• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Back in the late summer, I came up with an ideal place for me to ctb. It was somewhere extremely meaningful to me and I thought it would provide me comfort in my final moments. It's an old small chapel in the woods. I mean very small - no pews, no altar, no candles or frills. There is a statue in it, and then otherwise it could probably hold 12 people standing comfortably. I'd still really like to end things there for several reasons, but the fact that I've picked a ctb date in winter adds some complications. Firstly - there is no heating (obviously) and the chapel isn't even fully protected from the elements. There are gaps in the windows, by design. I guess it's somewhat hard to describe without showing you photos, but I'm hoping this is making some sense.

Anyway, my plan was to leave home after my family was asleep, take a cab to the nearest drop-off spot outside the forest, walk through the forest to the chapel (typically a 25-minute hike in the summer), and take the SN there. I would have completed all the other steps of the regimen prior to arriving at the forest, so I could take the SN right away, lie down in the chapel, and wait to die.

So my question to you all is this: Could I still ctb in this place effectively in the winter?

Where I live, the average overnight temperature in January is about 4ºF / -16ºC. Does anyone have experience spending a night outside in such temperatures? Would regular winter outerwear be enough to protect me or would I need some extra things? My thought was a winter coat, a sleeping bag, and a quilted blanket. I have no experience with being outdoors overnight in the winter, though, so I'm not even sure if that'll be enough. I'm also thinking about the hike to get to the chapel (likely through quite a bit of snow) and what effect that may have on the process. Would the exercise warm me up? Would I acclimate to the cold? Would I freeze before I even got to the chapel?

Naturally, winter makes this plan a lot more complicated, but the chapel is a very meaningful part of the plan to me, and I would like to maintain it if at all possible. I welcome any feedback you can offer. Thanks SS.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Escape Artist, voyager, justsad&done and 3 others
F

foxdie

Got my ticket
Aug 18, 2020
I've never slept outside when it's been -16 but I've lived through many a day like that.

I'm not super familiar with the SN regime but I think it has fasting? If so you'd have to worry about being light headed (or possibly fainting) in the cab and on the hike. Also when it's that cold, the only way to stay warm is with movement or extreme winter gear. Which wouldn't be possible once you get to the chapel, unless you plan on taking the SN immediately. Freezing and frostbite is very likely.

Sorry you've been brought to consider this friend. Sending love your way :heart: Personally I think there are too many variables. Unless you don't mind freezing to death, which others on here have considered. I wouldn't do it but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: justsad&done and Deleted member 22624
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Well I definitely don't want to freeze to death. That sounds awful. One of the reasons I've chosen SN is because it's less agonizing than other methods.

If I have to do it in a hotel or something, I suppose I could do that, but it wouldn't be the same. I have one other thought on a meaningful indoor location, but I don't know how I can get in there because I think they've locked everything up because of COVID. *sigh* I'm definitely not waiting till next summer.

• Hugs
Reactions: justsad&done and foxdie
N

neverever

Dec 10, 2020
Back in the late summer, I came up with an ideal place for me to ctb. It was somewhere extremely meaningful to me and I thought it would provide me comfort in my final moments. It's an old small chapel in the woods. I mean very small - no pews, no altar, no candles or frills. There is a statue in it, and then otherwise it could probably hold 12 people standing comfortably. I'd still really like to end things there for several reasons, but the fact that I've picked a ctb date in winter adds some complications. Firstly - there is no heating (obviously) and the chapel isn't even fully protected from the elements. There are gaps in the windows, by design. I guess it's somewhat hard to describe without showing you photos, but I'm hoping this is making some sense.

Anyway, my plan was to leave home after my family was asleep, take a cab to the nearest drop-off spot outside the forest, walk through the forest to the chapel (typically a 25-minute hike in the summer), and take the SN there. I would have completed all the other steps of the regimen prior to arriving at the forest, so I could take the SN right away, lie down in the chapel, and wait to die.

So my question to you all is this: Could I still ctb in this place effectively in the winter?

Where I live, the average overnight temperature in January is about 4ºF / -16ºC. Does anyone have experience spending a night outside in such temperatures? Would regular winter outerwear be enough to protect me or would I need some extra things? My thought was a winter coat, a sleeping bag, and a quilted blanket. I have no experience with being outdoors overnight in the winter, though, so I'm not even sure if that'll be enough. I'm also thinking about the hike to get to the chapel (likely through quite a bit of snow) and what effect that may have on the process. Would the exercise warm me up? Would I acclimate to the cold? Would I freeze before I even got to the chapel?

