V

V0latile

And God decreed, “Coronavirus spread forth!”
Sep 24, 2019
"Whether it was now or 20 years from now, i'd still be the one dying."

In light of that, delaying ctb seems pointless.

Reactions: Venessolotic, Iwanttooffmyself, Null84 and 1 other person
PwincessStepford

PwincessStepford

I wish I were a princess.
Dec 31, 2019
Nah, I prefer Nietzsche to Camus

But, I do wonder if delaying the inevitable is futile or not.

L

LivingToLong

Experienced
Feb 23, 2019
Not "inspired", no. How can one be inspired by someone who seems to have no real inspiration himself? :wink:

But I can certainly relate to his apparent apathy, his sense of distance and alienation, of disassociation. I can sometimes see people as playing some odd kind of game that I do not quite understand and it leaves me feeling alone and somewhat baffled. It sometimes feels that I could do anything, because it doesn't matter, there is no real purpose or point to anything we do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Venessolotic, MiserableBastard1995 and Epsilon0
WhyIsLife56

WhyIsLife56

Antinatalism + Efilism ❤️
Nov 4, 2019
From what I've read on Reddit, Camus was anti-suicide. (thinks living is rebelling instead of suicide) If I had to be inspired I'd be inspired by Sarah Perry (Every Cradle is a Grave) or Thomas Ligotti(The Conspiracy against the human race)

Reactions: Venessolotic
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
There is very little inspiration to be found in Camus' novel. Camus was trying to make a point about the absurdity and randomness of the norms which govern our lives. The book is less about the main character's aloofness and imperviousness, and more about the cruelty of an intolerant society who punishes anyone not willing to blindly obey its absurd rules.

So, no, I am not inspired by the poor guy. His extreme inability to ape other people's behaviours in society ultimately led him to be executed. If anything, I pity him. I am not sure he was happier or suffered less thanks to his extreme detachment. In my opinion he is a heart-breaking, cautionary example: fall in line, or be crucified.

• Love
Reactions: MiserableBastard1995, Null84, LivingToLong and 1 other person
L

LivingToLong

Experienced
Feb 23, 2019
Camus was trying to make a point about the absurdity and randomness of the norms which govern our lives.

Random, arbitrary and, yes, absurd - they'd certainly be words I'd use. I see what we do sometimes, the way we all play the same game and I can't help but wonder why. Even those that rebel are simply reinforcing the rules, certainly acknowledging them. And if you are an 'outsider' then you're the greatest danger of all - someone who doesn't play the game.

Reactions: MiserableBastard1995 and Epsilon0
V

V0latile

And God decreed, “Coronavirus spread forth!”
Sep 24, 2019
Random, arbitrary and, yes, absurd - they'd certainly be words I'd use. I see what we do sometimes, the way we all play the same game and I can't help but wonder why. Even those that rebel are simply reinforcing the rules, certainly acknowledging them. And if you are an 'outsider' then you're the greatest danger of all - someone who doesn't play the game.

In what ways would a person be a non-player?

L

LivingToLong

Experienced
Feb 23, 2019
In what ways would a person be a non-player?
Good question. A psychopath would be an extreme example. Someone that doesn't recognise, or respect, or even see the rules of society.

Reactions: PwincessStepford
Jean4

Jean4

Remember. I am ALWAYS right.... until I’m not
Apr 28, 2019
He is one of my favorites. I have his quotes on my page here lol.

L

LivingToLong

Experienced
Feb 23, 2019
Ah yes, psychopaths are the true rebels! Of course, one shouldn't worship them nor aspire to be one. Society has rules (commonly agreed by some silent and hidden means, if not codified) for a reason, as tedious and arbitrary as that might seem.

Sorry, been watching too much 'Mindhunter'!!