T

thatlatealready

traffic's wild tonight
Apr 7, 2023
And I'm one of the lucky ones. I have friends, I go outside, I see people. I'm socially somewhat normal, apart from the constant stimming.

I think there's this false assumption with ASD that we don't know how others feel about us. Well, I do. I have just enough social capability that I can tell people don't like me. I know I come across as weird as shit, that everything I say is wrong, that I'm fundamentally different from the people around me. I can see how things are going to play out. I know all the rules, all the theory, but I can't play the game. I was born without the necessary cards.

Even my therapist admits it: I'm autistic enough to suffer but not autistic enough to be unaware of how others perceive me. I live with a constant awareness that my existence is a joke.

I can't cope with the feeling of my clothes on my skin, the lights in the supermarket, background noises, or the smell of the streets in my city. The outside world is physically painful for me. I am constantly overwhelmed - even the most basic of demands cripple me.

It's unlikely that I'll get married successfully, or that I will have children. Most of the things I want in life are simply out of reach. I don't want anything big, a quiet house with somewhere to my garden. I don't want to be famous or to socially dominate. I want some friends to do things with, a partner who loves me, a place to carry out my interests in peace, a couple of dogs, a not-so-shitty job that gives something back, maybe adopt a few kids. I will never have most of this.

I can't hold down a job. I can't go to college. I will never buy a house. I'm trapped in this loud, stinky hell. I'm a NEET with no way out of the hole I'm stuck in.

I can't even go into a shop or go to dinner without self harming. My main stim is skin picking. My hands are covered in scars.

The only way out of this is death. I truly genuinely can't take another 60 years of this. I want to die so badly.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: animism, prospero, redbathingduck and 22 others
Dolphin55

Dolphin55

Jan 7, 2023
Oh I'm so sorry you're struggling so much. I think autism can be a special kind of hell and it seems so shit to me that's there's nothing really that can be done. With depression, anxiety, even ADHD…they can *try* to treat it, at least. With autism you're just kind of stuck with it. You can only learn to cope with it the best you can. I don't know if you like hugs but if you do, I'm sending you as many as I can 🫂

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: CTB Dream, tiredangelgirl, thatlatealready and 1 other person
Hugh Class

Hugh Class

Apr 9, 2023
And I'm one of the lucky ones. I have friends, I go outside, I see people. I'm socially somewhat normal, apart from the constant stimming.

I think there's this false assumption with ASD that we don't know how others feel about us. Well, I do. I have just enough social capability that I can tell people don't like me. I know I come across as weird as shit, that everything I say is wrong, that I'm fundamentally different from the people around me. I can see how things are going to play out. I know all the rules, all the theory, but I can't play the game. I was born without the necessary cards.

Even my therapist admits it: I'm autistic enough to suffer but not autistic enough to be unaware of how others perceive me. I live with a constant awareness that my existence is a joke.

I can't cope with the feeling of my clothes on my skin, the lights in the supermarket, background noises, or the smell of the streets in my city. The outside world is physically painful for me. I am constantly overwhelmed - even the most basic of demands cripple me.

It's unlikely that I'll get married successfully, or that I will have children. Most of the things I want in life are simply out of reach. I don't want anything big, a quiet house with somewhere to my garden. I don't want to be famous or to socially dominate. I want some friends to do things with, a partner who loves me, a place to carry out my interests in peace, a couple of dogs, a not-so-shitty job that gives something back, maybe adopt a few kids. I will never have most of this.

I can't hold down a job. I can't go to college. I will never buy a house. I'm trapped in this loud, stinky hell. I'm a NEET with no way out of the hole I'm stuck in.

I can't even go into a shop or go to dinner without self harming. My main stim is skin picking. My hands are covered in scars.

The only way out of this is death. I truly genuinely can't take another 60 years of this. I want to die so badly.
I have a young daughter with severe autism... cannot speak.... cannot understand words.....she easily gets mad and angry with self-harm when people cannot understand her. She avoids people and social situations. I can see into her eyes... she doesn't want to be alive. I know one day.... she will end her life at a young age. Its heart breaking.....

