GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
There is always a lot of discussion on the forum about psychiatric labels and individuals' struggles with them. I decided many years ago that psychiatric labels are not identities, but designations of groups of symptoms. They are meant to be a tool, yet they are often used to define an individual, and can lead to discrimination by mental health practitioners, family and friends, and the public. Rather than being called a person with a labeled disorder, people are called -- and sometimes call themselves -- the actual labels, such as "they are"/"I am" bipolar, borderline, schizophrenic, etc.

While diagnostic labels may help to explain things, and even provide the relief of understanding symptoms and behaviors, they can also limit and even imprison a person by defining them and causing them to view themselves and be viewed as someone/something to be judged and separated from, rather than embraced, appreciated, respected, and served with a goal to overcome challenges that are not their fault. Calling someone by a label encourages condemnation and discrimination, as well as self-condemnation and self-discrimination. It is difficult to heal or progress from a place of condemnation.

I'm currently reading the book Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents, written by a psychologist. This quote really stood out to me:

Human emotional immaturity has been studied for a long time. However, over the years it has lost ground to an increasing focus on symptoms and clinical diagnosis, using a medical disease model to quantify behaviors as illnesses suitable for insurance reimbursement.

Please note that I am in no way suggesting anyone here is emotionally immature and needs to start viewing themselves with even more condemnation! My purpose in sharing this quote is to highlight what I put in bold font: the medical disease model, and insurance reimbursement, that is, a kind of psychiatric capitalism.

I often think of how the psychiatric/psychological system works. Many times people talk about chemical imbalances, yet where are the blood or other tests that prove this? If a condition is truly organic and is in the brain, why are people put on drugs rather than first being given brain scans? With the exceptions of vitamin D and thyroid testing, there are in general no diagnostic tests run for the pseudo-medical diagnoses given. Psychiatrists follow the DSM in the US and the ICD in Europe, matching symptoms to lists under diagnostic labels, and very often confirm diagnoses by how individuals respond to medications, not by any kind of scientifically verifiable testing such as scans. And yet, scans can clearly show things like PTSD, schizophrenia, and even sociopathy. Why use diagnostic lists and medicine to rule out certain conditions when many conditions can be proven or disproven by brain scans? It doesn't make sense if the goal is to actually pinpoint root causes of and cure ailments. A true medical model would use medical diagnostic tools.

So if you have been given a label, I empathize that for a time it may be comforting to get some answers, as well as disconcerting because it can impact one's sense of identity. In my own personal experience, as well as grad school studies focusing on mental health advocacy, and having worked in community mental health in an administrative support role, where my closest friends were practitioners, I learned that misdiagnoses are common. For example, it can take ten years for someone with bipolar disorder to get that diagnosis, after following a variety of dead-ends such as ADD, depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, etc.

So-called personality disorders are trauma-based, yet PTSD and related dissociative disorders are poorly described in diagnostic manuals and are usually not the first diagnoses a clinician refers to, and in fact are often dismissed when the patient brings them up. These very disorders require interventions to overcome the root causes and have historically proven resistant to treatment with medications, yet practitioners are more likely to push medications than effective modalities that actually promote healing such as DBT and EMDR. CBT is touted as an effective evidence-based practice, yet it is a cognitive game of sorts which may help some thought patterns, but does not get to the roots of trauma that are not cognitively based, that is, stored in non-cognitive areas of the brain. Even bipolar disorder, a seemingly organic illness, is often later discovered when medications stop working to actually have roots in trauma, and in some is an expression of PTSD and dissociation.

I am conflicted about writing this post. I know first-hand the desire to have answers, and to need relief and support. I know first-hand the pain of psychiatric and psychological ineptitude and abuse in treatment. I used to be such a believer in those models, and it was decades before I recognized I was betrayed by them. I also was fortunate enough to find other therapeutic modalities that freed me from almost all medications, such as EMDR, DBT, and energy psychology protocols, which addressed the root causes of trauma and how it caused maladaptive functioning. I admit I still require occasional support from benzos because, while I have experienced considerable healing and progress, there are times I still need something to help me regulate when the tools I have aren't quite cutting it, and the healing hasn't reached all root causes. So in writing, I am cognizant that not everyone gets opportunities to receive appropriate treatment, and it's fucking unfair. It's also fucking unfair that the system meant to serve is denigrating, abusive, and can cause more damage than the symptoms which brings people to seek its help.

