15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
So about a month ago before I completely gave up I was trying to get help for my mental health (despite how bad the service was before when I tried).

Went to the doctor, he referred me as an urgent case to the wellbeing service. I was supposed to get a reply in two weeks, maximum. In this time I check myself into a&e for feeling suicidal. A mental health team talk to me, tell me I'm just 'emotionally distressed' despite three previous suicide attempts and a long note I'd written for my doctor detailing five years of feeling depressed, anxious, detached and paranoid. How someone can be just 'emotionally distressed' for five years straight to the point of several suicide attempts, I'll never know. I was also told that a close friend didn't care about me, that if I carried on being depressed and suicidal I wouldn't be able to get the job I wanted and was essentially berated for donating to charities/giving to the homeless. They asked if I felt better after talking to them, I said no, they said it's normal when you talk to people about things (I feel better when I get things off my chest) and sent me home, still feeling suicidal.

The letter from the well-being service never came, but I got one from a 'school nurse' service. Texted the number on a whim and she chased up well-being, they called me back and said I'd hear from another team to organise an assessment. This was about three/four weeks after my initial referral, so a week to two after I was supposed to have a date for my assessment.

The team called me last week, let it ring for a matter of seconds (it rang for so little time I didn't even have the opportunity to grab my phone right next to me) and hung up. I called back and they didn't answer. They called me back and said they'd let me know when an assessment was coming through.

Another number called me on Monday while I was in class so I couldn't answer, and only got the opportunity to call back today. They answered, told me they weren't dealing with my case (even though they called me in the first place) and that I was being sent to a youth team. Then they gave me the number to the team that called me last week. Called them again and I didn't answer.

Don't know why I'm even bothering with them when I'll hopefully ctb in a few days. Guess I wanted to have at least something to fall back on in case my attempt fails, on the off-chance they do something useful for once. But if they can't even acknowledge I'm more than just 'emotionally distressed' and sort out an assessment and treating that was supposed to be a priority, I don't have a chance whatever happens.

Reactions: NoOneKnows, Jodes, Letmego. Please and 10 others
YukiFox

YukiFox

Pastel demon
Dec 8, 2018
I can feel you. I don´t visit any psychiatrist or psychology in years, because of this kind of treatment. I struggle with myself with all my mental issues.
Also, I had a personal angry with the psychiatry. A beloved friend was released from psychiatric ward with some meds and "Only rest and take your pills", and the next two weeks she CTB, so, the psychiatry failed this day, and I think will keep failing.

Reactions: Red star, Zaynaldeen, Deafsn0w and 3 others
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
I can feel you. I don´t visit any psychiatrist or psychology in years, because of this kind of treatment. I struggle with myself with all my mental issues.
Also, I had a personal angry with the psychiatry. A beloved friend was released from psychiatric ward with some meds and "Only rest and take your pills", and the next two weeks she CTB, so, the psychiatry failed this day, and I think will keep failing.
I've spent more time on waiting lists than I have in actual treatment, it's ridiculous. I've been on waiting lists for about nine/ten months for two months of 'treatment', and that's not including times my referrals didn't even go through. Said treatment was counseling to help me cope with 'exam stress and friend problems' that I didn't even have. Since I was a minor at the time they talked to my mum before they spoke to me so everything I told them was irrelevant because they already believed what she said, and that was that I worried about exams and friends. So it was useless in the end. I'm from England and the NHS is useless, wish I could afford private treatment in case that was better. Thanks for the reply and understanding. I'm sorry to hear about your friend but I hope she's at peace now. Sending hugs

Reactions: Jodes, Letmego. Please, Deafsn0w and 2 others
M

MsM3talGamer

Voluntary deletion
Nov 28, 2018
It's really difficult to find a proper therapist in my country too. I did have a therapist for two years and she suddenly dumped me after I came back from a holiday. I still feel angry with her how she treated me. I haven't been able to find an affordable therapist since then.