• Hugs
Reactions: CTB Dream, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, NoLightRemains and 3 others
tiredangelgirl

tiredangelgirl

i'm sorry i'm trying my best
Aug 1, 2022
this was so emotional to read, I really feel for you. honestly you're an amazing writer and I've read a lot about autism but truthfully no one has explained it as well as you have. I would totally read blog posts or more posts from you on here. I have sensory issues and every time I experience them I think how there's people that feel that way constantly and it breaks my heart. this modern world is not built for autistic people to succeed or be happy. I wish I could change everything. everyone deserves to be comfortable and safe.

if you don't mind me asking more questions about what it's like having autism?
when you're sh do you catch yourself during it and want to stop? does it feel like an impulse you can't control?

if you don't feel like answering no worries :) thank you for sharing

• Hugs
Reactions: CTB Dream and thatlatealready
Source Energy

Source Energy

I want to be where people areN'T...
Jan 23, 2023
I have very high functioning autism ( Aspergers) and this was painful to read. I relate so much !

I am very intuitive, I can read up clues and body language and can detect sarcasm and what people mean. I can also tell what kind of person someone is just by seeing their picture, and be correct. I don't do faux pas and I don't have trouble being misunderstood or misunderstand.
That being said, because I can so well read up people, I sense a connection with very few of them. They have to be pure at heart to bond with me- just like with a cat or a dog.

I too hate noise, being touched by surprise( this I hate most!), crowded environments, strong unexpected smells like the neighbor's cooking. Loud laughing or yelling makes me panic. Despite this, I work full time in hospitality, a customer oriented job in a fast pace place. I fake a cheerful persona with a happy sweet smile and I am very popular with clients. Needless to say, at the end of the day, I crash!

I cannot for the life of me be mean or impolite. It takes a lot to stand up for myself, usually that is when I'm driven crazy or it involves standing up for others. I avoid conflict and aggressive people. I crave peace and silence with all my soul.
Having a family is out of question. Putting up with a husband's friends and family, accompanying him at social functions...oh hell no. I feel drained just thinking about it.

I'm also clumsy and uncoordinated, I constantly drop stuff, bump into things. It took a lot of will to learn swimming, and now I am pushing myself for the driving license. That would be a big achievement, because I have to overcome both incoordination, and the fear of things in movement. Ah, and I did mention Attention Deficit Disorder? Not hyper. But if someone talks to me when I'm doing something, the task is messed up. It also makes my brain literally freeze. I can only focus on one thing at a time. Despite this, I think I can get myself into driving, with effort and discipline. It would be part of my growth before calling the Life game quits.

My stimming is skin picking too. My nail cuticles are always picked at. Lol. At least it's not nails biting or anything.

Yes, life is definitely hard for us autistic enough to be different but high functioning enough to realize it.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: redbathingduck, whatevs, imlookingforward and 6 others
spiderwebz

spiderwebz

tired
Apr 11, 2023
i feel you. I'm autistic too and i hate being like this. society doesn't understand us and they don't even try to. we have so much potential but not in this world.

• Hugs
Reactions: imlookingforward, CTB Dream, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 2 others
T

thatlatealready

traffic's wild tonight
Apr 7, 2023
I have a young daughter with severe autism... cannot speak.... cannot understand words.....she easily gets mad and angry with self-harm when people cannot understand her. She avoids people and social situations. I can see into her eyes... she doesn't want to be alive. I know one day.... she will end her life at a young age. Its heart breaking.....
I'm so sorry about your daughter's struggles. It must be so difficult for her. I can communicate my distress effectively most of the time; I can't imagine the pain of being unable to. I know it does not help your situation, but I wish nothing but the best for you, your daughter, and your family. I hope they can find a way to help your daughter communicate and that her burden is eased. It sounds like a truly hard existence.
this was so emotional to read, I really feel for you. honestly you're an amazing writer and I've read a lot about autism but truthfully no one has explained it as well as you have. I would totally read blog posts or more posts from you on here. I have sensory issues and every time I experience them I think how there's people that feel that way constantly and it breaks my heart. this modern world is not built for autistic people to succeed or be happy. I wish I could change everything. everyone deserves to be comfortable and safe.

if you don't mind me asking more questions about what it's like having autism?
when you're sh do you catch yourself during it and want to stop? does it feel like an impulse you can't control?

if you don't feel like answering no worries :) thank you for sharing
Sure, you can ask questions.

I have some control over the impulse, but it's more complicated than just stopping. On one hand, I want to stop because it's bad and causes me difficulties. I've gotten infections in the sores on my hands and it leaves scars. I remember that one time as a child I picked my skin all the way down and was left with a large hole on my hand that took months to heal. It can easily get very out of control.

However, on the other hand, it serves a purpose. My stimming helps me regulate my distress and manage the feelings of overwhelm. I have other stims (pacing, listening to music repetitively, rubbing my nail along my thumb, leg bouncing, fidgeting with objects, running my tongue along my lips), but not all of them can be used in public or are as effective as skin-picking in helping me self-regulate. It's often a choice between picking at my skin, or having a public meltdown/shutdown, or running away. I don't really want to wind up collapsing into a rocking, crying ball in the middle of the supermarket, or bolting out of a dinner with friends to run home. The self harm provides something else to focus on other than the lighting, the noise, the panic. It allows me to remain somewhat normal around other people, and its subtle enough that others don't immediately look at it as really fucking weird.

The other big reason it's hard to quit is because I don't immediately notice I'm doing it: it's a bad habit similar to nail biting or saying "like" in every sentence. I'm not always totally consciously aware of it. I also have a weirdly high pain tolerance, so what starts out as light scratching or running my nail along my thumb quickly progresses into me doing some serious damage without noticing I'm doing it.

The only way I've found to be able to quit the picking is to totally avoid going outside or interacting with other people. I didn't leave the house much as a teenager (at one point not even to the end of the garden for over six months) and was diagnosed with agoraphobia. While it stopped the self harm because I didn't need it as much in a controlled environment where I wasn't constantly overwhelmed, it was a lonely, boring, and isolated existence which I wouldn't choose to return to.

I think it's hard to imagine a world that could accommodate my needs - things could be significantly better, sure, but I'm not certain everything could be fixed. I'm upset by things like LED light (I can see them flickering) and the music they play in shops. If I'm particularly stressed, even overly bright clothing, sunlight or the feeling of fabric on my skin gets to me. I can't see how the world could be altered to totally account for my disability without it being spoiled for everybody else. It would probably be easier if people didn't immediately write me off as a nob for wearing a headphones all the time, or a hat and sunglasses indoors, but even that isn't a perfect fit,
I have very high functioning autism ( Aspergers) and this was painful to read. I relate so much !

I am very intuitive, I can read up clues and body language and can detect sarcasm and what people mean. I can also tell what kind of person someone is just by seeing their picture, and be correct. I don't do faux pas and I don't have trouble being misunderstood or misunderstand.
That being said, because I can so well read up people, I sense a connection with very few of them. They have to be pure at heart to bond with me- just like with a cat or a dog.

I too hate noise, being touched by surprise( this I hate most!), crowded environments, strong unexpected smells like the neighbor's cooking. Loud laughing or yelling makes me panic. Despite this, I work full time in hospitality, a customer oriented job in a fast pace place. I fake a cheerful persona with a happy sweet smile and I am very popular with clients. Needless to say, at the end of the day, I crash!

I cannot for the life of me be mean or impolite. It takes a lot to stand up for myself, usually that is when I'm driven crazy or it involves standing up for others. I avoid conflict and aggressive people. I crave peace and silence with all my soul.
Having a family is out of question. Putting up with a husband's friends and family, accompanying him at social functions...oh hell no. I feel drained just thinking about it.

