northoverhill

northoverhill

Feb 28, 2023
Based on what I've read from a few others on this forum and my own self as well, it seems people who are trans are also likely to be both autistic and depressed.

Obviously, the last thing I want to do is generalise and make assumptions of other similar people, but I've wondered about why that seems to be the case and why, at least for me, those things tend to perpetuate each other in an endless, self-triggering chain reaction.

My autism has given me less regard for social convention and societal norms, meaning I've been more willing to explore my gender identity and express myself in an unusual way. However I choose to identify or label myself, inevitably, this leads to discrimination; heckles on the street, people online arguing about whether we exist, governments across the world seemingly in an arms race to see who can erase us quicker, the fact that my potential romantic/sexual partners were instantly cut by about 98% the moment I came out.

And, rather surprisingly, this combination of things takes the spring out of my step (sarcasm implied). I am very very sad the vast majority of the time. I used to be able to hide that fact, but I am now so tired that when people ask me "hey, how you doing?", I honestly just say "...awful". They then, obviously, ask "what's up?". And here's where it starts to circle in on itself. Throughout the day/night when I'm crying, pacing back and forth across my room, gripped by pure existential terror, I'm mentally piecing together a beautiful and passionate rant about everything that's wrong.
In my head I'm collecting all these scattered pieces of trauma, regrets, past failures, future concerns, linking it all together with evidence, therapizing myself as I'm going.

Then my friend asks if I want to hop in Discord, and I think "yes!!" It's the perfect storm! I'm very emotional, he's my closest friend, I'm so desperate for someone to listen to me, and I've got my thoughts together. We hop in, we say hello, he asks how I'm doing as I fully hope and expect him to, and I just freeze. My nose is stuffy, my eyes are raw, and my script is disintegrating in my fucking hands, and yet again the possibility of a progressive and helpful chat with a close friend eludes me. I tell him I'm not doing well, but I don't even scratch the surface of what is actually wrong. I give vague references to just how generally tough life is, "I'm just really fucking tired man". We talk about it for a few minutes, and we come to some hollow conclusion that life's all about just having a laugh, and we play some games for a bit. This isn't at all to say my friend isn't trying to help me or I'm insulting him - I love him so very much - but it's just not emotionally relieving for me.

From what I believe is my autism, I find it so impossibly difficult to articulate my thoughts when talking to someone, I find it so very difficult to believe that they care about what I'm saying, I don't have it in me to truly connect with him or anyone else. I'm from a different planet and I'm utterly alone.

I watch comedy panel shows on YouTube, and I'm so horribly jealous of how likeable and friendly these people are. How the fuck do these people do it? None of these people are trans. Maybe trans people just don't find success, maybe my life is just doomed to fail, maybe I have just a really specific and awful combination of traits and circumstances that have made my life irredeemable. I'm working class, transgender, autistic, and clinically depressed - the antithesis of a royal flush. And as always, that conclusion leads me to wish I was dead. Fuck this planet, fuck me, fuck it all to fuck and back.

Thank you for reading my disordered thoughts. <3

• Hugs
Reactions: saddestbunny, shinohara, ShotgunShell and 7 others
just_erika

just_erika

Mar 14, 2023
dont have source but heard of a scientific study that concluded that theres like a 30% correlation between autism and gender identity stuff.
And as for depression, if you got even one of the other 2 you're just outside of social norms. the world is not build for you. or is even actively hostile towards you. I can see how that can make anyone depressed.

Hell I'm depressed and Im just trans

• Hugs
Reactions: FacePALM and CTB Dream
NoLoveNoHope

NoLoveNoHope

Mage
Mar 25, 2023
I know gender dysphoria and autism are linked although not caused by the other. You sound a lot like me, maybe you could PM me and we can talk? I'm also pretty depressed and down on my luck as well as trans.

• Hugs
Reactions: northoverhill
Scacie

Scacie

She/Her
Feb 24, 2023
Oh my. Heya op we are basically the same. I have ASD and I'm trans too! Like others said, there is definitely a correlation between ASD and gender identity.
And I can't emphasize more with the part about disordered thoughts lol. Lots of the posts I post here, are thoughts that I had already ran through in my mind before. And it's really good, probably. It seemed coherent. But when I type everything out it just...so bad hahah

• Hugs
Reactions: Deadweight, northoverhill and redbathingduck
redbathingduck

redbathingduck

Student
Mar 20, 2023
This is a really relatable post as someone who is also autistic, trans and has been dealing with clinical depression for years. A lot of trans people I have met have been autistic as well so there's definitely something there. A lot of things suck for us and I have honestly become numb to a lot of the political discussion and discrimination all that. It's all so very tiring and I don't know how to deal with it.