Reactions: NoOneKnows, Deafsn0w, DeletedUser4739 and 2 others
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
It's really difficult to find a proper therapist in my country too. I did have a therapist for two years and she suddenly dumped me after I came back from a holiday. I still feel angry with her how she treated me. I haven't been able to find an affordable therapist since then.
Sorry to hear she treated you badly and that you can't find any other therapists. Sending you hugs

Reactions: Zaynaldeen, Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
M

MsM3talGamer

Voluntary deletion
Nov 28, 2018
Sorry to hear she treated you badly and that you can't find any other therapists. Sending you hugs
Thanks! Sending you hugs back.

Reactions: Zaynaldeen, Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
D

DeletedUser4739

Nearly a decade into being an intensely suicidal person in the states without insurance, and I find myself running in the same hamster wheels, jumping through similar hoops, going nowhere--fast. Three forced hospitalizations of zero therapeutic, and generally injurious value, haven't brought me any closer to a taste of recovery. Sometimes, it is the very illness that has been identified as needing treatment, that fuels me through this ridiculous system; where it's really taking me, I still don't know. This journey is shit, I'm beyond tired and ready to get off this crazy train. The system is as fucked as many of us feel.

Reactions: Jodes, Letmego. Please, Zaynaldeen and 6 others
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
Nearly a decade into being an intensely suicidal person in the states without insurance, and I find myself running in the same hamster wheels, jumping through similar hoops, going nowhere--fast. Three forced hospitalizations of zero therapeutic, and generally injurious value, haven't brought me any closer to a taste of recovery. Sometimes, it is the very illness that has been identified as needing treatment, that fuels me through this ridiculous system; where it's really taking me, I still don't know. This journey is shit, I'm beyond tired and ready to get off this crazy train. The system is as fucked as many of us feel.
Yeah, same here. My only option for treatment is more counseling and there's no point of it doesn't help me. Unless the mental health worker from a&e was wrong about me never being able to go on antidepressants it's the end of the line for me. I'm tired of it too, the system is a let down. I'm sorry you've had difficulties as well. Sending you hugs and best wishes

Reactions: Jodes, Deafsn0w, DeletedUser4739 and 2 others
D

DeletedUser4739

Yeah, same here. My only option for treatment is more counseling and there's no point of it doesn't help me. Unless the mental health worker from a&e was wrong about me never being able to go on antidepressants it's the end of the line for me. I'm tired of it too, the system is a let down. I'm sorry you've had difficulties as well. Sending you hugs and best wishes
Thank you. I wish the same to you as well.

My next option is faith-based therapy. Yay!

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and 15dec
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I can see where you are coming from. I've been to therapists and mental health counselors in the past too and it was at best a time waste and at worst, they interrogated me like I was some bad guy or something. I don't think seeing 'other' mental health professionals is the answer, it won't solve the problems that I have and not to mention, the added risk of saying the wrong thing, then ending up being locked up against my will. Truly barbaric and disgusting. I've come to the point where I'm just not going to bother improving or wasting my time and energy on mental health. Fuck that, I'm going to chase a few fleeting pleasures until I cannot anymore and then ctb.

Reactions: NoOneKnows, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and 2 others
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Would you rather these people just called the cops on you, then you being dragged to the funny farm, where you are treated like a retarded child and a violent criminal, then let go after some time or maybe never allowed to leave? Would everything I just mentioned, help your situation? Personally, it just made everything worse. You can't go to another doctor?

Last edited:
Reactions: KadathianStr1d3r, NoOneKnows, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
Would you rather these people just called the cops on you, then you being dragged to the funny farm, where you are treated like a retarded child and a violent criminal, then let go after some time or maybe never allowed to leave? Would everything I just mentioned, help your situation? Personally, it just made everything worse. You can't go to another doctor?
Not sure how to describe it so sorry if it doesn't make any sense, but there are 'practice boundaries' and some GPs only accept people within theirs. I could try and find a different GP that will prescribe antidepressants but there's no guarantee I'd be accepted or anything. The only other option is private healthcare which I can't afford

