F

Funkbunny

Student
Nov 18, 2018
I'm 45. When I was 4, my dad went to prison. My mum caught me with the end of his shotgun in my mouth. I couldn't reach the trigger. I told her I wanted to die. From that young age, suicide thoughts have been part of my life.

In my early 20's I had a friend that committed suicide by laying in front of a train. I thought that was selfish, stupid, and that nothing couldn't have been sorted by talking things through.

Fast forward a few years, and having experienced other types of death I became a samaritan (UK suicide helpline). The training helped me understand suicide is an individual's right to choose. A big shift in thinking, kind of!

I remember my first shift, an overnighter. Guy in a car, 2 kids with him, preparing to drive off a bridge. I did wrong, I asked him not to do it, the line went dead. Never knew what happened to them. He taught me a lot though.

After a childhood friend was murdered by her father, the murder trial and my subsequent breakdown, I eventually found myself going back to study. 4 years layer, I had an honours degree in counselling. Ironic, I know!

These days my views are very different. Ending this physical reality is an individual's right. Society is so bloody caught up with prolonging life by any means... but for whose benefit? Why? There needs to be real honesty around freely talking about suicide without the threat of being slammed in a psch ward, belittled, humiliated etc.

For the last 3 years, and for as long as is needed, I am carer for my mum. She has a degenerative disease that strips away a little more of her every day. Palliative care = medication to subdue the outward appearance of death. Medication to subdue coughing, lungs will fill with fluid and we all know what happens then. Medication to subdue 'psychotic episodes'. Medication 'stop pain' etc etc. But no right to end it all peacefully and swiftly, if that was her choice. It's sick.

Yes, I have extreme anxiety. Yes, I'm on so called antidepressants, but I honestly think I see things more clearly, for what they are, than most! What are your thoughts on suicide? Have they changed over time? Just interested to know.

Reactions: ForestLove, Pulpit2018, Dog Food and 9 others
K

KiraLittleOwl

Lost in transition
Jan 25, 2019
I didn't think much about it when I was younger, it never was on my mind maybe because I have nice childhood and boring but easy life in early adulthood.
But I never subscribed to the idea that suicide is selfish or cowardly act, I knew it was very hard and scary thing to do so it didn't make sense to me.
I thought it was a very personal thing and people have no right to judge.
So my view didn't change I guess...

Reactions: ForestLove, Redt2go, Funkbunny and 6 others
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
I have wanted to die since I was a teenager. Sometimes more sometimes less.
Now it is all I really want. I hate it here so much. :angry:
I just wish I could step inside a machine and it would be all over.

Reactions: ForestLove, Funkbunny, Redt2go and 3 others
ShadowOfTheDay

ShadowOfTheDay

Hungry Ghost
Feb 14, 2019
Since I was a young teenager, I had a vague longing for death--just never felt comfortable in my own skin. However, i decided it was selfish to kms, and especially in a gruesome way; I could never understand how some one could be so callused as to jump in front of train, for instance. Now I get it though. Now I know how it feels to be truly desperate.

Reactions: ForestLove, Sickman75, Funkbunny and 6 others
T

TheREALDisgustingMe

Jul 21, 2018
Since I was a young teenager, I had a vague longing for death--just never felt comfortable in my own skin. However, i decided it was selfish to kms, and especially in a gruesome way; I could never understand how some one could be so callused as to jump in front of train, for instance. Now I get it though. Now I know how it feels to be truly desperate.
Sometimes I feel that it's not just out of desperation, but as yet another, final little piece of "F you" to society for not advocating the people's right to end their own life cleanly and painlessly, whenever they wish and after going through tons of suffering for so long.

Reactions: ForestLove, Redt2go, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
O

Onomotopoeia

Experienced
Feb 8, 2019
I always felt like a person should have the right and legal means to end their life if they choose. I thought this when I was kid and that has not really changed. I'm 36 now and while I still feel that way I have more reservations than I did as a child. Finding this site has kind of cemented that which is a little ironic.

I believe the choice to end your life can only be made as an adult, in fact I would even say over 26 at the very earliest. There is strong evidence development continues to about that age (and perhaps even for your life span) but life before 26 can change often, and you change as a person, drastically in many cases.

So I truly do not believe you can decide while your brain is still under rapid development that your life is not worth living. I'll probably get some hate for that on a site that allows/allowed minors and I do not mean to diminish anyones struggles I do not know them and surely cannot judge. Still, I am now a firm believer your life does not really become your own until at least 26, and that is also a popular age where brain development stops rapidly changing you. So it sounds like a good age where you could start to make that decision

Reactions: Marawa, ForestLove, Funkbunny and 1 other person
reveriewong

reveriewong

Feb 22, 2019
Yes, my thoughts on suicide have changed.

Every time I have yearned to die, or when I was obsessed with suicide and suicidal ideation, I was not well. I knew that I was not well. But I wanted so much for my suffering to end. I couldn't see any way out. Throughout these periods of my life, suicide was on the forefront of my mind.

I wrote suicide notes, and made the plans. I never ended up trying.

Years later, I'm glad that I'm still alive. I'm extremely thankful.. There's been a lot of heartbreak and pain, and I'm quite jaded. But I'm glad to be alive, and I see things much more accurately than I did when I was suicidal. Today, I wouldn't trust my former suicidal self to make important life decisions. Although there's a lot of bad, I don't see the world as a terrible place... because there is a lot of good out there, and a whole lot of people who are trying to be good and do good. Yes, life is hard, and there's always room for improvement. I strive to do my part to make my life better, and the lives of those around me.

That's not to say that I will never feel suicidal again. It's possible, but I'll do whatever I can not to get to that point. Because once you're there, it's hard to get out of it--but so worthwhile, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: xb243 and Funkbunny
C

Cookiedough8956

Wowzers
Feb 24, 2019
Hey I'm really happy to hear that :)
And it takes great strength and courage to do what you're doing.
Stay strong!

• Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
ForestLove

ForestLove

Jus wanna be a tree
Oct 16, 2018
All my life, I always wonder why pple want to commit suicide. And I feel sad when they did it. I always believe that every problem has a solution.

After I made an attempt last Dec, my whole perspective changed. I realised I am not afraid of death and I welcome it with open arms. And suicide is not a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

I realised a lot of pple are afraid to die. And trying their best to prolong it. What's the point of living long when you are suffering, in pain or having a poor quality of life?

I feel so depressed and suicidal now. :eh:

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lifetimepunishment and Redt2go