21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
Hi all,

recently my therapist mentioned that I have a borderline personality. I'm displaying nearly every symptom of a borderline personality disorder appearantly. Looking at the list of symptoms myself, I guess I understand the conclusion. But I'm terrified by the idea of 'being borderline' - I always thought I was just slightly depressed and in a way that was comforting because there's lots of people in the media with depression who achieve things and do fine in life. But borderline, in my experience there's a much more negative stigma around it. Everytime I've heard someone speak of someone else with borderline personality disorder it's been negative. Moreover, I hate how my mood changes everytime I communicate with someone else and I don't want to have this for the rest of my life. I'm hoping someone with bpd will talk to me and tell me something about their experiences.

thanks for reading

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: bunnies, Circles, mediocre and 2 others
Painpleasure

Painpleasure

Student
Apr 9, 2019
Take it easy mate. I have BPD too. The only benefit I have derived from it is channeling my often intense pain into productive exercise sessions.

Reactions: bunnies and SuiSqueeze92
littlemisssunshine

littlemisssunshine

Feb 19, 2020
I have BPD and I'm happy to talk :) Think there's lots of us on here. :)

I try and ignore the stigma as much as possible. There are usually really complex and dark reasons we ended up with this diagnosis and the stigma isn't helpful. The reasons we ended up with BPD are often involve being hurt and abused by other people. BPD is just our coping mechanism. Not much focus is put on the reasons for BPD and it's just all focused on how dangerous and volatile bpders are which is such a sweeping generalisation - a lot of us are not a danger to others, just to ourselves.

I very rarely tell anyone about my diagnosis but it's a personal thing.

:heart:

Reactions: bunnies and 21Neberg
BlackPoppet

BlackPoppet

Wise woman and Celtic sky person
Mar 7, 2020
Yes I'd be willing to talk about my BPD ...for sure!
Pm me if you like. Or I can discuss it on here. On this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: bunnies
SuiSqueeze92

SuiSqueeze92

Self Saboteur
Jan 15, 2020
Take it easy mate. I have BPD too. The only benefit I have derived from it is channeling my often intense pain into productive exercise sessions.

Never thought of it like that, but yeah when you do channel it (if you can because I'm usually all over the place during a bad episode) it can be somewhat of a good thing if you can see it as such.

I've been on a shitload of meds from Zoloft to Haldol, I see everyone has the "life" questions covered at least, so if you're curious about that, lemme know!

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
But I'm terrified by the idea of 'being borderline'

I would say to not take on the label as your identity. It is descriptive of a group of behaviors, it is not who you are. With any diagnosis, I say that have it, not that I am it. It's called person first language. I will correct a mental health practitioner in a heartbeat. No one who has cancer is called cancer, they don't say "I'm cancer," the doctor doesn't say, "Here's the diagnosis, you're cancer." I would say to use the diagnosis as a tool to serve you and help you to better understand how you developed coping skills as a result of having your boundaries repeatedly disrespected, disregarded, and overriden during your developmental years, not as an identity or a label.

• Love
Reactions: littlemisssunshine, Brink and BlackPoppet
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
I also have BPD. I'd be willing to talk. Remember though at the end of the day that disorders are just a bunch of symptoms. Don't let it define you. You have BPD, you aren't BPD :)

Reactions: littlemisssunshine and BlackPoppet
BlackPoppet

BlackPoppet

Mar 7, 2020
I would say to not take on the label as your identity. It is descriptive of a group of behaviors, it is not who you are. With any diagnosis, I say that have it, not that I am it. It's called person first language. I will correct a mental health practitioner in a heartbeat. No one who has cancer is called cancer, they don't say "I'm cancer," the doctor doesn't say, "Here's the diagnosis, you're cancer." I would say to use the diagnosis as a tool to serve you and help you to better understand how you developed coping skills as a result of having your boundaries repeatedly disrespected, disregarded, and overriden during your developmental years, not as an identity or a label.
I second this! Brilliant comment and so true. There are so many more aspects to a person with BPD than the BPD. People are so much more! I don't let BPD be my everything and I don't let it define me! I was there before it, and I'll be there regardless of it!

• Love
Reactions: Brink and GoodPersonEffed
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
You are not the disorder. People with borderline are still unique individuals. You just happen to have learned ineffective life coping skills. It's a devastating condition to have and can vary in severity. You can be an extrovert or introvert borderline. It is an emotional disability.

• Love
Reactions: bunnies, GoodPersonEffed and BlackPoppet
BlackPoppet

BlackPoppet

Mar 7, 2020
You are not the disorder. People with borderline are still unique individuals. You just happen to have learned ineffective life coping skills. It's a devastating condition to have and can vary in severity. You can be an extrovert or introvert borderline. It is an emotional disability.
Yes I totally agree!!

Reactions: Final Escape
21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
Thank you for the wise words, you're very right in what you say. Excuse me for saying it wrong.
And all the others who have dropped kind messages in this thread, @Painpleasure @littlemisssunshine @BlackPoppet @SuiSqueeze92 @liesgreedmisery @Squiddy @Final Escape I am very appreciative of your messages. They are very kind and although I am very sorry that all of you are suffering, or at least experiencing some issues, it does comfort me knowing there's others out there. I geniunely hope all of you will experience better days soon.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GoBack, SuiSqueeze92 and GoodPersonEffed