potatoeater

potatoeater

Oct 22, 2020
What's even the point? I'm in a PhD program (but about to get kicked out pretty soon because I'm so useless lol), and I just keep wondering - what's the point? Why put myself through this much distress and emotional turmoil? I'm not really going to amount to anything, I can barely remember what I read a day ago, what the fuck was I thinking applying for a fucking PhD when I honestly believe I have swiss cheese for brains? I'm not gonna become prominent in my field, I'm not going to get a good job after and I'm going to be miserable no matter what I end up doing so what is the point?

I had a low-level admin job that I was doing before I started my PhD, and while it bored me to tears, at least I knew that it was what I deserved and needed - the very bare minimum. I'm going to end up at a minimum wage job anyways after I'm kicked out, so why even bother with this? Not like I'm going to be around long enough to have done anything with a doctorate, even if I was smart enough to earn one.

So really, why do beyond the absolute minimum?

• Hugs
Reactions: Ghost2211, Ber0 and demuic
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
Because the absolute minimum doesn't earn you enough to live comfortably. Minimum wage jobs don't pay the bills. Unless you work 3 of them and can get by on 2 hours of sleep per day.

• Hugs
Reactions: Initiated, Ghost2211 and Spitfire
Ber0

Ber0

Quiet
Dec 27, 2020
What's even the point? I'm in a PhD program (but about to get kicked out pretty soon because I'm so useless lol), and I just keep wondering - what's the point? Why put myself through this much distress and emotional turmoil? I'm not really going to amount to anything, I can barely remember what I read a day ago, what the fuck was I thinking applying for a fucking PhD when I honestly believe I have swiss cheese for brains? I'm not gonna become prominent in my field, I'm not going to get a good job after and I'm going to be miserable no matter what I end up doing so what is the point?

I had a low-level admin job that I was doing before I started my PhD, and while it bored me to tears, at least I knew that it was what I deserved and needed - the very bare minimum. I'm going to end up at a minimum wage job anyways after I'm kicked out, so why even bother with this? Not like I'm going to be around long enough to have done anything with a doctorate, even if I was smart enough to earn one.

Can I ask what the PhD is in if you don't mind?

Reactions: Ghost2211
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020

Only if you want to because the reward for trying is.... it is up to you. The reward as well as everything else is an illusion, if you ask me.

Reactions: Ghost2211 and demuic
W

Willdieby30

recently unbanned
Aug 21, 2018

if you're out of your depth, then maybe it's not right for you, but the idea is finding a sense of belonging. for me, i know that is not where i live now, and i do the best i can to leave the hell hole i am in

• Hugs
Reactions: Ghost2211 and Spitfire