SoulWhisperer

SoulWhisperer

Careless Soul « MtF »
Nov 13, 2023
[Posting in off-topic cuz it's not pertaining to a vent/rant on my life situation, just a generic take]
Disclaimer: I'm writing this at 2 AM and it felt like a fever dream, so excuse me if parts of it or the whole posts makes no sense. I've also decided to keep things vague and generic because I didn't wanna get political, but just philosophical.

I feel like in the life of humans what plays a major role into shaping their personalities and actions is their beliefs, ideations and opinions.

If you like something or support an idea, there's a high chance you'll stand for groups that share your same view. However along with that you sort of pledge allegiance or at least display interest and belonging (often) to the cause. Leading to an easy chance of being criticized as a group for things the union of people did even if you played no role in it. (Ex: If you support a group of people, even just influencers, that are seen as controversial by the mass it'll be easy for people to down-look on you in my opinion, even if you did nothing wrong yourself)

After realising this I've decided to pledge loyalty exclusively to myself AND exclusively to what I personally and individually care about. Meaning that I pretty much refuse to publicly affiliate myself (and on an internal identity level too) with groups even if I'm a part of them or share their same views 99% of the time.

I want to be free to support only the individuals I want, without the weigh of needing to be "held accountable" for what people I stand with do without my consent/approval of course. We are individuals and like the name suggests we are unique, and groups are an union of individuals.

It might seem selfish of me to see life this way perhaps (Like going to a party simply to take advantage of what's in it and dipping as soon as something bad happens) but if you inspect the reasoning behind I think it'd feel more logical, even if perhaps selfish-sounding. But isn't it acceptable for one to strive to preserve their reputation and selves from actions of others you stand with on a non-physical and more ideological way?

-----
What's your take on this? Do you agree, resonate or even simply understand my view? I'm curious to hear about your view on beliefs and opinions too if you want.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees, Pluto, lemonbunny and 1 other person
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
This is a very interesting question.

A bit like Erik Erikson's so-called crises, there is a balance between being true to oneself and being a part of a group.

I've always erred strongly towards unlimited intellectual integrity and eschewed conformity. It gave the freedom to agree or disagree with all elements of the groups around me (religious, cultural, political, national, ethnic, economic). I could be eclectic in what I adopt, to change things as I see fit.

But there is a price to pay. I was speaking to a Christian woman recently and I expressed envy at those who can just compromise, fit in and have all the benefits of a community, a congregation, agreed rules for life, a culture, pre-determined dos and don'ts and ultimately a far less solitary existence. While some groups do go off the rails when their members care about belonging rather than being conscious, I can sympathise with the horrors of isolation.

This does not answer the question, but gives a perspective on both extremes of the spectrum.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees and SoulWhisperer
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I've also decided to pledge loyalty exclusively to myself and exclusively to what I personally and individually care about. You have no obligation to other people. I'd totally go to a party to take advantage of what's in it and dip when something bad happens. I don't see anything wrong with that. Anyways, everyone is selfish. There's nothing wrong with being selfish

• Love
Reactions: WhatPowerIs, SoulWhisperer and ijustwishtodie