complexptsd

complexptsd

Aug 27, 2022
Do any of you have movie/tv recommendations that explore mental illness, suicide, etc?

I really liked "Girl, Interrupted" but I feel like so many movies just portray stereotypes of mental illness and are so maudlin. -_- It's annoying.

Reactions: DefinitelyReady, leavingthesoultrap and J&L383
MidnightDream

MidnightDream

Warlock
Sep 5, 2022
I like Suicide Room. It's an old polish movie, but you can find it pretty easy online with English subtitles. It's a bit cheesy, bit dark, very 2010s, but I love it

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and complexptsd
DaatiSimi

DaatiSimi

Nov 24, 2022
Crazy ex girlfriend it's a must for mental illness.

Bojack Horseman

• Love
Reactions: avoid, StolenLife and didn't-it-rain
š–£“ nadia š–£“

š–£“ nadia š–£“

...member...
Dec 15, 2021
Sharp Objects, Pure, This Way Up, and Fleabag.

Reactions: didn't-it-rain
K

KD6-3.7

Nov 28, 2022
Melancholia; haven't gotten around to finishing the whole movie, but the characterization of depression as being like "walking through a wall of yarn" (or something along those lines) stuck with me.

Reactions: J&L383
Tryingtobe

Tryingtobe

Nov 27, 2022
Wristcutters: A Love Story

Purely for entertainment value and weirdness

Reactions: daley and drugfiend
webawl

webawl

Nov 13, 2022
Harold and Maude

A rom com about a 20 y/o who obsesses about suicide. It's great

Ai-chan

Ai-chan

I deserve nothing but the worst
Oct 16, 2022
If you're into anime then Welcome to the NHK and most of Wonder Egg Priority (skip ep 13, trust me)

Reactions: drugfiend
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
847x1200.jpg

Welcome-to-Marwen-poster-600x950.jpg

Interestingly, they are from the same actor.
//
Curiosament sĆ³n del mateix actor.

eatantz

eatantz

I luv dolls
Nov 4, 2023
My mad fat diary, one of my fav shows ever

J

J&L383

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
Melancholia; haven't gotten around to finishing the whole movie, but the characterization of depression as being like "walking through a wall of yarn" (or something along those lines) stuck with me.
Love that movie. ā™„ļø

drugfiend

drugfiend

drinking plastic jug vodka
Mar 19, 2024
seconding wristcutters: a love story and welcome to the NHK. both masterpieces that i've seen way too many times. a few to add to this old thread:

-daytime drinking (2008), a slow-paced movie that explores social isolation and alcoholism
-birdman or (the unexpected virtue of ignorance) (2014), a movie about an aging actor who tries writing a theatrical production and kinda fails(?)
-brockmire (2017-2020), a show about an alcoholic baseball announcer that was ended way too early, the first two seasons are the best, seasons 3 and 4 are ok

I know there's a million more floating around in my head that i've seen but i just wanted to get some more out there for folks interested. I'm always looking for depressing movie/tv recommendations too.

Last edited:
cait_sith

cait_sith

Brain rotted, often missing word
Apr 8, 2024
My favorite movie about mental illness is Japanese movie "Kotoko" (2011)

DefinitelyReady

DefinitelyReady

*perpetually annoyed*
Mar 14, 2024
Prozac Nation.
Caution:: you'll fall in love with my blue-eyed boyfriendšŸ˜

K

Kavka

Student
Jun 11, 2024
Aftersun!

Apparently it's quite subtle, because a lot of people, who probably never experienced depression or SI themselves, think it's a slow and boring movie about a dad who's going on an ordinary holiday trip with his daughter accompanied by a moody soundtrack. While others, me included, think it did a really good job depicting depression and suicide.

T

thenamingofcats

annihilation anxiety
Apr 19, 2024
Sideways dealt with depression in a very honest way I thought. The theme of ctb for the main character, Miles, runs throughout the film and it becomes stronger towards the end.