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Deafsn0w
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Not sure how to describe it so sorry if it doesn't make any sense, but there are 'practice boundaries' and some GPs only accept people within theirs. I could try and find a different GP that will prescribe antidepressants but there's no guarantee I'd be accepted or anything. The only other option is private healthcare which I can't afford

Sorry to hear, you are possibly stuck with one shitty GP. :( Anti depressants work BTW so if you want to CTB because of depression, IMO, it is not a good idea until you've tried all the anti depressants first.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and 15dec
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
Sorry to hear, you are possibly stuck with one shitty GP. :( Anti depressants work BTW so if you want to CTB because of depression, IMO, it is not a good idea until you've tried all the anti depressants first.
Yeah, been hoping to try them for ages. I was told I'd probably never be put on them because of a past history of ODs. I'm pretty confident in my decision to ctb because of other reasons as well but thank you for the advice anyway! :)

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Deafsn0w
L

Lefty

Mage
Dec 7, 2018
I only recently tried to get help for depression and mental illness. I found out there is no real treatment, except these so called anti-depressants which don't really like. I'm just hoping to CTB very soon, just act normal until I CTB. I'd rather not end up in the hospital or dr office again, where I was held against my will basiclly, just sitting bored or watching TV. Which is also boring.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, 15dec, Severen and 1 other person
slowlystarve

slowlystarve

abomination
Dec 10, 2018
the psychiatric system is an absolute wreck. i'm in the us, and i swear the majority of psychs here only care about making money off of you. i've been in and out of treatment for six years now, and i can count the number of positive experiences with psych services i've had on one hand. meanwhile, i could tell you a plethora of stories about how i witnessed a nurse insult an 8 year old patient at a mental hospital, how i've had a therapist tell me that she did not want to exist, how i've had a therapist lecture me over assumptions she made about me that weren't true, how i've had a psychiatrist lie to my face, etc etc. you have people struggling to get services thinking it will help them only to be met with more pain and no help once they actually get them. it's disgusting.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, 15dec and Deafsn0w
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
the psychiatric system is an absolute wreck. i'm in the us, and i swear the majority of psychs here only care about making money off of you. i've been in and out of treatment for six years now, and i can count the number of positive experiences with psych services i've had on one hand. meanwhile, i could tell you a plethora of stories about how i witnessed a nurse insult an 8 year old patient at a mental hospital, how i've had a therapist tell me that she did not want to exist, how i've had a therapist lecture me over assumptions she made about me that weren't true, how i've had a psychiatrist lie to my face, etc etc. you have people struggling to get services thinking it will help them only to be met with more pain and no help once they actually get them. it's disgusting.
Exactly what happened when I went to a&e -thought I'd get help but just had some worker make me feel even more like shit. I'm sorry that you've had terrible experiences too, we can only hope they'll get better eventually. Hugs

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and slowlystarve
T

Tyuiop

Student
Nov 25, 2018
Yeah, been hoping to try them for ages. I was told I'd probably never be put on them because of a past history of ODs. I'm pretty confident in my decision to ctb because of other reasons as well but thank you for the advice anyway! :)
Antidepressants like SSRIs aren't that harmful in overdose, the people you talked to probably didn't know what they are talking about.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, NoOneKnows and 15dec
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
Antidepressants like SSRIs aren't that harmful in overdose, the people you talked to probably didn't know what they are talking about.
Yeah, they came in with the assumption I was overemotional and looking for attention and didn't want to take me seriously, I think.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
T

Tyuiop

Student
Nov 25, 2018
Yeah, they came in with the assumption I was overemotional and looking for attention and didn't want to take me seriously, I think.
IMO, if you still want to get help, and nobody takes you seriously, you could make an attempt and call the ambulance on yourself?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 15dec
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
IMO, if you still want to get help, and nobody takes you seriously, you could make an attempt and call the ambulance on yourself?
I've been hospitalised before for a suicide attempt but mental health services just don't care unless you're bad enough to be sectioned because you're psychotic or dangerous to others. I watched a video about youth mental health services in England and all these kids report symptoms for years but they're 'not sick enough' until they're delirious, basically

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Tyuiop and Jodes
Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
From an od point of view there is no reason to not give them too you, as a person in the 'adult' system i know how useless CAMHS is, can you try to contact MIND & ask them to help you (advocate) discuss your concerns & wishes re treatment or there maybe a younger persons specific charity, they can also help you with your Gp & asking for a second opinion or seeing a different quack in the practice.
Hugs @15dec

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, 15dec and Jodes
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
We're thinking of you and are here for you, whatever you decide.

