Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
As my post title reads, aren't I not allowed to believe that this life for all of it's terrible tragedies and horrors is not an existence worth dealing with? It seems that for how far we've come with technology and innovation, suicide and the right to die is still seen as some form of taboo that must be quashed at all costs. I feel like the Ancient Greeks had a way better grasp on an individuals right to die, all a person had to do was request poison from a physician and they would provide it, Shit the Greeks even showed significantly more emotion in grieving the dead than our modern day society with the "Suck it up" attitude. We maybe living in a far advanced society but we left our true humanity behind decades if not centuries ago and that's not a world I believe is worth being a part of.

• Hugs
Reactions: conarc, jar-baby, Somethingiswaddling and 25 others
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
You are within your right to believe anything you want. I happen to agree with you, as I don't find life particularly pleasant, or just, or meaningful and I am apalled by the fact that we inflict existence and thereby suferring upon our children. But I don't deny other people's right to believe the exact opposite.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Somethingiswaddling, AntHills, Rabhen and 8 others
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
As my post title reads, aren't I not allowed to believe that this life for all of it's terrible tragedies and horrors is not an existence worth dealing with?

Of course you're allowed to believe anything you want.

We maybe living in a far advanced society but we left our true humanity behind decades if not centuries ago

I don't think we're less human & humane than our ancestors who lived millennia/centuries/decades ago.

• Hugs
Reactions: Rabhen, nopointofliving and Pluto
Rain_Hermit

Rain_Hermit

Dec 12, 2021
We are constantly surrounded by delusional dimwits who firmly deny pain and suffering of others. Most people have a rabid desire to control others and have a hard time minding their own business.
If our ancestors had at least half the decency to not pry into another's life ,we wouldn't have a such a grim history.

• Hugs
Reactions: alexit, Rabhen, cyanol and 4 others
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
It seems society has no problem with us critiquing any number of things within life, but critiquing life itself is socially unacceptable.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: jar-baby, Rabhen, cyanol and 7 others
Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
life is full of grievances for some people. It is very unfair. Life can be very pointless. I wish I was never born

• Hugs
Reactions: Rabhen, cyanol and nopointofliving
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think in a life like this, wanting suicide can be perfectly rational. Life is just a pointless struggle for decades on end and there is no limit as to how much we can suffer. For me wanting to escape it, makes sense. Suicide should not be so stigmatised. Anyone who says that life is always worth living is clearly delusional. It is up to the individual whether their life is worth living or not.

Reactions: Rabhen, cyanol, myopybyproxy and 1 other person
M

myopybyproxy

flickerbeat \\ gibberish-noise
Dec 18, 2021
Certainly, you're allowed - but society frowns upon it. Careful where you say these things - could cause undesired fallout eg sectioning.

A

alexit

Mage
Jun 3, 2020
As my post title reads, aren't I not allowed to believe that this life for all of it's terrible tragedies and horrors is not an existence worth dealing with? It seems that for how far we've come with technology and innovation, suicide and the right to die is still seen as some form of taboo that must be quashed at all costs. I feel like the Ancient Greeks had a way better grasp on an individuals right to die, all a person had to do was request poison from a physician and they would provide it, Shit the Greeks even showed significantly more emotion in grieving the dead than our modern day society with the "Suck it up" attitude. We maybe living in a far advanced society but we left our true humanity behind decades if not centuries ago and that's not a world I believe is worth being a part of.
I have a theory that it's a fear of the life insurance industry and other staples of society falling apart. If people could CTB easily, then it would be a foundational shift that would upset people invested in a system where suicide is illegal.

Reactions: conarc and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I remember watching 'I, Claudius' (BBC series) when I was young and finding it refreshing how suicide was depicted in the Roman empire. I don't think it was seen as the taboo it is today. BUT- it seemed to depend on who you were. The wealthy classes seemed to have that choice but slaves didn't. The majority of us today are wage slaves.

• Informative
Reactions: Green Destiny and conarc
Captive_Mind515

Captive_Mind515

King or street sweeper, dance with grim reaper!
Jul 18, 2023
Society at large is probably never going to fully accept someone's autonomy over their own choice of life or death.

Giving away that much power to individuals, is too dangerous. We live with the illusion of freedom, where as that would be a real genuine human freedom.

But good luck stopping this tsunami wave... because as technology and human knowledge continues to improve, it's only going to become easier and easier for someone to achieve a peaceful death. Society will not be able to stop it in the long run. Far more people are suicidal in this world, than official statistics will show you. But the stigma of suicide and lack of access to reliable peaceful methods, forces people to endure unhappy lives because they think they have no other alternatives.

When the floodgates open, maybe then society will finally wake up and actually fix the broken aspects of people's lives and make this a better world to live in. If we fail to do this, then suicide will become a very popular choice for future generations.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexit and conarc
A

alexit

Mage
Jun 3, 2020
Society at large is probably never going to fully accept someone's autonomy over their own choice of life or death.

Giving away that much power to individuals, is too dangerous. We live with the illusion of freedom, where as that would be a real genuine human freedom.

But good luck stopping this tsunami wave... because as technology and human knowledge continues to improve, it's only going to become easier and easier for someone to achieve a peaceful death. Society will not be able to stop it in the long run. Far more people are suicidal in this world, than official statistics will show you. But the stigma of suicide and lack of access to reliable peaceful methods, forces people to endure unhappy lives because they think they have no other alternatives.

When the floodgates open, maybe then society will finally wake up and actually fix the broken aspects of people's lives and make this a better world to live in. If we fail to do this, then suicide will become a very popular choice for future generations.
That's another good point. Suicide is bandied like the great evil. If suicide were accepted, the spotlight would move onto the real evils that drive people to suicide. But those problems are too hard, so suicide is made out as the scapegoat.
"Suck it up" attitude
Man does this sum it up! I gotta remember this one.