I'm also clumsy and uncoordinated, I constantly drop stuff, bump into things. It took a lot of will to learn swimming, and now I am pushing myself for the driving license. That would be a big achievement, because I have to overcome both incoordination, and the fear of things in movement. Ah, and I did mention Attention Deficit Disorder? Not hyper. But if someone talks to me when I'm doing something, the task is messed up. It also makes my brain literally freeze. I can only focus on one thing at a time. Despite this, I think I can get myself into driving, with effort and discipline. It would be part of my growth before calling the Life game quits.

My stimming is skin picking too. My nail cuticles are always picked at. Lol. At least it's not nails biting or anything.

Yes, life is definitely hard for us autistic enough to be different but high functioning enough to realize it.
Yeah, it's hard to be able to pick up on the social cues, but not necessarily able to respond correctly or to still be unable to form that connection with others. You're right about animals. My dog is my best friend. It feels like they're the only ones who truly do not judge.

I managed to sort of hold down a temporary job over the Christmas period. I was almost fired because I wound up attempting suicide twice, had to be hospitalised for a bit, then couldn't go to work because I was on round the clock suicide watch. It wasn't even the people-ing part that got to me; it was having to organise myself everyday, the constant music, the noise, and the random schedules. I'm actually quite extroverted - I need social interaction to feel energised and like myself, but it's so hard to find it in an environment I can cope with. Everybody wants to spent time in bright, loud, overwhelming environments! Even my local RPG café plays music all the time, has bright lighting and is painted yellow! It feels like there's nowhere for people like us.

Also, have you heard of dyspraxia/ developmental coordination disorder? It commonly occurs with ASD and, for me, it better explained my clumsiness than autism alone. It also causes issues with motor planning and executive function. I've found that adapting my life to account for it helps. If you're having significant issues in those areas, it might be something worth looking into.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: redbathingduck, imlookingforward, CTB Dream and 1 other person
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Same situation. I guess there's no need to elaborate. The autistic average isn't very good bit like with any other average there are going to be divergences from it in both directions. Sadly, I diverged from it very heavily in the negative direction.

But there is an escape. It's right there in the name of the site.

• Hugs
Reactions: whatevs, imlookingforward, CTB Dream and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I also have autism (high functioning), and at least the way that I see it, autistic people aren't meant for this cruel world, I also find it horrible the thought of being trapped here for decades, I certainly wish that I never existed at all.

• Hugs
Reactions: Source Energy, redbathingduck, whatevs and 4 others
freonix

freonix

:-(
Apr 11, 2023
"high-functioning" autistic here, though these days i feel like i can barely function at all...

thank you for your words, i really relate to them. i've always been far too aware of the way people perceive me and how it's completely different from everyone else. i've been able to get by with more "public-facing" stims but these days the impulse to just do things like skin-picking and biting are getting really strong. i have really nasty dyspraxia too, and i know that affects the way people see me because i've been called names over it.

i don't think being autistic is inherently bad, but it's become so clear that even if there are a few beautiful things here, this world is not for us

• Hugs
Reactions: imlookingforward, CTB Dream, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 1 other person
NoLightRemains

NoLightRemains

I found my light again. Namu Amida Butsu
Sep 26, 2021
If I wasn't autistic, I probably wouldn't be on this website. I got pretty decent at socializing and could mask well for work over my life, but I've been majorly burnt out for years. I'm now a NEET living with my family again after working so hard to make a life for myself, but I just wasn't meant to make it long-term. I'm about to turn 30 and all I can think about is making my exit from this world.

• Hugs
Reactions: thatlatealready, Source Energy, whatevs and 2 others
tiredangelgirl

tiredangelgirl

i'm sorry i'm trying my best
Aug 1, 2022

do you hate the smell of neighbors cooking even if it's a food you really like? is it the strong unexpectedness of it that makes it unpleasant?
I'm so sorry about your daughter's struggles. It must be so difficult for her. I can communicate my distress effectively most of the time; I can't imagine the pain of being unable to. I know it does not help your situation, but I wish nothing but the best for you, your daughter, and your family. I hope they can find a way to help your daughter communicate and that her burden is eased. It sounds like a truly hard existence.

Sure, you can ask questions.

