TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
This was something that was not only mentioned in numerous posts by EG (existentialgoof) in many of his replies against pro-lifers on Reddit as well as his articles, but I've come to the conclusion in a similar way too, partially due to anecdotal life experiences and such as well. Why do I compare sentience (or life itself) to a house of cards? I made this comparison due to the fact (and even from non-SaSu circles or spaces, including mainstream spaces) that everything in life can be taken away on a whim, whether good health, wealth, assets, you name it.

For example, an average normie who is living a decent life (needs met and generally acceptable and satisfiable quality of life to themselves) who just gets into a life changing incident, be it a terrible motor vehicle accident or victim of a crime, can suddenly lose their current quality of life and many more. Lets presume the accident or life changing event was traumatic and/or damaging enough (physically and psychologically) that the person doesn't make a full recovery, said person's previous life is not going to be the same anymore. Of course, the irony is that many normies would either not think about it (ignorance is bliss, out of sight and out of mind), or whenever they face it, they try to rationalize and justify their stance (mostly out of fear of their beliefs being threatened (e.g. life is so sacred, life is so good, etc.), but also their own innate fear of death). Those who do end up in such predicaments may even adapt and cope with the aftermath, to varying degrees (some continue living out of fear of the unknown, their self-preservation instincts, etc.) and some eventually end up CTB'ing.

So even if someone who was living a great life (not the average normie) but someone with everything handed down to them and/or otherwise really privileged (have their needs met more than adequately, have all or almost all wants met, and more), as far as the universe if concerned, sentience is fickle and always subject to one event from disaster, be it an accident, illness, or tragedy that would upend their enjoyable, tolerable life. Of course most people including normies never think about it as mentioned earlier, ignorance is bliss and as long as they don't have to confront the truth and reality of things in life, they can just go on living as nothing happens (until it does), let alone those who are extremely privileged. No matter who one is, sentience (life itself) is indeed a house of cards, also precariously set to collapse at a moment's notice.

As for people like us, pro-choicers and most members of SaSu, we see sentience for what it is and we behave differently, think differently, and interpret it differently. Having this realization that sentience is like a house of cards, it allows us (pro-choicers, myself included) to see things very differently, and make decisions that are more sound and rational in the grand scheme of things. For myself, being a cynic, being somewhat nihilistic about life and a pro-choicer, I realize that how sentience can be really fickle and just because today (and in the interim possibly) things are stable or tolerable, this doesn't mean that it will remain that way forever. I (and all sentient beings) am only one disaster away from suffering immensely which means that subconsciously and even consciously I am aware of that reality, which is why I never valued life as some sacred thing or some gift. It is rather a fickle state that has endless potential for infinite suffering for as long as one is sentient, until one's death (which is the cessation of suffering and sentience itself).

For us, we try to bide out time and make the most out of what we have, knowing that things can easily collapse and more suffering. Some of us, especially those who are serious, even seek out methods (ideally reliable and peaceful ones, but at the minimum, reliable enough) so that if one day the house of cards do collapse, we would (hopefully) be able to go on our own terms and minimize our time suffering the aftermath of the collapse of the house of cards.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: LifeQuitter, Forever Sleep and Plato'sCaveDweller
SilentSadness

SilentSadness

Vultures circle overhead
Feb 28, 2023
Sadly you're correct, and it's mostly other people who make it collapse out of indifference or spite.