Status
Not open for further replies.
persuasion

persuasion

Dec 10, 2020
In the suicide sub forum on reddit someone said he will kill himself if Trump gets elected. I told him, that this is a pretense and that he might as well do it now because killing yourself over an election is ridiculous and dumb. Admins banned me for that. So I am in the wrong for mirroring someone how ridiculous his statement is and showing him that his life should be dependent on more than a fucking political election?

I don't really care about the ban though. Reddit is stupid anyway. It's just funny how sensible and easily offended people are there.

• Hmph!
  • Hugs
Reactions: Holu, kilowatt, UtopianSoliloquies and 7 others
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Any way you slice it, telling someone they might as well do it now, whatever their reasoning, is wrong. It isn't even acceptable here, where suicide is discussed.

• Hugs
Reactions: bugs_for_brains, UtopianSoliloquies, Wolf Girl and 18 others
lordfungington

lordfungington

Sep 1, 2021
reddit mods are ridiculous. i got banned for saying 'i wish you well whatever happens' in a suicidewatch post. how tf is this encouraging suicide? make it make sense.

Reactions: potatocube, fleetingnight and kunikuzushi
enduringwinter

enduringwinter

flower, water
Jun 20, 2024
Many Reddit subs have ridiculous arbitrary rules, there are only a few mods for everything and some of them are power tripping through being more rigid than an algorithm. Remember that one time they locked every sub for months over some silly stuff I can't even remember. The users are good but the mods, man.

Reactions: LifeQuitter
O

outrider567

Visionary
Apr 5, 2022
In the suicide sub forum on reddit someone said he will kill himself if Trump gets elected. I told him, that this is a pretense and that he might as well do it now because killing yourself over an election is ridiculous and dumb. Admins banned me for that. So I am in the wrong for mirroring someone how ridiculous his statement is and showing him that his life should be dependent on more than a fucking political election?

I don't really care about the ban though. Reddit is stupid anyway. It's just funny how sensible and easily offended people are there.
I've been banned from reddit three times permanently--the first two bans lasted only about 6 weeks despite it being permanent--My third time is still in effect after a month, but it never hurts to appeal--Reddit is not very important to me anymore anyway--They have a zero tolerance for wishing harm on anyone, I got banned for wishing death on a mass murderer who killed 70 people in Norway

willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
Telling someone their reasons for wanting to CTB are invalid is never okay in my opinion. What may seem insignificant to you may be incredibly emotionally challenging for someone else. Feelings are subjective, not objective. It is never your place to tell someone if their feelings are right or wrong. You can disagree with them, but that doesn't make it untrue for them. And telling someone they might as well do it anyway is no different than flat out saying "kill yourself". You would not want someone to invalidate your feelings or reasons for wanting to CTB, don't do it to someone else.

Reactions: bugs_for_brains, Wolf Girl, RejectMetamorphosis and 7 others
persuasion

persuasion

Dec 10, 2020
Any way you slice it, telling someone they might as well do it now, whatever their reasoning, is wrong. It isn't even acceptable here, where suicide is discussed.
I am not American but the likelihood of Trump getting elected seems pretty high to me. At least 50 % or higher. So there is a more than 50 % chance this person will kill himself because of an election that he personally has close to 0 influence on. If Trump does not get elected, he won't kill himself. But if he realizes that killing himself for an election that in relation to his personal life has a completely random outcome would be a bad idea I could maybe save this person. If you can't talk with the guy about it and his reasoning stops right there, that if Trumps gets voted he'll kill himself, that it wouldn't matter what I say anyway. But if his reasoning was still up to debate my statement could show him that maybe his reasoning lacks some substance. I mean, you could say, that everyone who is saying that they want to kill themselves don't need any reason for that, then I'd agree. But maybe if they actively look for a reason, and in this case they did, then maybe you could still talk to them about it. I mean, maybe they could still wait to see what Trump would do if he gets elected and if it will make their life so much worse as they think? Then they can kill themselves of course still, but there is a chance that even if Trump gets elected their life won't be so much worse as they have it now or as they would have it under the other nominee. That's just my 2 cents though. I would agree that you don't need a reason to suicide, but maybe some reasons are more final than others.

willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
I am not American but the likelihood of Trump getting elected seems pretty high to me. At least 50 % or higher. So there is a more than 50 % chance this person will kill himself because of an election that he personally has close to 0 influence on. If Trump does not get elected, he won't kill himself. But if he realizes that killing himself for an election that in relation to his personal life has a completely random outcome would be a bad idea I could maybe save this person. If you can't talk with the guy about it and his reasoning stops right there, that if Trumps gets voted he'll kill himself, that it wouldn't matter what I say anyway. But if his reasoning was still up to debate my statement could show him that maybe his reasoning lacks some substance. I mean, you could say, that everyone who is saying that they want to kill themselves don't need any reason for that, then I'd agree. But maybe if they actively look for a reason, and in this case they did, then maybe you could still talk to them about it. I mean, maybe they could still wait to see what Trump would do if he gets elected and if it will make their life so much worse as they think? Then they can kill themselves of course still, but there is a chance that even if Trump gets elected their life won't be so much worse as they have it now or as they would have it under the other nominee. That's just my 2 cents though. I would agree that you don't need a reason to suicide, but maybe some reasons are more final than others.
If you're trying to get someone to see potential alternative to CTB, you went about it in the worst possible way. Rather than explaining to them that things may have different outcomes than expected or that there are ways to cope if it does happen without such drastic measures, you told them to just go ahead and off themselves. How is that to be perceived? Especially when on the internet where tone of voice and intent being a phrase are almost impossible to gauge, it comes off as nothing but antagonizing someone. Dangling suicide in front of their face. You went from "you shouldn't kill yourself for this reason and should stay alive" to "you should just kill yourself regardless of your condition". I don't blame the mods for reacting as they did.

Reactions: RejectMetamorphosis, Ash, EvisceratedJester and 2 others
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
I'm not American either, my point had nothing to do about the election nor the outcome of it. Generally whatever someone puts as a reasoning, i don't believe "might as well do it now" is the right response. Usually when a suicidal person talks about killing themselves it runs deeper than the one sentence reasoning they give. The person might not even be suicidal and was just using the common figure of speech "if this happens, am gonna kill myself". Telling that person to do it might be perceived as not a big deal but if that person happens to be suicidal it could have further impact. So Generally when you don't know the full story it's always better to assume the worest and try to be careful with what you say. A particular reasoning could sound absurd or silly to someone else but there are always better alternatives than telling them to basically kill themselves right there.

Reactions: Ash, enduringwinter, willitpass and 1 other person
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
You invalidated someone's reason for suicide and then proceeded to tell them that they may as well kill themself and you are surprised that you got banned? Seriously?

Reactions: Wolf Girl, huzzahhue56, RejectMetamorphosis and 5 others
persuasion

persuasion

Dec 10, 2020
I'm not American either, my point had nothing to do about the election nor the outcome of it. Generally whatever someone puts as a reasoning, i don't believe "might as well do it now" is the right response. Usually when a suicidal person talks about killing themselves it runs deeper than the one sentence reasoning they give. The person might not even be suicidal and was just using the common figure of speech "if this happens, am gonna kill myself". Telling that person to do it might be perceived as not a big deal but if that person happens to be suicidal it could have further impact. So Generally when you don't know the full story it's always better to assume the worest and try to be careful with what you say. A particular reasoning could sound absurd or silly to someone else but there are always better alternatives than telling them to basically kill themselves right there.
He literally said that the only single reason for killing himself would be the election of Trump. He said that he is doing great in life otherwise, he had friends, wife, a well paying job, a good outlook on life and so.
If you're trying to get someone to see potential alternative to CTB, you went about it in the worst possible way. Rather than explaining to them that things may have different outcomes than expected or that there are ways to cope if it does happen without such drastic measures, you told them to just go ahead and off themselves. How is that to be perceived? Especially when on the internet where tone of voice and intent being a phrase are almost impossible to gauge, it comes off as nothing but antagonizing someone. Dangling suicide in front of their face. You went from "you shouldn't kill yourself for this reason and should stay alive" to "you should just kill yourself regardless of your condition". I don't blame the mods for reacting as they did.
I said that so that he questions himself if he has it so much worse under Biden than under Trump and whether it's it worth it to suicide in face of these two different states of being alive. That was the whole intent. So ask a question. That's how I worded it. But the post got deleted so I can't quote myself here. Maybe I am just too autistic to this shit and shouldn't go on the internet. Probably.

Last edited:
Lady Laudanum

Lady Laudanum

Adrenaline junkie
May 9, 2024
You invalidated someone's reason for suicide and then proceeded to tell them that they may as well kill themself and you are surprised that you got banned? Seriously?
Dude imagine being as dense as OP. Holy fucking shit. The points that I had were already pretty thoroughly covered by other people in this thread so all I can say is that OP is a dumbass, tbh.