This post doesn't provide any real solutions, only highlights how fundamentally flawed the systems and models are, and by extension, how many of us get screwed. I wish I could do more than highlight such things. I wish I could point to solutions that are widely available to all, and I am angry and frustrated that they are not.

My point in writing this post is to say: a person's identity is not a psychiatric diagnosis or label; the labels serve a model that does not accurately or sufficiently address what people experience, nor the root causes of those experiences; and I am sorry if you are suffering, but at the least, I hope I can help you to not suffer because of a label.

I welcome other perspectives than those I have presented here, and any discussion which this post may inspire.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Epsilon0, Yomyom and Brink
nitrogen

nitrogen

Schrödinger's cat
Nov 5, 2019
Well written @GoodPersonEffed.

I often think of how the psychiatric/psychological system works. Many times people talk about chemical imbalances, yet where are the blood or other tests that prove this? If an illness is truly organic and is in the brain, why are people put on drugs rather than first being given brain scans? With the exceptions of vitamin D and thyroid testing, there are in general no medical tests for the pseudo-medical diagnoses given. Psychiatrists follow the DSM in the US and the ICD in Europe, matching symptoms to lists under diagnostic labels, and very often confirming diagnoses by how individuals respond to medications, not by any kind of scientifically verifiable testing such as scans.
Me and @Misanthrope did a deep analysis of this on a previous thread of mine. It's been read over 4000 times and should serve as a nice supplement.
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...l-diseases-and-the-field-of-psychiatry.27182/

Reactions: Yomyom
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
"a person's identity is not a psychiatric diagnosis or label"

I agree with this completely. The bitter reality for me is that, because I suffer from a chronic and quite debillitating illness, it affects every aspect of my life and somehow takes over my whole existence. I've fought tooth and nail to not let that happen, but it has, and I often feel my illness has hijacked my body and my mind. Sadly, I feel I am a prisoner of me/cfs and I cannot even conceive of myself without my illness... I forgot what it's like to be healthy. My identity is me/cfs - warrior.

"someone by a label encourages condemnation and discrimination, as well as self-condemnation and self-discrimination. It is difficult to heal or progress from a place of condemnation."

You make two very important remarks in your post: a diagnosis is a double-edged sword. On the one hand it offers comfort and it puts a name to what can be a vague and diffuse suffering. On the other hand it condemns the individual, because there is power in naming things and the instant you put a label on a condition, you risk becoming that label. And labels have connotations and layers upon layers of meaning. So, in getting a label, you get so much more than just a diagnosis - you inherit all the prejudices, stereotypes, fears and expectations that other people have in relation to that diagnosis.

Thank you for writing down all these ideas, @GoodPersonEffed !

• Love
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
@Epsilon0, my personal responses to what you shared about your debilitating condition within the scope of this thread...

What a dual challenge that is -- to have a condition so thoroughly pervade your life, and to have it be defining, even if that definition is not the diagnostic label, but the opposition to what is attacking/invading your body, such that you are a warrior (I like that so much better than "survivor!"). At least it is an empowering label, yet it also resonates for me with regard to my own challenges, as I get so damn tired of fighting, especially if it is not something I have the power to stop. (Please note I'm not trying to shift the focus from you to me, but sharing how I empathize and feel at a personal level what you have shared about what is personal to you; good writing often touches the reader inside of their own unique self, and is part of the cycle of the universal being personal being universal). There is power and victory in being a warrior, even if the warrior does not always win. But damn I wish for you that you could win more than just at the level at the psyche, but against the conditions, and that their root causes could be revealed and effectively addressed. So yeah, your response brings out many responses in me. Thank you for sharing both your experience as well as your intellect.

Also...