But......you just have to know how to fight the system, Letmego is spot on. MIND have always been very useful with helping with all sorts. I hope you do stay with us and do consider CTB as a last resort

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Letmego. Please and 15dec
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
From an od point of view there is no reason to not give them too you, as a person in the 'adult' system i know how useless CAMHS is, can you try to contact MIND & ask them to help you (advocate) discuss your concerns & wishes re treatment or there maybe a younger persons specific charity, they can also help you with your Gp & asking for a second opinion or seeing a different quack in the practice.
Hugs @15dec
I could try but I don't know, I kind of just give up at this point, I'll see if I get a call back today and if they'll do anything more but if not I might try Mind

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Letmego. Please
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
We're thinking of you and are here for you, whatever you decide.

But......you just have to know how to fight the system, Letmego is spot on. MIND have always been very useful with helping with all sorts. I hope you do stay with us and do consider CTB as a last resort
Thank you :) I'm still considering ctb for reasons other than my mental health but if I get some form of treatment I might see how that goes

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Jodes
Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
I could try but I don't know, I kind of just give up at this point, I'll see if I get a call back today and if they'll do anything more but if not I might try Mind

I am not some do gooding, tell people how to live kinda person, but someone said something to me years ago that i hated at the time. Imagine if you can lol it's 1992 I'm 21 in the middle of a 2yr section, in a then still functioning Mental Health system determine to die, already cripped myself, but still trying anyway i could & this nurse who was with me the whole 2yrs and was a lovely person, said to me that she knew the pain i was in, but to please try to live first before i decided to call it a day, well what a load of crap 21yr old me thought....

26yrs has passed now and yes by virtue of being here things have been difficult, but looking back she did have a point, and although i am here & still determined to chose my when, by god have i had some fun, met some great people and yes lived a life.

Crap not enough coffee, that is a tad rambling and may make no sense, But if i can in anyway help you to find a way to try & see if it will help then please just let me know, feel free to Pm me.

From a been there, done that, got the whole wardrobe kinda nice person :halo:

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Jodes and 15dec
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
I am not some do gooding, tell people how to live kinda person, but someone said something to me years ago that i hated at the time. Imagine if you can lol it's 1992 I'm 21 in the middle of a 2yr section, in a then still functioning Mental Health system determine to die, already cripped myself, but still trying anyway i could & this nurse who was with me the whole 2yrs and was a lovely person, said to me that she knew the pain i was in, but to please try to live first before i decided to call it a day, well what a load of crap 21yr old me thought....

26yrs has passed now and yes by virtue of being here things have been difficult, but looking back she did have a point, and although i am here & still determined to chose my when, by god have i had some fun, met some great people and yes lived a life.

Crap not enough coffee, that is a tad rambling and may make no sense, But if i can in anyway help you to find a way to try & see if it will help then please just let me know, feel free to Pm me.

From a been there, done that, got the whole wardrobe kinda nice person :halo:
It's fine, thank you for the advice it does make sense lol. Just before I saw your comment I got a letter saying my assessment is tomorrow which is really late notice but at least it's something. Not sure if it's enough to change my mind about ctb since I have other reasons for wanting to as well but I'll see how it goes :)

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Letmego. Please and Jodes
Letmego. Please

Letmego. Please

Wizard
Nov 18, 2018
Good luck my friend, i hope tomorrow helps. Gotta go out now but i was serious about helping if i can :)

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 15dec