I have some control over the impulse, but it's more complicated than just stopping. On one hand, I want to stop because it's bad and causes me difficulties. I've gotten infections in the sores on my hands and it leaves scars. I remember that one time as a child I picked my skin all the way down and was left with a large hole on my hand that took months to heal. It can easily get very out of control.

However, on the other hand, it serves a purpose. My stimming helps me regulate my distress and manage the feelings of overwhelm. I have other stims (pacing, listening to music repetitively, rubbing my nail along my thumb, leg bouncing, fidgeting with objects, running my tongue along my lips), but not all of them can be used in public or are as effective as skin-picking in helping me self-regulate. It's often a choice between picking at my skin, or having a public meltdown/shutdown, or running away. I don't really want to wind up collapsing into a rocking, crying ball in the middle of the supermarket, or bolting out of a dinner with friends to run home. The self harm provides something else to focus on other than the lighting, the noise, the panic. It allows me to remain somewhat normal around other people, and its subtle enough that others don't immediately look at it as really fucking weird.

The other big reason it's hard to quit is because I don't immediately notice I'm doing it: it's a bad habit similar to nail biting or saying "like" in every sentence. I'm not always totally consciously aware of it. I also have a weirdly high pain tolerance, so what starts out as light scratching or running my nail along my thumb quickly progresses into me doing some serious damage without noticing I'm doing it.

The only way I've found to be able to quit the picking is to totally avoid going outside or interacting with other people. I didn't leave the house much as a teenager (at one point not even to the end of the garden for over six months) and was diagnosed with agoraphobia. While it stopped the self harm because I didn't need it as much in a controlled environment where I wasn't constantly overwhelmed, it was a lonely, boring, and isolated existence which I wouldn't choose to return to.

I think it's hard to imagine a world that could accommodate my needs - things could be significantly better, sure, but I'm not certain everything could be fixed. I'm upset by things like LED light (I can see them flickering) and the music they play in shops. If I'm particularly stressed, even overly bright clothing, sunlight or the feeling of fabric on my skin gets to me. I can't see how the world could be altered to totally account for my disability without it being spoiled for everybody else. It would probably be easier if people didn't immediately write me off as a nob for wearing a headphones all the time, or a hat and sunglasses indoors, but even that isn't a perfect fit,

Yeah, it's hard to be able to pick up on the social cues, but not necessarily able to respond correctly or to still be unable to form that connection with others. You're right about animals. My dog is my best friend. It feels like they're the only ones who truly do not judge.

I managed to sort of hold down a temporary job over the Christmas period. I was almost fired because I wound up attempting suicide twice, had to be hospitalised for a bit, then couldn't go to work because I was on round the clock suicide watch. It wasn't even the people-ing part that got to me; it was having to organise myself everyday, the constant music, the noise, and the random schedules. I'm actually quite extroverted - I need social interaction to feel energised and like myself, but it's so hard to find it in an environment I can cope with. Everybody wants to spent time in bright, loud, overwhelming environments! Even my local RPG café plays music all the time, has bright lighting and is painted yellow! It feels like there's nowhere for people like us.

Also, have you heard of dyspraxia/ developmental coordination disorder? It commonly occurs with ASD and, for me, it better explained my clumsiness than autism alone. It also causes issues with motor planning and executive function. I've found that adapting my life to account for it helps. If you're having significant issues in those areas, it might be something worth looking into.

what does your ideal environment look like? like are these things completely controllable (as much as you can in this world) or can they happen randomly and the triggers can change?

for example , would a place with white walls, dim lighting, minimal art work on the walls, quiet music etc be most comfortable or one day the white can be too much cause it's super bright and not dark? sorry my wording is horrible 🤦🏻‍♀️ like do you have set triggers (sound effects, colors etc) or can they change on the day/ mood?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: CTB Dream
T

thatlatealready

traffic's wild tonight
Apr 7, 2023
do you hate the smell of neighbors cooking even if it's a food you really like? is it the strong unexpectedness of it that makes it unpleasant?

what does your ideal environment look like? like are these things completely controllable (as much as you can in this world) or can they happen randomly and the triggers can change?

