M

myusername

Apr 19, 2023
CO in a tent is my preferred method. I've read about it but I'm confused now. What's the best option? Letting the CO build up in the tent (for 30 minutes is enough?) and then entering? Or entering at the same time as I put the charcoal in the tent? I will be taking clonazepam in order to not be so nervous.

I'm very scared of SI and symptoms since I tried overdosing (clonazepam with alprazolam) in the past and got SI from the symptoms, got medical help and ended up being admitted in the psych guard.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: michaellionel and ihateearth
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
The method is to light the charcoals outside the tent, let them burn until they are no longer smoking and all are glowing red hot, and then moving them into the tent, where more time will be allowed to pass in order to let the CO build up.

How much charcoal are you planning to use? What type of charcoal? What type of tent? How large is the tent?Are you going to do any sealing to the seams and any mesh vents on the tent? Does the tent have an attached groundsheet? What are you going to place the hot containers of charcoal on inside the tent? Most ppl start charcoals in a chimney starter and then transfer the hot charcoals to metal pails after they are all burning red hot. Are you doing it that way?

• Informative
Reactions: Tommen Baratheon, myusername, ihateearth and 1 other person
J

J&L383

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
All good questions. Basically you want to do all you can to keep any air from coming in, and you don't want a fire! Ideally it would be good to test the concentration, but consumer CO detectors only are designed to test small amounts (although if it maxes out quickly you're probably in the ballpark), and to test the amounts you're looking for when you require a more expensive CO testing apparatus.

Reactions: myusername
M

myusername

Apr 19, 2023
The method is to light the charcoals outside the tent, let them burn until they are no longer smoking and all are glowing red hot, and then moving them into the tent, where more time will be allowed to pass in order to let the CO build up.

How much charcoal are you planning to use? What type of charcoal? What type of tent? How large is the tent?Are you going to do any sealing to the seams and any mesh vents on the tent? Does the tent have an attached groundsheet? What are you going to place the hot containers of charcoal on inside the tent? Most ppl start charcoals in a chimney starter and then transfer the hot charcoals to metal pails after they are all burning red hot. Are you doing it that way?
It's a 2 person tent that I haven't bought yet, the measurements are 115cm X 220cm X 95cm. I've seen the minimum amount of charcoal is .135kg per cubic meter, I will have to do the maths and add a bit more just in case. I will have to seal the tent and put a waterproof cover on it because it's not a waterproof tent. The groundsheet is attached yes. I don't know about the containers I'll be using yet.

I'll be at a public camp so if there's people I'll have to use the grills they have there and light the charcoal and cook and then use that same charcoal (bump charcoal) I think. I mean in order for no one to be very suspicious. Which I think I'll be anyway, so I'll have to put an act on how much I'm enjoying camping.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
It's a 2 person tent that I haven't bought yet, the measurements are 115cm X 220cm X 95cm. I've seen the minimum amount of charcoal is .135kg per cubic meter, I will have to do the maths and add a bit more just in case. I will have to seal the tent and put a waterproof cover on it because it's not a waterproof tent. The groundsheet is attached yes. I don't know about the containers I'll be using yet.

I'll be at a public camp so if there's people I'll have to use the grills they have there and light the charcoal and cook and then use that same charcoal (bump charcoal) I think. I mean in order for no one to be very suspicious. Which I think I'll be anyway, so I'll have to put an act on how much I'm enjoying camping.
Don't just use a "bit" more. Use a LOT more. You can't use too much, but you can certainly use too little. Some have used portable grills, too. They'll work. You definitely need to generate CO at a much faster rate than you are losing it through the tent.

Reactions: schrei_nach_liebe, Alo the obvi alien and myusername
M

myusername

Apr 19, 2023
Don't just use a "bit" more. Use a LOT more. You can't use too much, but you can certainly use too little. Some have used portable grills, too. They'll work. You definitely need to generate CO at a much faster rate than you are losing it through the tent.
Thank you for your advices.

I'm scared that if I use too much charcoal it could make me choke or something if I decide entering at the same time with the charcoal, I mean because of the small dust particles from the burning. I guess I will have no choice but to let it build up in the tent while I wait outside and then entering while holding my breath.

I was hoping I could just "relax" while I wait for it to build up while me being in the tent and die slowly. It's not my preference to go out of consciousness suddenly 😔

Neowise

Neowise

We fly and fly but never reach our destination.
Oct 7, 2020
I've seen the minimum amount of charcoal is .135kg per cubic meter
I don't quite get that one... a tent of 115cm X 220cm X 95cm has a volume of 2,4 m³. If you need 135 kg of coal per cubic meter you would need... 324,5 kg of char coal to kill yourself?! That's enough for a steam locomotive to move 21 km.

M

myusername

Apr 19, 2023
I don't quite get that one... a tent of 115cm X 220cm X 95cm has a volume of 2,4 m³. If you need 135 kg of coal per cubic meter you would need... 324,5 kg of char coal to kill yourself?! That's enough for a steam locomotive to move 21 km.
0.135kg, or 135gms
Thanks for letting me know the volume of the tent.

Neowise

Neowise

We fly and fly but never reach our destination.
Oct 7, 2020
0.135kg, or 135gms
Thanks for letting me know the volume of the tent.
Oh, now I see the dot. I thought you placed it by accident. In my language it's not possible to leave the 0 out. My bad.

Reactions: myusername
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
0.135 kg is an absolute MINIMUM amount, btw. Use at least 3 times the calculated amount for "safety".

• Informative
Reactions: Tommen Baratheon and myusername
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I'm scared that if I use too much charcoal it could make me choke or something if I decide entering at the same time with the charcoal,
You will choke if you put the charcoals in the tent while they're still smoking, REGARDLESS of how much charcoal you use.

• Informative
Reactions: Tommen Baratheon and myusername
Alo the obvi alien

Alo the obvi alien

Planner
Jun 20, 2023
Do you think a 12lbs bag is enough or should I get two?

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
Definitely let it build up, you'll want to decrease the amount of time you're conscious

Tommen Baratheon

Tommen Baratheon

1+1=3
Dec 26, 2023
CO in a tent is my preferred method. I've read about it but I'm confused now. What's the best option? Letting the CO build up in the tent (for 30 minutes is enough?) and then entering? Or entering at the same time as I put the charcoal in the tent? I will be taking clonazepam in order to not be so nervous.

I'm very scared of SI and symptoms since I tried overdosing (clonazepam with alprazolam) in the past and got SI from the symptoms, got medical help and ended up being admitted in the psych guard.

Thanks in advance.
You can use a CO analyzer (I've learned here this is not the same as a CO meter). If it reaches 12.500 ppm you will loose consciousness immediately and die within 1 or 3 minutes.

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
You can use a CO analyzer (I've learned here this is not the same as a CO meter). If it reaches 12.500 ppm you will loose consciousness immediately and die within 1 or 3 minutes.
Losing consciousness is almost immediate given all you're breathing is CO, unlikely the case when you open a door and let a whole bunch of CO out and a whole bunch of N2 and O2 in. If you breathe in only CO, you won't die exactly by 1-2 minutes but you could get to a state where you're not able to be resuscitated so death would be guaranteed. This is because hemoglobin has a higher affinity to CO than to O2 and you won't be able to displace enough CO to be resuscitated again. In reality, all other things being equal, the brain will continue to function (not necessarily consciously) for around 8 minutes most of the time.