Jacket

Jacket

Oct 13, 2021
I did a three year apprenticeship for an office-job I'm currently doing. I can almost overlook the low pay and having to deal with rude customers, but the real problem are the people I have to work with.
The co-workers love to talk shit about peoples backs and then act all shocked and insulted when I don't want to join them for a BS company dinner. With the bosses you can tell that they just used to be school bullies who never grew out of it. Fat 50-somethings who are actively searching for the most minor mistake to make the next huge deal out of, constantly harassing their employees, being extremely rude and condescending, just assholes making everyone around them miserable. I also had to listen to a tirade or two because I didn't want to disclose personal information.
One day I just had enough so I wrote a letter of resignation to my superior, but the next day I called them to call it back. Not because I want to continue working there, I just figured since I'll leave anyway, I might as well take as much holiday and sick leave as I can to milk them for money. I know it might be morally questionable to some, but let's just call it compensation for having to deal with those assholes and their budget is beyond good and evil anyway, it's not some small mom&pop shop I'm hurting. Surprisingly enough, while calling and explaining my reasons to leave, the superior said that they heard it several times and are aware of how messed up things at my branch are. That's somewhat reassuring to hear I guess.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Huntfish34, 710, waitingforrest and 1 other person
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
Any drug addicts in the workplace ? That is real hard to deal with

onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable 💔 Rest in peace CommitSudoku 🤍
Mar 11, 2022
I understand you perfectly. I started at my first job in my field last year and have been there for 1 year and 1 month now. One of the reasons I started to lose my mental health was precisely the job, since they treat people badly there and we work 45 hours a week. I don't like the work itself either, it's boring, and the people are also almost all mean and stingy. The only positive thing is really the salary. So I couldn't take it anymore and I went on medical leave for a month. And I tried to get a new job during that month but the depression doesn't help either. I am currently waiting for an answer and unfortunately I will have to go back to my old job but I hope it will only be for a short time and that I will be able to change jobs. Moral of the story, nothing justifies losing your mental health, nothing at all. A job is just a job, there are many. If we are not doing well in the job we are in we should change and not put it off. I regret having stayed so long in this job, certainly if I had left after 3 or 4 months of working there my mental health would not have reached what it did. Of course there are other reasons but it would have made a difference.

Now what I didn't get from your story, are you unemployed or not? Are you always going to get the vacation?

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: 710, Jacket, Crazy4u and 1 other person
yeh it's all gucci

yeh it's all gucci

I only care about cats eating corn on the cob.
Mar 4, 2022
No, I like my job and my coworkers, but unfortunately I will probably have to quit soon due to health reasons, and a back problem that I have. I'm pretty sad about it as it's good money and hours and idk what else I would do.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood and Crazy4u
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
Same case here, management only did nothing but stand around. I hated having to stand for hours till my feet hurt. Not to mention the amount of rude customers.

I also disliked my co-workers, they would put in the least amount of effort in order to get by.

I started to not give a shit about my performance, didn't matter anyways. We had people quiting every week because of the management, putting more workload on the rest of us.

It's like a rule. Once someone gets into a position of power, they turn into a**holes.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Huntfish34, onlyanimalsaregood and Crazy4u
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
My coworkers are ok, I never hang out with anyone from work but they are ok to work with. The job is total Dilbert land but the pay is good and the insurance is good so I stick around, been 30 years now. Yep it's sucked my mental health down and if I knew what I wanted to do I'd be happier but it is what it is. Not going to be there forever, since I do have an expiration date. I have a pretty good ability to ignore people who bug me. If they stopped paying I'd be gone that day so it's not a "career" or one of those "love your job never have to work . . . " deals.

Reactions: 710, onlyanimalsaregood and Crazy4u
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
My coworkers are ok, I never hang out with anyone from work but they are ok to work with. The job is total Dilbert land but the pay is good and the insurance is good so I stick around, been 30 years now. Yep it's sucked my mental health down and if I knew what I wanted to do I'd be happier but it is what it is. Not going to be there forever, since I do have an expiration date. I have a pretty good ability to ignore people who bug me. If they stopped paying I'd be gone that day so it's not a "career" or one of those "love your job never have to work . . . " deals.

Haha.. dilbert land

If they ever run out of jobs that aren't dilbert land I will surely CTB.

Reactions: Huntfish34
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
People used to put up Dilbert cartoons in the breakroom until someone took it a bit personally and we were "gently" warned not to do it anymore.

Jacket

Jacket

Oct 13, 2021
Now what I didn't get from your story, are you unemployed or not? Are you always going to get the vacation?
No, I still work there for now. Vacations have to be applied for well in advance, but back then I was forward thinking enough to put them all in the first half of the year. When it comes to taking time off, I will just get sick leave whenever they start messing with me. I got a doc who's quick to give it to you and I visit him for depression on and off since 2015 or something, so I don't have to explain myself too much.

• Hugs
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable 💔 Rest in peace CommitSudoku 🤍
Mar 11, 2022
No, I still work there for now. Vacations have to be applied for well in advance, but back then I was forward thinking enough to put them all in the first half of the year. When it comes to taking time off, I will just get sick leave whenever they start messing with me. I got a doc who's quick to give it to you and I visit him for depression on and off since 2015 or something, so I don't have to explain myself too much.
Yes, that's good. It was the same thing I did. You're thinking right. So until the vacations come, hang in there as best you can, I know it's not easy :)

Reactions: Huntfish34