Nikitatos

Nikitatos

Wizard
Apr 10, 2024
I don't know anything about these. If someone were going to an airbnb or a hotel, what would be the best way to locate and disable CO detectors? Is it as simple as removing the battery or are they wired into the house?

Is there a way to block them so that they don't detect CO? Maybe put some saran wrap over them or something? Is it possible that a homeowner could be monitoring these remotely.........so that if they were disabled that they would be alerted?

Any help appreciated.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
The CO detectors are probably a combo with the smoke detectors. Not necessarily, but probably. In all likelihood they are probably wired into the electric. I don't know if you could block them off well enough or not. The entire detector, not just the vent inlets, would have to be blocked off. Whether you could do that with plastic and tape, I don't know. It would have to be perfect blocking off since you're dealing with a gas that can find its way through even the smallest of entry points of the plastic you're using to try and seal it. They're possibly hooked up to remote callers that call the fire department automatically in addition to some alert on the premises. I think you'd need better than Saran wrap. Honestly, it sounds difficult to do, if not impossible. It's a risk. How would you know you sealed it well enough?

Nikitatos

Nikitatos

Wizard
Apr 10, 2024
The CO detectors are probably a combo with the smoke detectors. Not necessarily, but probably. In all likelihood they are probably wired into the electric. I don't know if you could block them off well enough or not. The entire detector, not just the vent inlets, would have to be blocked off. Whether you could do that with plastic and tape, I don't know. It would have to be perfect blocking off since you're dealing with a gas that can find its way through even the smallest of entry points of the plastic you're using to try and seal it. They're possibly hooked up to remote callers that call the fire department automatically in addition to some alert on the premises. I think you'd need better than Saran wrap. Honestly, it sounds difficult to do, if not impossible. It's a risk. How would you know you sealed it well enough?
I don't know. I'm thinking that most houses have one detector per level of the house. So, if CO was done in a small bedroom without a detector and that room was sealed, there wouldn't be much CO escaping the room.
Then, if the CO detector has an additional layer?

I guess I could just my car if worst came to worst. What needs to be sealed in a car?

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I don't know. I'm thinking that most houses have one detector per level of the house. So, if CO was done in a small bedroom without a detector and that room was sealed, there wouldn't be much CO escaping the room.
Then, if the CO detector has an additional layer?

I guess I could just my car if worst came to worst. What needs to be sealed in a car?
Not sure what legal requirements are for Airbnb's, but hotels/motels are going to require them in each room. Now, CO detectors *may* not be required if the place is all electric. Idk.

You can only seal so much in a car. Vents. Maybe a little under doors.

Reactions: Nikitatos
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Other question: Do u intend to burn the charcoal inside/balcony? That can make people already suspicious.