Bleak Stoic

Bleak Stoic

Goodbye, Cruel World.
Dec 22, 2019
I have mild FASD because my mom drank alcohol and did drugs while whe was carrying me. Later in life I also got a traumatic brain injury which apparently changed my personality, so ive been told.

Sometimes I wonder how my life would be now if those things hadn't happened. Would I be smart enough to go to college? Or get a good paying job? Guess I'll never know. Amongst being unable to do those things, I'm pretty sure they're the reason I'm so fucked up in the head now.

But anyways... I was just wondering if anyone else here had brain injuries, and how it effects you. Major depression, cognitive impairment, and negative personality changes are very regular outcomes of head injuries. So I often wonder how many others feeling suicidal have had a brain injury in the past.

• Hugs
Reactions: mediocre and cosmicpixiedust
cosmicpixiedust

cosmicpixiedust

Pixie
Jun 5, 2019
I have no medical proof, but I have at least some brain damage from abusing a really, really stupid otc drug back in high school every day for nine months. I have short term and long term memory problems, I am often discovering new cognitive issues, I have a hard time forming thoughts into words (So yeah deep conversations are hard for me when they used to be so easy), I used to be really good at writing and now because of this I rarely can do so, oh and a crap ton of my childhood memories/a lot of memories leading up to that time are gone. And I mean I'm sure I wasn't the most emotionally and mentally stable person before, but I know doing that junk sure didn't help.

I also used to and sometimes still do have a bad habit of beating my head into things so that probably doesn't help since a lot of those times concrete and trees might have been involved.

• Hugs
Reactions: mediocre, Partial-Elf and Bleak Stoic
N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018
Went in unconsciousness two times. "There are many little things everywhere" on my electro encephalogram. And i have very good reasons to think i'm bipolar 1/2, most likely 2, living in constant mania and suppressed rush for adrenaline, combined with Incredible loss of memories.

Reactions: Partial-Elf and Bleak Stoic
Bleak Stoic

Bleak Stoic

Goodbye, Cruel World.
Dec 22, 2019
I have no medical proof, but I have at least some brain damage from abusing a really, really stupid otc drug back in high school every day for nine months. I have short term and long term memory problems, I am often discovering new cognitive issues, I have a hard time forming thoughts into words (So yeah deep conversations are hard for me when they used to be so easy), I used to be really good at writing and now because of this I rarely can do so, oh and a crap ton of my childhood memories/a lot of memories leading up to that time are gone. And I mean I'm sure I wasn't the most emotionally and mentally stable person before, but I know doing that junk sure didn't help.

I also used to and sometimes still do have a bad habit of beating my head into things so that probably doesn't help since a lot of those times concrete and trees might have been involved.
Was it DXM? I hear nmda antagonists can cause brain damage.

Reactions: cosmicpixiedust
cosmicpixiedust

cosmicpixiedust

Pixie
Jun 5, 2019
Was it DXM? I hear nmda antagonists can cause brain damage.

Technically if it were just DXM it would have been more or less fine (DXM by itself isn't that bad), but yeah it was. I did between 40-70 triple c's a day for 9 months (the last time was actually 94 cause I wanted to go out with a bang, didn't trip at all but two friends did. They were ODing and I was just fine amazingly, or we would have all died that night.) Unfortunately, there's not a lot of studies done on this drug since it's so newly abused. It definitely does cause damage though, that's for sure. I read one study I found a few years ago that said that taking an excess like we did can cause bleeds and water retention on the brain during abuse (which is definitely not surprising).

Yaaaaaaay for teenage idiocy! :'D

Bleak Stoic

Bleak Stoic

Goodbye, Cruel World.
Dec 22, 2019
Technically if it were just DXM it would have been more or less fine (DXM by itself isn't that bad), but yeah it was. I did between 40-70 triple c's a day for 9 months (the last time was actually 94 cause I wanted to go out with a bang, didn't trip at all but two friends did. They were ODing and I was just fine amazingly, or we would have all died that night.) Unfortunately, there's not a lot of studies done on this drug since it's so newly abused. It definitely does cause damage though, that's for sure. I read one study I found a few years ago that said that taking an excess like we did can cause bleeds and water retention on the brain during abuse (which is definitely not surprising).

Yaaaaaaay for teenage idiocy! :'D
Damn... that sucks bro. You should definitely see a neurologist to see what the damage is.

Went in unconsciousness two times. "There are many little things everywhere" on my electro encephalogram. And i have very good reasons to think i'm bipolar 1/2, most likely 2, living in constant mania and suppressed rush for adrenaline, combined with Incredible loss of memories.
There is a very strong correlation now between brain injury and psychiatric disorders. Do you believe this could be the cause of your bipolar?

The research is new, but neuroscientists now are able to scan people's brains in fMRI's and very reliably diagnose what thier psychiatric illness is based on the part of the brain that has been damaged.

Merith

Merith

Oct 24, 2019
Not life altering, but brain damage following a car accident and subsequent coma.

• Hugs
Reactions: Bleak Stoic
cosmicpixiedust

cosmicpixiedust

Pixie
Jun 5, 2019
Damn... that sucks bro. You should definitely see a neurologist to see what the damage is.

Yeah, I really should but unfortunately I don't have insurance. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for case studies, though.

Bleak Stoic

Bleak Stoic

Goodbye, Cruel World.
Dec 22, 2019
Not life altering, but brain damage following a car accident and subsequent coma.
That's good, hope you're doin alright.

Yeah, I really should but unfortunately I don't have insurance. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for case studies, though.
I suppose if it isn't immediately life threatening I'd be putting it off as well. Depending on what country you live in the waiting list to see a neurologist is sometimes very long.

N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018

There is a very strong correlation now between brain injury and psychiatric disorders. Do you believe this could be the cause of your bipolar?

The research is new, but neuroscientists now are able to scan people's brains in fMRI's and very reliably diagnose what thier psychiatric illness is based on the part of the brain that has been damaged.
Ya, definately there is something wrong or different with my brain, so why not have mental illnes. Most of the time i like it, i'm good in math, make money with it, don't depend on anyone's desigions and basicly can have or do whatever i want, without the consecuences others have to pay. Got tired of beeing too carefull and now i'm contantly maxing out my activities and potential, realizing i can crash any moment for good. It's been 2-3 months in a roll and i'm still here. Well, almost every morning i have blood in my nose when i wake up, but this always happens when i speed up and nobody knows about it. If i slow downi a bit will go on deep depresion. Only when i'm driving out town with my kids i slow a bit and eat regulary day or two before that. I know at some point, hope it's years ahead i will crash, and this time will be final, but really can't stand living mediocre. I don't take drugs, and drink alcohol only on rare ocasions. However at some point i took drugs for a week only 2/3 times, and can say that now as my menthal state progresses i'm most of the time naturaly high.
It's very possible for such brain states to progress, as now i have dreams about my past with terrible fake memories, and when i woke up i need at least 30min to prove myself that this events never happened, and a day to distract from inside feelings based on imagination. My brain used to make errors with memories, but not on that level. Well now it does.