I also have a lot of trouble connecting to other people and really resonate with the freezing up about what you actually wanted to say that described, though with me it can be for really mundane topics too. I don't really feel connected to anyone and something in my mind always tells me other people I talk to don't really care about what I have to say. When I'm in a call with online friends I just say I'm fine because I can't really get out what I feel like a lot of the time and when I do they don't seem to be able to really resonate with it even if they try to help me

Some part of me is hoping that all my other problems will magically go away when I'm further into my transition and that I'll suddenly become more social, less anxious, just happy with myself and will be able to connect to other people. But realistically I know it doesn't really work with that and I also have little faith that I could be who I want to be. I'm still struggling for now because I feel like I have to at least give it a try but it's pretty much my last resort and I'm more than prepared to ctb when things don't work out. To me life just kinda sucks and it seems hellish to have to spend another 5, 10, 20, or even 50 years alive. I'm not really interested in it anymore and there's not really any things I enjoy or want to do in life anyway. Working seems to bring it's own problems to autistic people too and it's honestly all just not worth it for me. Fuck it all indeed

• Hugs
Reactions: northoverhill and Scacie
nozomu

nozomu

Global Mod // will i wiN my recovery arc
Nov 28, 2022
Really relatable. Then the RSD spiral makes me not want to reach out for help in anticipation I'll be rejected for needing it which is painful.

northoverhill

northoverhill

Feb 28, 2023
I know gender dysphoria and autism are linked although not caused by the other. You sound a lot like me, maybe you could PM me and we can talk? I'm also pretty depressed and down on my luck as well as trans.
Yeah ofc! You wanna pm me? I'm still new here and I'm not sure how to do it

Scacie

Scacie

She/Her
Feb 24, 2023
You gotta reach a certain number of posts before you can PM someone

northoverhill

northoverhill

Feb 28, 2023
Oh my. Heya op we are basically the same. I have ASD and I'm trans too! Like others said, there is definitely a correlation between ASD and gender identity.
And I can't emphasize more with the part about disordered thoughts lol. Lots of the posts I post here, are thoughts that I had already ran through in my mind before. And it's really good, probably. It seemed coherent. But when I type everything out it just...so bad hahah
Yeah it's good to have this forum as a place to vent. It's always so supportive and non-judgemental, and it's so nice to find people who actually relate to me such as yourself. Hope you're doing okay my love đź’•

• Love
Reactions: Scacie
Scacie

Scacie

She/Her
Feb 24, 2023
Yeah it's good to have this forum as a place to vent. It's always so supportive and non-judgemental, and it's so nice to find people who actually relate to me such as yourself. Hope you're doing okay my love đź’•
Thank you!:heart: I hope you're doing fine too, but the site we're on.... yea
I was definitely surprised when I learnt there are so many people like us on this site. Though I probably shouldn't be, given the uhm..statistics

northoverhill

northoverhill

Feb 28, 2023
This is a really relatable post as someone who is also autistic, trans and has been dealing with clinical depression for years. A lot of trans people I have met have been autistic as well so there's definitely something there. A lot of things suck for us and I have honestly become numb to a lot of the political discussion and discrimination all that. It's all so very tiring and I don't know how to deal with it.

I also have a lot of trouble connecting to other people and really resonate with the freezing up about what you actually wanted to say that described, though with me it can be for really mundane topics too. I don't really feel connected to anyone and something in my mind always tells me other people I talk to don't really care about what I have to say. When I'm in a call with online friends I just say I'm fine because I can't really get out what I feel like a lot of the time and when I do they don't seem to be able to really resonate with it even if they try to help me

Some part of me is hoping that all my other problems will magically go away when I'm further into my transition and that I'll suddenly become more social, less anxious, just happy with myself and will be able to connect to other people. But realistically I know it doesn't really work with that and I also have little faith that I could be who I want to be. I'm still struggling for now because I feel like I have to at least give it a try but it's pretty much my last resort and I'm more than prepared to ctb when things don't work out. To me life just kinda sucks and it seems hellish to have to spend another 5, 10, 20, or even 50 years alive. I'm not really interested in it anymore and there's not really any things I enjoy or want to do in life anyway. Working seems to bring it's own problems to autistic people too and it's honestly all just not worth it for me. Fuck it all indeed
Wow yeah, I really relate here. Most gender non-conforming people I've met have also been neurodivergent, it's pretty interesting.

Definitely feels like the world is against me and my life has just been dead on arrival. I've actually stopped taking my HRT as I'm just so exhausted by my transition at this point. I miss the more normal life I had before. I've stopped being excited by feminine clothes and putting my makeup on. Like you said, when I was early on in my transition a few years ago, I kept telling myself that things would get easier the further in I got it, but they haven't. It's been about 4 years now, and I'm kinda just fed up.

I feel for you, hope you're doing okay, feel free to pm me whenever I gain the ability to do so
Thank you!:heart: I hope you're doing fine too, but the site we're on.... yea
I was definitely surprised when I learnt there are so many people like us on this site. Though I probably shouldn't be, given the uhm..statistics
My god yeah. Sadly I can't say I was too surprised that one of the most marginalised groups in modern society is pretty upset lol

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: redbathingduck and Scacie
H

hellobye

Mar 28, 2023
Autistic, depressed, but not trans. I can't fathom the amount of shit trans people have to go through on top of everything else, being the subject of a horrific and cynical culture war must be so painful and absolutely exhausting. If previous cycles of this hateful crap are anything to go by, the perpetrators will move back on to another group at some point - migrants, disabled people, ethnic minorities, etc. That brings little comfort I'm sure, but it will hopefully it be *this* bad forever. Solidarity.

• Hugs
Reactions: redbathingduck
maybemonday

maybemonday

surviving but not thriving
Mar 28, 2023
Trans, autistic, and depressed here. Glad I'm not alone. I don't know how there are trans people who aren't depressed, I go to foxnews and read the comments on articles about trans shit and start crying. When like half the population doesn't even see you for who you are it really fucking hurts.

• Hugs
Reactions: redbathingduck