suffer anymore.
I've wondered about this too. Still I expect it is because cultures like these have a very strong belief in the afterlife (and that it will be much better than this world.)

I think the problem with this day and age is that there's enough doubt to mean that a lot of us just really aren't sure what happens to us after this. Death can be scary to some people because it is potentially a door into the unknown.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Pluto, Jarni, Rational man and 2 others
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
I'm not a fan of Dr.Phil but apparently there's an upcoming episode about the right to die, could be interesting.

• Aww..
Reactions: Rational man
W

Wunderkind

❤️Travel by bus
Nov 25, 2022
Your thread gives me the confidence I need right now.

Mashedout

Mashedout

Student
Nov 25, 2020
How many times do we have to go through this? No one knows what happens when you die. It could be much worse than this, that's all the reason you need to view death negatively. At least you know what is happening here. The imagination can create far worse forced participation scenarios...

U

Unending

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2022
I'm not a fan of Dr.Phil but apparently there's an upcoming episode about the right to die, could be interesting.
Wow, I bet I'll hear my mom watching it in the other room when it comes on.
How many times do we have to go through this? No one knows what happens when you die. It could be much worse than this, that's all the reason you need to view death negatively. At least you know what is happening here. The imagination can create far worse forced participation scenarios...
I see where you're coming from but it is an inevitable part of life that quite literally not a single living being has ever managed to escape. I haven't researched extensively and am not aware of concrete evidence that says our brain just turns off and that is it but I do think that it's reasonable to assume that this is what's most likely to happen. Nonetheless, I don't like the idea of suffering torment for decades just because I'm not aware of 100% proof that the alternative is better. The only suggestions that being dead could be worse seem to be birthed from religion which I obviously have my opinions on as well.

Last edited:
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
No matter what people say on here, I will never fear the possibility of some kind of afterlife or anything like that. All those types of theories are all fictional to me. This world is the true hell and nightmare and the thought of being gone from it will always comfort me.
Still, I can't help but wonder if you have ever personally experienced grief or loss, reading your posts. Of course- it's none of my business. You can say so and I won't be offended. I'm just curious I guess
Not really, I mean pets have died from old age and I saw death as being a relief then and family members died when I was very young, but that's it. I don't really know many people in the first place anyway, but in my case I absolutely despise existing in every single way possible, so it would be impossible for me not to view death as being a positive thing even if I had experienced losing someone, I would envy them.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep and Fulminare
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
If there were any species that collectively romanticized suicidal death, they wouldn't have lasted very long. The stigma against it is an extension of our own built-in survival instinct, because a part of that is the desire to see our species to continue to grow and thrive. What you see as "forcing others to suffer" is what others see as not allowing someone to "waste their potential." They can't fathom the idea that anyone would be opposed to living, it goes against everything they believe being human is. It's why some staunchly believe anyone who claims they want to die simply must be faking it.

It's already out.

Reactions: HumansAreHell