I'm glad you recognized that about the double-edged sword. It was why I was hesitant, because in general one seeks a diagnosis because they are seeking relief, and one may not want to face until they are ready to discover for themselves that the diagnosis can end up being a conflicting experience that may bring new challenges or a different kind of suffering. A diagnosis may even be a detour on a very long journey when one is seeking an end, not a drawn-out continuation with no end in sight. The warrior spirit can be helpful, though, in fighting for oneself with empowering knowledge and not placing themselves below the labels, the models, the diagnosticians, or the system that presents itself as meant to serve them. In such an environment, part of being a warrior is being a self-advocate, and that is challenging when one is tired and already under attack by the very conditions they are seeking help to accurately identify and alleviate.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Epsilon0
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Fun fact: I am a huge Survivor fan. Here's one of their best songs, if you feel like listening to it.

I can feel a strong desire
A distant fire burning through the past
Deep inside my heart is yearning
A bridge is burning
There's just no turning back
After all the hell I've tasted
Years I've wasted
Love that slipped away
Suddenly a vision shook me
I see the fool I'd become content to play
Over one-way streets in blindin' heat
I carry this torch alone
I ask for no directions home
You can call out my name but I won't return
I'm a fugitive of love and this heart's been burned
Oh, burning bridges behind me
You can follow me down but it's plain to see
I'm a victim of the burn and it's third degree
Oh, setting bridges on fire
I will go to any length
To find the strength
To face the night alone
Standing on the edge of time
I cross the line
My heart becomes my own
Gonna tell you why you're a fool to try
To cross a burning bridge
It's a long hard fall from the top of the ridge
Oh, burning bridges on fire, on fire, oh, oh

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Fun fact: I am a huge Survivor fan. Here's one of their best songs, if you feel like listening to it.

I can feel a strong desire
A distant fire burning through the past
Deep inside my heart is yearning
A bridge is burning
There's just no turning back
After all the hell I've tasted
Years I've wasted
Love that slipped away
Suddenly a vision shook me
I see the fool I'd become content to play
Over one-way streets in blindin' heat
I carry this torch alone
I ask for no directions home
I will go to any length
To find the strength
To face the night alone
Standing on the edge of time
I cross the line
My heart becomes my own
Gonna tell you why you're a fool to try
To cross a burning bridge
It's a long hard fall from the top of the ridge
Oh, burning bridges on fire, on fire, oh, oh

Hmm, I don't see the connection, so I'll ask directly rather than trying to figure it out: how do those lyrics relate for you to the thread?

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Hmm, I don't see the connection, so I'll ask directly rather than trying to figure it out: how do those lyrics relate for you to the thread?

No connection, just a great song. No deep meaning here.
I thought of the band Survivor when reading your post.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Labels are used by the lazy and weak minded. When you consider that much of the population under the normal curve is both lazy and weak minded, then that's why we need labels. As someone who has been labelled and thus dismissed, it's shit. But then that's how it works or we probably wouldn't be here. So hey, so what?

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Labels are used by the lazy and weak minded. When you consider that much of the population under the normal curve is both lazy and weak minded, then that's why we need labels. As someone who has been labelled and thus dismissed, it's shit. But then that's how it works or we probably wouldn't be here. So hey, so what?

I use labels... All the time.

I am not proud of it, and I try to be open-minded and remind myself that reductionism is dangerous.

But it's the way I have been taught to make sense of the world by categorizing people.

At least I am aware I am doing it and actively trying to correct this learned behaviour. I am afraid that the majority of people lacks that awareness. That's why there is so much stigma surrounding mental illness.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I use labels... All the time.

I am not proud of it, and I try to be open-minded and remind myself that reductionism is dangerous.

But it's the way I have been taught to make sense of the world by categorizing people.

At least I am aware I am doing it and actively trying to correct this learned behaviour. I am afraid that the majority of people lacks that awareness. That's why there is so much stigma surrounding mental illness.
Oh I use labels too, that's what I mean. Labels are necessary. But they are also lazy and dismissive of the true complexity of things. I always moan about the term 'side effects' but what else are you gonna call them...profound secondary endocrine changes? Lol nah, we need labels but that doesn't stop them being lazy and over simplistic if you let them stick. Stuff can be more than one thing and sometimes those things can seem contradictory.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
@Underscore

"profound secondary endocrine changes"

It has a poetic ring to it. I say we start using it!

Reactions: Deleted member 1465