for example , would a place with white walls, dim lighting, minimal art work on the walls, quiet music etc be most comfortable or one day the white can be too much cause it's super bright and not dark? sorry my wording is horrible 🤦🏻‍♀️ like do you have set triggers (sound effects, colors etc) or can they change on the day/ mood?
My triggers are sort of set, but my ability to tolerate them changes. View it as a sort of cumulative distress score: each thing does a certain amount of damage, and when I get above a certain level it becomes intolerable. For example, bad lighting might be +15 distress. I could cope with it if there wasn't anything else along with it, but if you add in sudden plan changes (+10), a bad night's sleep (+5), background music (+10), uncomfortable clothes (+8), unfamiliar situation (+10), arriving late (+10), it very rapidly reaches a high total score that would be beyond my ability to cope.

What is most comfortable one day will be most comfortable the next, unless there's something very different like I have a migraine and I literally just want to sit in the dark. Some days my preferences for things like music changes, but there's always a slight risk of it causing overwhelm. My brain doesn't really differentiate between background noises and the sound of people's voices, I tend to just perceive all noise as a wall of sound. Music and conversation at the same time is hard for me.

It's like there's no filter between me and the world: I can't just ignore things in my peripheral vision, or block out annoying sounds. If I'm engaging with something and it's the only thing I'm engaging with (such as viewing a piece of art), that's pretty different than having to see it out of the corner of my eye all the time. It's the difference between going to a concert and only being able to hear the music the artist is playing, and going out for dinner with friends and only being able to hear the music being played in the restaurant. One is the experience you wanted, the other has ruined the evening.

Some of my sensory issues are controllable or can be managed, but others are just a part of living in the world. I keep my apartment as friendly to my needs as possible: all the lights are on dimmer switches (except the one in the bathroom so I usually shower/bathe in the dark); I don't use overhead lighting where possible; I keep clutter to a minimum and I avoid open shelving so I don't have to look at my stuff; I clean regularly; I use neutral scented products; I cover all the flashing lights on things; all of my screens are set to low brightness and I keep the blue-light filter on; I have blackout curtains for the evenings; and the apartment I live in has decent sound proofing. I live with my mother so that somewhat limits what I can and can't do, but if I lived alone I'd probably have more plants, less stuff, and a stronger organisation system. I would also choose to live in the countryside away from the city, and I'd replace the lighting in the bathroom. I might change some of the cleaning products we use too too.

My ideal environment has relatively dim non-overhead lighting that isn't cheap LEDs and doesn't flicker, or is naturally lit using sunlight. Bright colours are kept to a minimum and neutral earth tones are used as much as possible. Visual clutter and background noise is avoided. It's quiet and neutrally scented. There are also no itchy chairs or anything like that. Soft furnishings are used to absorb the noise.

I like old style libraries. They're cool. I also like forests, beaches, and most quiet outdoor spaces.

• Hugs
Reactions: CTB Dream
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
Thank you for making this post, I have ASD well and what you've written struck a chord with me and likely many others on the spectrum who are stuck in that precarious position of being high functioning enough to achieve self-awareness (and acknowledge how others perceive us) yet have no means to remedy the abnormalities which prevent us from blending in with the neurotypical population. Your words are so visceral, so raw, and so real, and I'm so sorry you have to struggle like this.

You deserve to have that partner you want, a solid circle of friends, a comfy house, and a decent job, and it's terribly tragic that life keeps depriving you of these things. I don't think people realise how much of a barrier that high functioning autism can pose when it comes to hitting those adult milestones. People can conceive the realty of an autistic child, but not an autistic adult who struggles to navigate the world outside of education and has lost all support since all services are geared towards developing children and adolescents.

Noise cancelling headphones seem to help some people with handling loud noises in public, it can make the environment a little less overwhelming. It might be hard to find an affordable set of them if you don't currently have any source of income as a NEET, but sometimes you can find them secondhand for cheaper. Though I understand this is simply a bandaid and can't ameliorate many of the other facets of sensory overload, it could help some of the auditory torment become more manageable.

I can relate to what you said about textures and clothing so much. I am so picky with clothes and I hate feeling uncomfortable, when I was a child even touching certain fabrics made me want to scream. I nearly throw up every morning and night from brushing my teeth because the sensation is too overwhelming and makes me nauseated. I can't handle anything disgusting or potent at all, and so many noises make me so upset and annoyed that I want to cover my ears and run away.

Autism truly is a curse. Very few people can understand what it's like, but you described it very eloquently here. The social isolation that stems from being on the spectrum is crippling. If you have any learning or cognitive challenges that become more pronounced due to autism, it makes it even worse. For example, I have aphantasia and a speech impidement that always makes my voice sound weird.

I've always been extremely rigid with fixed, obsessive interests, and not in the autistic genius savant trope type way, in a, my brain is so dysfunctional that it will only allow me to make one thing my entire identity and nothing else. Having a special interest was always a deep source of embarrassment as a child, because I literally could not talk about anything else. It's such a bizarre aspect of autism that few people talk about. My whole life I have been playing a character and just mimicking the dialogue of stories that I obsessed over at any given time, so I don't even feel like a person, more like a chimeric robot who constantly tries to suppress any personality and mask.

In my case, I picked a degree subject where I would get to study autism, in hopes of finding something that could potentially help people like you and I, only to find that over the past few years people started regarding autism as a superpower and not a disability. A key driver of my sucidality is autism, so it was like a slap in the face to keep being told this over and over again by people who did not have the same issues that you, I, or other autistic individuals on this forum do that drive us to be suicidal.

I hope in the future there will be something that can ease a bit of the despair that you have to fight with, it's truly tragic how autistic adults are left to fend for themselves with 0 help available. It's deeply unfair.

• Hugs
Reactions: redbathingduck, whatevs, freonix and 4 others
CTB Dream

CTB Dream

Injury damage disabl hard talk no argu make fun et
Sep 17, 2022
Vry sry autism know how v cruel this life no me. Not comptbl life can inly live own way, also many prblm cnct human no understand wat want make worse, evry time interact human this mean posbl all life trama rmmb. Have also deep intrst many game anime etc this no money etc no able this hurt ,rly need intrst, rly know how love char love game many many, befr also can weite can draw do many sci. Also LGBT lesbi vry intrst yuri, need dream world no this awful world. Now add injury damage this no only autism this brain vege this out space time, this all torture world no me autisti add injury damage

• Hugs
Reactions: redbathingduck, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, thatlatealready and 3 others
charlotte_

charlotte_

Arcanist
Mar 12, 2023
As an autistic person, I feel for everyone on this thread. At times, I don't think we belong in this world. Several people have told me that I should not do things normal people do because I'm just not meant for doing them. Even though I don't want to admit it, I know they're right. Can't make conversations, can't work in groups, can't read social cues, can't adapt to new environments well, can't control my stims, can't understand things fast and basically a millions of other things. I just can't do shit, and I genuinely don't know if my life is actually gonna lead somewhere.

• Hugs
Reactions: redbathingduck, whatevs, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 3 others
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
That's very rough. My stimming is just touching my hair, a bit biting my fingers. Yeah, Sheldon Cooper is just the marketable sunny side, I've made people laugh most of my life but half of the time it was at me, not with me. Not that neurotypicals are better in all forms IMO, they're just the majority. I like my reluctance or inability to lie, for example. I don't appreciate my social anxiety and having the tell tale signs of being a lunatic with my stims.

It's been a horrible life and Asperger's (that's what they called it then, now it seems to be something else, don't care) has been part if it, yeah.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and thatlatealready
Source Energy

Source Energy

I want to be where people areN'T...
Jan 23, 2023

it is mostly the unexpectedness, but even if it is a smell I like, if it strong and it comes from the neighbors, I feel my place invaded by them. I also get a headache from cooking smells with condiments

my ideal environment would be sound and smell isolated from others. I don't want to feel any intruding presence when I am home trying to relax. Lights don't bother me at all, sight is the only sense that never gets overwhelmed