WinterFaust

WinterFaust

Shimmer
Apr 13, 2020
It's been since the end of December/early January for me. To be honest, it's been disheartening, that and the other myriad of health issues... Is anyone else dealing with any hearing loss?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Fragile and KleinerWolf
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
Yup, since I was born as part of the congenital ear birth defects.
I have next to minimal hearing on my left side but my right side is normal.

"Dissociation" was part of my coping mechanism
and I don't really see it as part of me.

It's kinda sad and unhealthy but it's also very effective coping.
For me at least.

• Hugs
Reactions: WinterFaust
Shinbu

Shinbu

Shiki
Nov 23, 2019
Yup. I value my ears a lot. I like to use them for music, and going deaf would be a nightmare to me, I couldn't live with that if that happened to me.

• Hugs
Reactions: KleinerWolf and WinterFaust
WinterFaust

WinterFaust

Shimmer
Apr 13, 2020
Yup, since I was born as part of the congenital ear birth defects.
I have next to minimal hearing on my left side but my right side is normal.

"Dissociation" was part of my coping mechanism
and I don't really see it as part of me.

It's kinda sad and unhealthy but it's also very effective coping.
For me at least.

Oh wow. I mean, it may not have been the healthiest but it got you through, right? I'm the complete opposite. Everything going on with me is a reflection of me. I was never able to separate myself from any issue I had, even in a healthy way. Caused lots of breakdowns.

My hearing loss is bilateral with the right being a little worse. I'm not sure what's causing it as my hearing was fine until the start of the year but it sucks.

Yup. I value my ears a lot. I like to use them for music, and going deaf would be a nightmare to me, I couldn't live with that if that happened to me.

Ah, yeah. Music is quite lovely but I rarely listen to it now. I can still hear a good deal of it but there are obvious missing frequencies.

I've had a few people tell me they'd ctb if they lost any hearing. I understand but it's also a pretty isolating feeling.

KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
Oh wow. I mean, it may not have been the healthiest but it got you through, right? I'm the complete opposite. Everything going on with me is a reflection of me. I was never able to separate myself from any issue I had, even in a healthy way. Caused lots of breakdowns.

My hearing loss is bilateral with the right being a little worse. I'm not sure what's causing it as my hearing was fine until the start of the year but it sucks.

I think dissociation coping mechanism can work for some people if there is no better alternatives.
I'm not complaining.
Rather ignore the problems completely if there is no way for me to change it.

Have you had a chance to go to a professional to look into what might be the cause for your hearing loss?
Mine was congenital so there were no explanation as expected.

Reactions: Shinbu
Shinbu

Shinbu

Shiki
Nov 23, 2019

Ah, yeah. Music is quite lovely but I rarely listen to it now. I can still hear a good deal of it but there are obvious missing frequencies.

I've had a few people tell me they'd ctb if they lost any hearing. I understand but it's also a pretty isolating feeling.
I think my left ear is more worse than my right. It sux, and it was my fault because I had my headphones very loud as a habit when I was younger.

Reactions: KleinerWolf
WinterFaust

WinterFaust

Shimmer
Apr 13, 2020
I think dissociation coping mechanism can work for some people if there is no better alternatives.
I'm not complaining.
Rather ignore the problems completely if there is no way for me to change it.

Have you had a chance to go to a professional to look into what might be the cause for your hearing loss?
Mine was congenital so there were no explanation as expected.

Honestly, not to glorify that at all but, I wish I did something like that rather than nearly become catatonic and more or less starve. Almost anything else would have been preferable but I guess lack of the ability to cope or adjust is part of why I'm here.

I had an ENT look into it. Took forever to get an appointment. He wasn't concerned because I could hear his speaking voice without issue but he did not that I had some unusual inflammation. Offered steroids and said to come back for a hearing test if the issue didn't clear up. So, if I manage to not impulsively CTB, I'll see him as soon as I can. I think it may have to do with insufficient blood flow to my ears but who knows?

I'm sorry they can't figure it out the cause of yours. Damn. Do you use anything like hearing aids to help?

I think my left ear is more worse than my right. It sux, and it was my fault because I had my headphones very loud as a habit when I was younger.

That does suck. Is it mild?

