A

Anotherlastchance2

Sep 18, 2024
Today, 15:33

Swiss police arrest people after death of woman in 'suicide capsule'

Swiss police have arrested several people after the death of a woman in a suicide capsule developed in the Netherlands. Among them, according to the Volkskrant, is also a photographer from the newspaper, who follows the case.

The woman died yesterday in the Schaffhausen area and was the first person to die in the capsule filled with nitrogen gas, reports the Volkskrant. According to the Swiss Minister of Health, the use of the capsule is illegal.

The death of the 64-year-old American woman was confirmed to the Volkskrant by Philip Nitschke, an Australian doctor living in the Netherlands. He invented the capsule and is known as a champion in the field of the right to self-determination. He worked for years on the development of this 3D-printed capsule called Sarco.

When the woman died, Florian Willet, director of The Last Resort, the Swiss organization that supervised the process, was present. He informed the Swiss police after her death. Police have also confirmed her death.

The woman would have been walking around with a wish to die for "at least two years", she says in a recording that the Volkskrant listened to. She would have been diagnosed with a serious illness that made her in a lot of pain. She also says in the recording that her two sons are completely behind it and that this is her decision.

Not according to the law

The capsule stood in a forest in the canton of Schaffhausen, near the German border. The choice of Switzerland as a place to die was not accidental; it is one of the few countries where assisted suicide is allowed under certain conditions.

But Swiss Health Minister Elisabeth Baume-Schneider said yesterday that the Sarco does not comply with the law. Supervisor Swissmedic found early last month that the capsule is not a medical device. It has yet to be determined which legislation applies to the capsule.

"Admittedly, Switzerland is one of the few countries where assisted suicide is allowed and the country has a 'tradition' with different end-of-life clinics, there are also a lot of guarantees that must be met there", says professor of health law Martin Buijsen of Erasmus University.

In the Netherlands, assisted suicide, often by family members, always leads to prosecution, although due to the circumstances, a suspended sentence is often given.

Seized

In addition to the Volkskrant photographer, director Willet of The Last Resort may have been arrested, according to the newspaper. The Sarco used was confiscated by the police. IMG 0381

• Informative
  • Aww..
Reactions: Lintaga, Forever Sleep, Dr Iron Arc and 3 others
J

justpathetic

Pathetic
Sep 15, 2024
I want to preface my statement by saying personally I'm all for suicide on demand for those who want it under their own volition. (Not forced or coerced). However until that time if you don't want to be arrested you have to follow the law where you are. The sarco received a lot of press. I don't know why they didn't follow the law (i.e. medical device as stated in article). It may be those involved were willing to break the law (i.e. Dr. Kavorkian U.S.). I hope these people are released with no issue.

Reactions: Lintaga, Praestat_Mori, J&L383 and 1 other person
_AllCatsAreGrey_

_AllCatsAreGrey_

(they/he)
Mar 4, 2024
For those unfamiliar with the project, here is the timeline of its development:

• Love
Reactions: Lintaga and reallysleepy
lifelite

lifelite

Dec 8, 2023
The capsule stood in a forest in the canton of Schaffhausen, near the German border.
Surprised me it wasn't in a clinic, but that's just even better! Die in a peaceful environment like a forest. Obviously some private land etc. is needed, but yeah, silly me thought it would just sit inside of a clinic. Certainly happy about the nature part

Reactions: Lintaga
J

J&L383

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
I want to preface my statement by saying personally I'm all for suicide on demand for those who want it under their own volition. (Not forced or coerced). However until that time if you don't want to be arrested you have to follow the law where you are. The sarco received a lot of press. I don't know why they didn't follow the law (i.e. medical device as stated in article). It may be those involved were willing to break the law (i.e. Dr. Kavorkian U.S.). I hope these people are released with no issue.
I think it's not clear what if any laws were broken, the device preceded any applicable laws, perhaps. But they (the authorities) felt they had to do something instead of just letting it go. They probably won't be held very long, but they'll probably hold the Sarco for as long as they can!

Reactions: Lintaga
J

justpathetic

Pathetic
Sep 15, 2024
I think it's not clear what if any laws were broken, the device preceded any applicable laws, perhaps. But they (the authorities) felt they had to do something instead of just letting it go. They probably won't be held very long, but they'll probably hold the Sarco for as long as they can!
It says that the Swiss government doesn't consider the pod a medical device so its not protected under the law.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Thank you for posting this. I was curious as to why arrests had been made in a country where assisted suicide is legal.

Not a medical device. Hmmmm. Presumably, her condition must have been assessed by doctors though. But, I guess these sorts of things have to follow the specifics of the law. I'm surprised they weren't more careful to be honest. You think they would have fully researched the legal side of things. The poor photographer! All I imagine they did was to show up to report on it.

Thing is- I think in many cases, Nembutal isn't administered by a doctor. The patient either chooses to drink it or not. So- beyond the origin of the method, how different are they really? It's the patient that makes the final decision in both cases. Presumably, she had her doctor's support.

This kind of thing just annoys me though. It makes it obvious that they want to keep the power over life and death strictly kept in the medical arena. Well- screw that. I don't intend to wait to be in so much incurable pain that 3 doctors agree that my life is shit enough to gain their assistance to leave it! Why should they have so much control over our lives? I'm not saying it should be available to all, no questions asked. I recognise the need for strict regulation and assesment to prevent impulsive attempts and even coercion/ murder but it pisses me off doctors have all that power over our lives.

• Love
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov and katagiri83
A

Asleepatlast

Sep 12, 2024
Thank you for posting this. I was curious as to why arrests had been made in a country where assisted suicide is legal.

Not a medical device. Hmmmm. Presumably, her condition must have been assessed by doctors though. But, I guess these sorts of things have to follow the specifics of the law. I'm surprised they weren't more careful to be honest. You think they would have fully researched the legal side of things. The poor photographer! All I imagine they did was to show up to report on it.

Thing is- I think in many cases, Nembutal isn't administered by a doctor. The patient either chooses to drink it or not. So- beyond the origin of the method, how different are they really? It's the patient that makes the final decision in both cases. Presumably, she had her doctor's support.

This kind of thing just annoys me though. It makes it obvious that they want to keep the power over life and death strictly kept in the medical arena. Well- screw that. I don't intend to wait to be in so much incurable pain that 3 doctors agree that my life is shit enough to gain their assistance to leave it! Why should they have so much control over our lives? I'm not saying it should be available to all, no questions asked. I recognise the need for strict regulation and assesment to prevent impulsive attempts and even coercion/ murder but it pisses me off doctors have all that power over our lives.
I suspect and I hope they are pushing the envelope.

Reactions: Forever Sleep