Reactions: huzzahhue56, RejectMetamorphosis and EvisceratedJester
fleetingnight

fleetingnight

incapable of shutting up
May 2, 2024
"You should kill yourself" is encouragement. It was sarcastic, but espcially when you say it to a suicidal person, and especially if it breaks rules that are taken very seriously, you should probably assume the sarcasm won't be clocked, just to be safe

I despise a lot of rules of social media, but I know I'll still get banned if I choose to ignore them. It's bullshit, but that's the way it goes

Reactions: Myforevercharlie, RejectMetamorphosis, rozeske and 1 other person
let.me.let.go87

let.me.let.go87

Experienced
Jul 12, 2024
I got banned from the dxm sub for asking how much it takes to od. 🤷‍♀️ it's not hard to get banned from Reddit. lol. They said we're not here to help you kill yourself

sos

sos

Experienced
Jul 22, 2024
yea any death related thing is sensitive

who cares its just reddit

there are enough other playgrounds

Reactions: kilowatt and LifeQuitter
Cress

Cress

Arcanist
Oct 15, 2023

Contrary to popular belief we don't run around on this form encouraging one another to end each others lives. It's against the rules here even on a forum dedicated to talking about suicide. All we do is respect the decisions that people here have already made and listen to what they have to say how about their desires to end their own life. Some people just need a outlet to talk about how they're feeling regarding catching the bus in a safe environment where they aren't going to be immediately ridiculed or confined in a padded room.

There is no way to know What sort of mental state that guy was in and it was extremely ill advised to suggest that he should harm himself. If you're lacking compassion for your fellow humans I guess I understand how you would get there but it doesn't make your behavior acceptable. I'd do some soul searching To determine if you really want to Harm others like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ash and RejectMetamorphosis
RejectMetamorphosis

RejectMetamorphosis

get revenge
Jul 10, 2024

Are you dense? Just bc you don't find something significant doesn't mean it is that way for others. Telling someone to do it, and a SUICIDAL person at that is literally encouraging suicide.

Reactions: EvisceratedJester and achb
H

huzzahhue56

Aug 26, 2024

its always the people with zero life issues acting like this. I can bet your white, fairly rich and conventionally attractive aren't you? Always like this. You live in your own privileged bubble of delusion and ofc trump winning isn't going to affect you. Your biggest problem is your mother not letting you go to Jakes party to get shagged. Frankly I don't even know what to write anymore because your baffle me alot. Be appreciative of your life and maybe stop spiralling so much over something so idiotic and trying to play victim on here. You have never suffered or been in a truly difficult position. You don't take his reason for committing seriously, I bet your reason is even worse. You should be grateful to be alive instead of on here moping about something like this. Your a horrible person and spolit too. If I had time to come on here to complain all day and play victim after telling someone to end it I sure wouldn't be suicidal. No idea why you are, I guess playing victim eats up your whole existence so you also have to come on here for pity or something, can't even be thankful or grateful

mrpeter

mrpeter

Experienced
Jun 11, 2024
All politicians are bad anyway if Trump wins it's not a huge deal, Kamala will raise taxes, and who wants to spend more money? Trump claims not to be associated with project 2025, he does however plan to enforce agenda 47 which will cut funding for gender and racial theory classes, and make it illegal to provide gender care to children. Now, I assume these things wouldn't affect this person's life, so why would it be such a huge deal. Also, if this person hated trump its possible they could travel to another country, IDK if they can though.
I'm not a Trump supporter, in fact I hate trump, but he's not a dictator or anything.
Telling someone their reasons for wanting to CTB are invalid is never okay in my opinion. What may seem insignificant to you may be incredibly emotionally challenging for someone else. Feelings are subjective, not objective. It is never your place to tell someone if their feelings are right or wrong. You can disagree with them, but that doesn't make it untrue for them. And telling someone they might as well do it anyway is no different than flat out saying "kill yourself". You would not want someone to invalidate your feelings or reasons for wanting to CTB, don't do it to someone else.
I agree telling someone they may as well kill themselves is kind of a dick move, they should have worded it better.

Last edited:
K

Kali_Yuga13

Experienced
Jul 11, 2024
Telling someone their reasons for wanting to CTB are invalid is never okay in my opinion.
A person is expressing their reason for wanting to ctb on a public forum is an invitation for comment either positive or negative. An argument could be made that allowing only affirmative comments creates an artificial echo chamber that inadvertently promotes mass suicide for reasons of political hysteria by normalizing such thinking.

Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
Telling someone to ' just do it now" is never oke. It's encouraging, unethical and against SaSu rules.

Closing for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.