Last edited:
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
Honestly, not to glorify that at all but, I wish I did something like that rather than nearly become catatonic and more or less starve. Almost anything else would have been preferable but I guess lack of the ability to cope or adjust is part of why I'm here.

I had an ENT look into it. Took forever to get an appointment. He wasn't concerned because I could hear his speaking voice without issue but he did not that I had some unusual inflammation. Offered steroids and said to come back for a hearing test if the issue didn't clear up. So, if I manage to not impulsively CTB, I'll see him as soon as I can. I think it may have to do with insufficient blood flow to my ears but who knows?

Yeah. Those kinda stuff are a bit intangible to figure out on our own.
I hope you have the specifics figure out once you are able to do so.
:hug:

• Hugs
Shinbu

Shinbu

Shiki
Nov 23, 2019

I'm sorry they can't figure it out the cause of yours. Damn. Do you use anything like hearing aids to help?

That does suck. Is it mild?
Yeah, nothing serious, but you can tell if you were me. Kinda random to mention, but my favorite singer is deaf in one ear if I can remember, and she struggled with her mental health because of it.

Last edited:
WinterFaust

WinterFaust

Shimmer
Apr 13, 2020
Yeah. Those kinda stuff are a bit intangible to figure out on our own.
I hope you have the specifics figure out once you are able to do so.
:hug:

Thank you, I hope so too.

Yeah, nothing serious, but you can tell if you were me. Kinda random to mention, but my favorite singer is deaf in one ear if I can remember, and she struggled with her mental health because of it.

Any loss of hearing that's noticeable is kind of distressing. And aww, can I ask who she is? Tbh, I feel her. I'm not coping well to this on top of everything else. I want to hear the fullness of a new OST that everyone is talking about. But I know I'm missing some things and I feel left out and alone.

Shinbu

Shinbu

Shiki
Nov 23, 2019
Thank you, I hope so too.

Any loss of hearing that's noticeable is kind of distressing. And aww, can I ask who she is? Tbh, I feel her. I'm not coping well to this on top of everything else. I want to hear the fullness of a new OST that everyone is talking about. But I know I'm missing some things and I feel left out and alone.
She is popular in Japan. Her name is Ayumi Hamasaki or 浜崎あゆみ .I'm not sure of her genre, but to try to explain on how her music sounds like i would say it sounds like electronic music most of the time, and most of her works can be catchy, or emotional. Her childhood biography is interesting, apparently when she was a teenager she liked being alone, I can relate to that. Poker Face, You, Evolution is one of my favorites, and apparently it's her left ear where she is deaf.

Last edited:
  • Love
Sabriel

Sabriel

for in that sleep of death what dreams may come
Jul 23, 2019
Yes, I've had worsening tinnitus and I suspect it's lead to some anhedonia when it comes to enjoying music the same way that I used to.

• Hugs
WinterFaust

WinterFaust

Shimmer
Apr 13, 2020
She is popular in Japan. Her name is Ayumi Hamasaki or 浜崎あゆみ .I'm not sure of her genre, but to try to explain on how her music sounds like i would say it sounds like electronic music most of the time, and most of her works can be catchy, or emotional. Her childhood biography is interesting, apparently when she was a teenager she liked being alone, I can relate to that. Poker Face, You, Evolution is one of my favorites, and apparently it's her left ear where she is deaf.

I really like her voice and she's gorgeous! Oh no, she's losing her hearing in her good ear as well. How awful...
Yes, I've had worsening tinnitus and I suspect it's lead to some anhedonia when it comes to enjoying music the same way that I used to.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I have tinnitus as a result of my hearing loss but it's thankfully mild at this point. But I certainly relate to not enjoying music the same. I often don't listen to music at all anymore because it's just not the same. I'm really sorry that any of us have to deal with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shinbu
Shinbu

Shinbu

Shiki
Nov 23, 2019
I really like her voice and she's gorgeous! Oh no, she's losing her hearing in her good ear as well. How awful...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I have tinnitus as a result of my hearing loss but it's thankfully mild at this point. But I certainly relate to not enjoying music the same. I often don't listen to music at all anymore because it's just not the same. I'm really sorry that any of us have to deal with this.
I'm not sure if you are familiar with Lady Gaga, but the two met before, there was a video of it, but I can't find it sadly. Yeah she is gorgeous.

Last edited: