SuicidalSymphonies

SuicidalSymphonies

I think I'll take a dirt nap.
Oct 13, 2019
Oh, this is so tragic.... Why I'll never call a hotline or text one. They lie and say it's confidential but it's not...

• Love
Reactions: Haku, SadSack, Emerald and 2 others
Rachel74

Rachel74

Enlightened
Sep 7, 2019
Oh, this is so tragic.... Why I'll never call a hotline or text one. They lie and say it's confidential but it's not...
I felt exactly the same. Called the Samaritans once and had to hang up! Pointless x

• Love
Reactions: Haku, Emerald, Sunset764 and 1 other person
L

LonelyLight

Warlock
May 31, 2019
Poor girl. Exactly why I don't reach out to hotlines either. I'd be terrified they will trace my call

• Love
Reactions: Haku, SadSack, Sunset764 and 1 other person
Rachel74

Rachel74

Enlightened
Sep 7, 2019
I actually didn't think childline existed anymore x

Reactions: Sunset764 and LonelyLight
Stan

Stan

Factoid Hunter
Aug 29, 2019
Excellent job Childline on starting to close an avenue that kids in a crisis situation, that could have been talked down from. Disgusting!

Reactions: Haku and LonelyLight
L

LonelyLight

Warlock
May 31, 2019
It's silly blaming childline. Sells papers, sure, but is silly. I wish people would quit this compulsion to find "blame" for suicide. It's fucking pathetic using someone's death as a headline grabber with the token victim, token perpetrator etc. No one kills themselves because of one easily digestible reason.

The Dm doesn't give a fuck about that girl.
It's not a matter of blame game. If children think for a second that they are at risk of their parents (who may be abusive) finding out that they have reached out to a helpline, they wont bother.
If they are secure in the fact its 100percent confidential, well maybe then children will actually reach out and maybe receive some help over the phone, even just someone to vent to is helpful.

Reactions: LittleJem, Haku, Sunset764 and 2 others
Stan

Stan

Factoid Hunter
Aug 29, 2019
It's not a matter of blame game. If children think for a second that they are at risk of their parents (who may be abusive) finding out that they have reached out to a helpline, they wont bother.
If they are secure in the fact its 100percent confidential, well maybe then children will actually reach out and maybe receive some help over the phone, even just someone to vent to is helpful.
Absolutely agree. If it's main reason to call is through the confidentiality then it has failed. With the police turning up at the door and a coroner recording these facts legally, it's not just a headline grabber, it is fact!

Reactions: Haku, Kira, DoNotLet2 and 1 other person
DoNotLet2

DoNotLet2

Wizard
Oct 14, 2019
I once typed an email but the person at the second side was unempathetic so never more.
Well this is a very sad story I can only light the internet grave candle [*].

Reactions: Shakespear's Brother
MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
Girl killed herself after telling mother ChildLine 'betrayed' her

https://mol.im/a/7583757
I dont understand why the mum said 'no one told her that she was a suicide risk'- despite the fact that the police had turned up in the middle of the night-due to the nature of what was said in the childline call-that doesnt make sense.

Also say for the sake of an arguement that she was was on the call to the Childline operator- expressed suicidal thoughts - then cut the phone call short suddenly- the Childline operator does nothing &say she killed herself that same night - wouldnt everyone be pointing blame at the operator for not alerting someone? the Operator was not to know they she wasnt literally just about to do it - when she cut the call off- and as a childline operator-I think that is part of her job-if somone is deemed an immediate risk-which it sounded like she could be ?! not saying I agree either way, but just seeing the other side of the arguement.

Also as someone commented under the article: Every single significant case review held after the sudden death of someone open to services criticizes services for NOT sharing information. This is a no win situation

Last edited:
Reactions: Haku and LonelyLight
Stan

Stan

Factoid Hunter
Aug 29, 2019
I believe there are a number of gaps in the story reported. A policeman entering a house at 1:30am with no explanation to the parents! I doubt that very much.

The most ironic thing is at the end of the article, the following is printed in bold:

For confidential support call the Samaritans on ..........

Reactions: Haku, DoNotLet2, SadSack and 4 others
MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Visionary
Sep 9, 2019
I believe there are a number of gaps in the story reported. A policeman entering a house at 1:30am with no explanation to the parents! I doubt that very much.

The most ironic thing is at the end of the article, the following is printed in bold:

For confidential support call the Samaritans on ..........

Yeah-that makes no sense.

also Samaritans are there for a chat if yr feeling low and/or lonely...but if suicidal, id recommed only calling if u feel you are in danger of being impulsive & you DO want someone to intervene in that case, after all some people do want to be 'kept safe' from themselves sometimes:

The charity's new rules on confidentiality instruct volunteers to warn callers their details may be passed to the emergency services or social workers if they are under 13 or a "vulnerable" teenager or adult deemed to be at significant risk.
The Samaritans say the changes, introduced by its governing body last month, are a clarification of its existing rules outlining when confidentiality can be breached and were introduced to keep it in line with "good practice in safeguarding children and vulnerable adults".

DoNotLet2

DoNotLet2

Wizard
Oct 14, 2019
Well as you say so it really doesn't make much sense… But idk.

Reactions: MeltingHeart
Rachel74

Rachel74

Enlightened
Sep 7, 2019
See this is when I get mad as the parents again want someone to blame so they are blaming childline.

Reactions: MeltingHeart
DoNotLet2

DoNotLet2

Wizard
Oct 14, 2019
But blaming won't make child alive again so it's pointless.

Reactions: Rachel74
BPD_LE

BPD_LE

The Queen of Meme
Aug 11, 2019
I had a Childline counsellor for 3 years. Her name was Kay. Every Friday night I would leave my house and walk into town to a phone box and talk to her for about an hour, rain or shine. It only ended because I turned 18 and even then it was gradually phased out. They are amazing. We all know about confidentiality rules regarding suicidal thoughts and behaviour. They did the right thing. That's all I'm going to say.

• Wow
Reactions: LittleJem, MeltingHeart, Rachel74 and 1 other person