C

clingon420

May 31, 2023
already homeless. Partner has a job though and we scrape by. The car broke down, however, and that is kinda like, our home base when we can't stay anywhere else. We have no idea how much it will cost to repair or what to do or really if we can even have it towed considering how far our mechanic is. This is kinda, well, terrible. We can put the car repair on the card, but if it is above a certain amount we might have to pay some out of pocket. I don't quite know.
Basically if it is either too much, or unable to be repaired, we are screwed. I don't want to be homeless without a car again. It sucks. It sucks every time. I got multiple abscesses and injuries and I had my toenail freaking DIE at one point and it had to grow back. Homeless with a car is so much better than homeless without a car. I have stuck to this whole being alive thing so far, if the car is junked, is it still worth it? Or is that enough to ctb? We have like, very little hope that things will get better in the future if I'm being honest. The economy is terrible. We are in a recession we are not allowed to even discuss. Constant government overreach is making it harder to survive as a homeless couple.
I'm trying to do anything for extra money, like surveys and whatnot. I can't find a job in this god awful job market.
Like, is continuing to cling on a good idea? If the car is able to be repaired, then maybe, but I don't exactly have high hopes of that. I have talked to my dad and I'm wondering if he has any old cars he hasn't junked yet. He sometimes has one in running condition. But it would obviously need work. I don't think he kept the SUV I kinda wanted and test drove a bit a couple years ago.
Anyone else here in a similar boat? Idk. I don't know if this is the right kind of forum for venting specifically about how car trouble compounding with other shit is making me want to not exist, but I don't exactly feel safe anywhere else.
Fuck, we need a new car. Our entire exhaust system just rotted out there is no coming back from that. I just don't want to have to tell my partner that. Then we eat $250 or however much to have it towed, then the mechanic tells us it can't be fixed. Idk maybe it can fingers crossed. I am just not in the mood to play a fun game of "find a reasonably priced used vehicle that is at least running in under 10 days." because we are at a motel and we are almost out of time here so we can't exactly have this on us.
I just kinda wanna run from shit because at this point it seems our only option is to just, ditch most of our possessions and camp out in the woods overnight then check in again but can he keep his job without a car?
Christ. Idk I'm just ranting at this point. I already called the guys and got a quote on the tow and we did some research on how much just one part of the repairs needed on the car might cost. If the car isn't completely fucked, and can at least run for another year, we are good. If not, shit. I can't exactly handle this.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and The anhedonic one
The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
I'm homeless and have been living in my car for 10 months now.
I can do most repair jobs myself and always carry the tools I need with me.
Yet, my biggest fear is having a major mechanical breakdown such as needing a new clutch, or turbo failure. I couldn't possibly afford to do the repair myself or afford the parts.
If my car has something like this happen then I will be living on the streets soon enough and that terrifies me.
I still carry a high quality tent and some essential camping gear just in case the worst happens.
I also hate the fact that even most cheap hotels are way overpriced.
I'm sick to death of just surviving instead of living.
I'm so sorry you are going through this. It really is an exhausting test of your emotional resources.
I hope that your car can be repaired and isn't too costly to fix.

C

clingon420

May 31, 2023
I'm homeless and have been living in my car for 10 months now.
I can do most repair jobs myself and always carry the tools I need with me.
Yet, my biggest fear is having a major mechanical breakdown such as needing a new clutch, or turbo failure. I couldn't possibly afford to do the repair myself or afford the parts.
If my car has something like this happen then I will be living on the streets soon enough and that terrifies me.
I still carry a high quality tent and some essential camping gear just in case the worst happens.
I also hate the fact that even most cheap hotels are way overpriced.
I'm sick to death of just surviving instead of living.
I'm so sorry you are going through this. It really is an exhausting test of your emotional resources.
I hope that your car can be repaired and isn't too costly to fix.
It just depends totally upon what we can put on the car care card and getting it to our preferred mechanic. If we can afford getting the car on a flatbed, we can get it looked at. My fear is the undercarriage being totally rusted out.
I feel like the homeless among us need to like, find each other, make a convoy. Something just for strength in numbers.

• Hugs
Reactions: The anhedonic one
The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
It just depends totally upon what we can put on the car care card and getting it to our preferred mechanic. If we can afford getting the car on a flatbed, we can get it looked at. My fear is the undercarriage being totally rusted out.
I feel like the homeless among us need to like, find each other, make a convoy. Something just for strength in numbers.
There is already a huge vehicle homeless encampment in Bristol here in the UK. Both cars and vans are also becoming very popular for homeless people to live in all over UK. Most of this goes unnoticed by the general public because you have to be very careful about where you park up and have to keep a low profile.
I know it is also becoming something of a necessity in the USA for people to resort to having to live in vehicles.
I'm pretty certain that this kind of thing will increase greatly as time goes on.
I'm hoping the best for you as regards fixing your vehicle. But at the end of the day, we shouldn't have to live like this.

Reactions: clingon420
G

Gonnerr

Enlightened
Mar 12, 2023
I don't know which country you are in but in some of them you can sell blood and plasma and do paid clinical studies.