Naturally, winter makes this plan a lot more complicated, but the chapel is a very meaningful part of the plan to me, and I would like to maintain it if at all possible. I welcome any feedback you can offer. Thanks SS.
I have a similar plan, to walk into the forest to a meaningful spot before taking the SN. My date is approaching, and I live in a US state, so I'll also be contending with winter.

• Hugs
Reactions: Wisdom3_1-9, justsad&done and foxdie
F

foxdie

Got my ticket
Aug 18, 2020
Well I definitely don't want to freeze to death. That sounds awful. One of the reasons I've chosen SN is because it's less agonizing than other methods.

If I have to do it in a hotel or something, I suppose I could do that, but it wouldn't be the same. I have one other thought on a meaningful indoor location, but I don't know how I can get in there because I think they've locked everything up because of COVID. *sigh* I'm definitely not waiting till next summer.

I can tell that chapel is very important to you but I can only be honest. I don't normally comment on SN threads as I don't feel confident enough to. However, I'm from Canada and one thing I am confident in commenting on is the cold. Not to be messed with, especially with temperatures that low. Like you said freezing to death sounds awful.

Sorry you can't wait until summer and your other location is locked up. I hope you are able to find a situation you can feel comfortable with. This ctb thing is tough no matter what for sure.

Reactions: Wisdom3_1-9
J

justsad&done

Visionary
Nov 11, 2020

The chapel sounds beautiful and and it sounds as though it holds great meaning for you. Would it still provide you with the comfort you intend for in such cold temperatures though? If you are freezing will you still be able to appreciate the chapel?
Dressed properly, you would not freeze before getting to the chapel. The right footwear would be necessary to prevent frostbite on your toes. I don't think you would acclimate to the cold. From what I have read, SN works fairly quickly. So although you would be very cold, you would likely lose consciousness quite fast.

Reactions: demuic and Escape Artist
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
From what I have read, SN works fairly quickly. So although you would be very cold, you would likely lose consciousness quite fast.
So there's another interesting factor... would the SN work quickly enough to render me unconscious, so even if I did freeze to death, I wouldn't really feel it. It might be an insurance policy on the death? Idk. I'm still mostly terrified about the cold making things super uncomfortable.

It's the middle of January, so we may get a "January thaw." I wonder what temperature would be okay for me to try this outdoors. Would 32ºF / 0ºC be okay or would that still be too cold?

Reactions: Deleted member 22624 and justsad&done
J

justsad&done

Visionary
Nov 11, 2020
So there's another interesting factor... would the SN work quickly enough to render me unconscious, so even if I did freeze to death, I wouldn't really feel it. It might be an insurance policy on the death? Idk. I'm still mostly terrified about the cold making things super uncomfortable.

It's the middle of January, so we may get a "January thaw." I wonder what temperature would be okay for me to try this outdoors. Would 32ºF / 0ºC be okay or would that still be too cold?
I'm certainly no expert on SN or freezing temperatures. But I grew up in the northern US and I think at 32F you would okay---which kind of begs the question, what is okay. Meaning, you would be cold, but you would be able to do the hike and get to the chapel. And yes, the SN would render you unconscious so I think you would be dying from the SN not freezing to death. I think you need to ask yourself whether you would still get the comfort you're looking for from the chapel even in very cold weather.

PursuitofWonder

PursuitofWonder

Student
Dec 12, 2020
I do a lot of winter camping in sub zero temperatures. Considering SN makes you cold already, make sure to dress as warm as you can, winter coat, winter gear, all that. You would likely pass out quickly enough for it not to be a big issue. Just to be safe though, I would plan for failure in a way. Bring a sleeping bag meant for sub zero temps, and fuel such as kerosene to build a fire if needed. The last thing you would want is for the SN to take longer than expected or just not work at all, leaving you helpless and freezing to death painfully. If you find yourself having failed the first try, warm up via sleeping bag or fire for a while and then go for it again. Overall if you play it right it should be fairly comfortable. You can pass up all this if you are okay with being cold and uncomfortable for the last bit of course.

Reactions: Deleted member 22624, Wisdom3_1-9, sourpink and 1 other person
K

Kruger

Arcanist
Dec 26, 2019
Agree with the previous poster. Could you hang on til spring? My plan involves being outdoors too and I've realized it's not feasible in this weather.

W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Well, the date is more important than the venue for me. I guess I'll find somewhere else. Things never worked out the way I wanted in life; why should it be any different when it comes to my death? :-)